Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 23:35   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Goteborg City,
Boat: 31' GRP Folkboat
Posts: 273
Re: volvo 2002 18 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Worst series Volvo ever built. Do a forum search and you'll find all the info.
Actualy the ONLY series of small engines volvo designed themselves since 1964..

The MD6-MD7 are Albin engines and indestructible, The MD5 was built by Volvo but based on the Albin design.
The MD 20X0 series are shibaura engines , bought from perkins. VP D1-13 : same story, bought from Perkins.


I guess we could draw the conclusion that Volvo did good selling engines , not making them..

.manitu
__________________

__________________
manitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:45   #17
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,138
Re: volvo 2002 18 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
Actualy the ONLY series of small engines volvo designed themselves since 1964..

T


I guess we could draw the conclusion that Volvo did good selling engines , not making them..

.manitu
Yes, Volvo said the 2000 series was state of the art. I always said it was experimental. After this series they went to Perkins and a Kubota block. The 2030 series.
__________________

__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:16   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,583
Re: volvo 2002 18 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
......
We have had the boat, with this engine, for about 7 years. We generally motor about, maybe, 75-100 hours per year. We are not unhappy with the engine.
Not to bad-mouth the engine too much, mine ran decently for 10 years worth of the same kind of usage, 75-100 hours a year, which isn't a bad thing. Fresh water pump replacement, a couple of water pump">raw water pump rebuilds, a motor mount, coolant side flushes. It really wasn't till we started full time cruising that the engine started to show its true colors, The Green Devil. And by that time it was a 20 year old engine.
__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 15:23   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tasmania
Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Posts: 2,317
Images: 91
Re: volvo 2002 18 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Not to bad-mouth the engine too much, mine ran decently for 10 years worth of the same kind of usage, 75-100 hours a year, which isn't a bad thing. Fresh water pump replacement, a couple of raw water pump rebuilds, a motor mount, coolant side flushes. It really wasn't till we started full time cruising that the engine started to show its true colors, The Green Devil. And by that time it was a 20 year old engine.
I hear what you are saying. I'm not giving the engine a ringing endorsment, merely outlining our 7 years worth of experience.

I do have reservations about the engine's suitability for future more long-term live-aboard crusing, not only because of the (perception of) unreliability issues but also because it is a pretty old engine and probably a little under-powered for a 40' boat.
__________________
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:09   #20
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,149
Re: volvo 2002 18 hp

I have a 1985 18hp model in a pearson 30. So far its been good. But on startup right after launch, found the water pump to be peeing into the bilge...oh oh. I'm hoping this is just a bad gasket under the cover plate. Any thoughts...its my first time messing with this engine.
__________________
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 18:31   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Palm Beach, Fl.
Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"
Posts: 140
Re: volvo 2002 18 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I have a 1985 18hp model in a pearson 30. So far its been good. But on startup right after launch, found the water pump to be peeing into the bilge...oh oh. I'm hoping this is just a bad gasket under the cover plate. Any thoughts...its my first time messing with this engine.
My experience was the head had to be pulled off as the leak came from behind the plate and the seals as well as the bearings (press required) had to be replaced. Once that was accomplished all was right with the world.
Mine was a 1984 model but that had never been done before so I would say it's time for yours as well.
All the best
Clif
__________________
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:45   #22
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,149
Re: volvo 2002 18 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford sloan View Post
My experience was the head had to be pulled off as the leak came from behind the plate and the seals as well as the bearings (press required) had to be replaced. Once that was accomplished all was right with the world.
Mine was a 1984 model but that had never been done before so I would say it's time for yours as well.
All the best
Clif
Thanks for the reply Clif!

So yesterday I pulled off the pump cover (4 screws). I took off the paper gasket. Then I carefully cleaned everything with paper towels. Put it back together and what a surprise...no leaks!

I'll still check the oil for water, and watch the exhaust for white smoke, but at this point it looks like I dodged the bullet. I motored from the launch marina to my home dock, about 30 minutes of engine, with no trouble.

Now my next problem is getting the furler to furl....I think I've got too much halyard tension and I'm getting wrap....but that should go in another forum section...

Dave
__________________
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:26   #23
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,561
Images: 14
Re: volvo 2002 18 hp

I think folk are being a little unkind to these engines and it is unfair to compare them to todays small engines. Afterall what were the other manufaturers producing in the 1980s? At least Volvo still support these engines with spares, which is a relief as ours is 24 years old now.

If you compare them to cars, how much would a 1984 VW Golf (Rabbit) cost to keep on the road today?

We had the head off due to small oil leak and the water pump rebuilt at the same time couple of years ago. Hopefully she will run for a good few years now.

Pete
__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:36   #24
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,149
Re: volvo 2002 18 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I think folk are being a little unkind to these engines and it is unfair to compare them to todays small engines. Afterall what were the other manufaturers producing in the 1980s? At least Volvo still support these engines with spares, which is a relief as ours is 24 years old now.

If you compare them to cars, how much would a 1984 VW Golf (Rabbit) cost to keep on the road today?

We had the head off due to small oil leak and the water pump rebuilt at the same time couple of years ago. Hopefully she will run for a good few years now.

Pete
You are right. I may gripe about my 1985 volvo, but so far, it has never let me down, or even grumbled. I've run it through some tough conditions, and it just keeps on turning. Most of my opinion is gleaned from reading on the internet...my personal experience is quite positive...so far...LOL.
__________________

__________________
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
volvo

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.