Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 22:35   #16

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL
Re: volvo 2002 18 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Worst series Volvo ever built. Do a forum search and you'll find all the info.
Actualy the ONLY series of small engines volvo designed themselves since 1964..

The MD6-MD7 are Albin engines and indestructible, The MD5 was built by Volvo but based on the Albin design.
The MD 20X0 series are shibaura engines , bought from perkins. VP D1-13 : same story, bought from Perkins.

I guess we could draw the conclusion that Volvo did good selling engines , not making them..

.manitu
manitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:45   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
Actualy the ONLY series of small engines volvo designed themselves since 1964..

T

I guess we could draw the conclusion that Volvo did good selling engines , not making them..

.manitu
Yes, Volvo said the 2000 series was state of the art. I always said it was experimental. After this series they went to Perkins and a Kubota block. The 2030 series.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16   #18

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
We have had the boat, with this engine, for about 7 years. We generally motor about, maybe, 75-100 hours per year. We are not unhappy with the engine.
Not to bad-mouth the engine too much, mine ran decently for 10 years worth of the same kind of usage, 75-100 hours a year, which isn't a bad thing. Fresh water pump replacement, a couple of water pump">raw water pump rebuilds, a motor mount, coolant side flushes. It really wasn't till we started full time cruising that the engine started to show its true colors, The Green Devil. And by that time it was a 20 year old engine.
Old 04-03-2013, 14:23   #19

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Not to bad-mouth the engine too much, mine ran decently for 10 years worth of the same kind of usage, 75-100 hours a year, which isn't a bad thing. Fresh water pump replacement, a couple of raw water pump rebuilds, a motor mount, coolant side flushes. It really wasn't till we started full time cruising that the engine started to show its true colors, The Green Devil. And by that time it was a 20 year old engine.
I hear what you are saying. I'm not giving the engine a ringing endorsment, merely outlining our 7 years worth of experience.

I do have reservations about the engine's suitability for future more long-term live-aboard crusing, not only because of the (perception of) unreliability issues but also because it is a pretty old engine and probably a little under-powered for a 40' boat.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:09   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I have a 1985 18hp model in a pearson 30. So far its been good. But on startup right after launch, found the water pump to be peeing into the bilge...oh oh. I'm hoping this is just a bad gasket under the cover plate. Any thoughts...its my first time messing with this engine.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 17:31   #21

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I have a 1985 18hp model in a pearson 30. So far its been good. But on startup right after launch, found the water pump to be peeing into the bilge...oh oh. I'm hoping this is just a bad gasket under the cover plate. Any thoughts...its my first time messing with this engine.
My experience was the head had to be pulled off as the leak came from behind the plate and the seals as well as the bearings (press required) had to be replaced. Once that was accomplished all was right with the world.
Mine was a 1984 model but that had never been done before so I would say it's time for yours as well.
All the best
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford sloan View Post
My experience was the head had to be pulled off as the leak came from behind the plate and the seals as well as the bearings (press required) had to be replaced. Once that was accomplished all was right with the world.
Mine was a 1984 model but that had never been done before so I would say it's time for yours as well.
All the best
Clif
Thanks for the reply Clif!

So yesterday I pulled off the pump cover (4 screws). I took off the paper gasket. Then I carefully cleaned everything with paper towels. Put it back together and what a surprise...no leaks!

I'll still check the oil for water, and watch the exhaust for white smoke, but at this point it looks like I dodged the bullet. I motored from the launch marina to my home dock, about 30 minutes of engine, with no trouble.

Now my next problem is getting the furler to furl....I think I've got too much halyard tension and I'm getting wrap....but that should go in another forum section...

Dave
Old 10-05-2013, 04:26   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I think folk are being a little unkind to these engines and it is unfair to compare them to todays small engines. Afterall what were the other manufaturers producing in the 1980s? At least Volvo still support these engines with spares, which is a relief as ours is 24 years old now.

If you compare them to cars, how much would a 1984 VW Golf (Rabbit) cost to keep on the road today?

We had the head off due to small oil leak and the water pump rebuilt at the same time couple of years ago. Hopefully she will run for a good few years now.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:36   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I think folk are being a little unkind to these engines and it is unfair to compare them to todays small engines. Afterall what were the other manufaturers producing in the 1980s? At least Volvo still support these engines with spares, which is a relief as ours is 24 years old now.

If you compare them to cars, how much would a 1984 VW Golf (Rabbit) cost to keep on the road today?

We had the head off due to small oil leak and the water pump rebuilt at the same time couple of years ago. Hopefully she will run for a good few years now.

Pete
You are right. I may gripe about my 1985 volvo, but so far, it has never let me down, or even grumbled. I've run it through some tough conditions, and it just keeps on turning. Most of my opinion is gleaned from reading on the internet...my personal experience is quite positive...so far...LOL.

Tags
volvo