Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 15:55   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Viewing a boat by proxy

So I've got my short-list of pocket cruisers (8-15k range), and they're scattered mostly along the pacific coast, with a few on the atlantic side.

I've contacted owners, and got what info I can, but for most of these boats I lack unbiased information, or surveys. Some also have only a few photos.

Before I go on an epic road trip to see all these boats, I'm hoping to narrow my scope a little. Is there a means by which to have a fellow sailor go look at a boat for me, as sort of a preliminary inspection? I'm not prepared to pay for a survey on a boat I have no trusted info on.

I was thinking of using something like mechanical turk for this, but I would rather connect with a person who actually knows a bit about boats, and be willing to pay for their time and efforts. Has anyone done something like this?
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 17:42   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Viewing a boat by proxy

Hmmm interesting idea... but...
First do you have a good collection of photos from owners? Any records of maintenance especially on engine? Know someone familiar with boats?
I think if you start by showing those to a sailing friend that you have close by, that would be a better way to gauge which boats to really go check out. Personally I would not go so far afield that the costs start getting out of hand. Now, if you already love doing long road trips and can chalk that up to entertainment by itself, then I guess it's fine. Personally I'd stick with the coast you are on and then ask, are you ready to sail the boat home or will it be trucked? The cost of trucking could be more than the boat. If it is a pocket cruiser maybe you should start by shopping for a good heavy duty flat bed trailer, materials to make a cradle, and diesel pick-up, that can prospectively haul this boat with once you find it. I seriously considered that before finding the pocket cruiser I was looking for, but the one I was looking for just HAPPENED to be in the nearest marina! Yours may be too!
Just out of curiosity, which boats are you considering? We may be able to give some tips and info on them.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 18:14   #3

Thanks for the reply Don!

If I have a good collection of photos and reliable maintenance records then I'm goods shape. But I always assume the parties selling a boat, though not necessarily dishonest, will have an interested in showing/revealing only the more positive qualities and condition of the vessel.

"Home" is wherever the boat ends up being, and I'll be sailing off from there once ready. So location isn't too important to me, but I have a preference for the Pacific side. For the reasons you outlined, I'm mostly looking at boats that are in the water, or on the hard in a hull-out location.

The primary goal of the road trip will be to find a boat, but most certainly it will be its own adventure!
Old 13-03-2017, 18:30   #4

Wow. So you are going to move TO the boat? Liveaboard? If so, check if they allow liveaboards there in a small boat. The limit where I am is 35 ft. And don't keep us in suspense, which boats are you looking at?
Oh, and if you have a friend who knows boats, they can probably separate the wheat from the chaff by seeing photos of make, year, condition, extras and what/when refit, maintenance and, the all-important, engine condition. BUT if you are getting a pocket cruiser, maybe you are looking at boats with an outboard?
Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-03-2017, 19:06   #5

Yeah. I left my job, and am taking my humble savings for a 2-3 year trip around the world (or as far as I can get).

More likely I'll stay with a friend on a month-to-month basis if the boat isn't already in a liveaboard location, until something can be arranged.

Boats that meet my perceived requirements and fall into my price range include:

- Contessa 26
- Tartan 27 & 30
- Cape Dory 27 & 30
- Albin Vega 27
- Bayfield 29
- Alberg 30
- Rawson 30
- Pearson Vanguard 32

So mostly small budget 30-50 year-old proven passage-makers.
Old 13-03-2017, 19:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
Yeah. I left my job, and am taking my humble savings for a 2-3 year trip around the world (or as far as I can get).

More likely I'll stay with a friend on a month-to-month basis if the boat isn't already in a liveaboard location, until something can be arranged.

- Contessa 26
- Tartan 27 & 30
- Cape Dory 27 & 30
- Albin Vega 27
- Bayfield 29
- Alberg 30
- Rawson 30
- Pearson Vanguard 32

What??? No Columbia 29??? (you ought to get a look at one if you are in that market! Pretty tough little boat and pretty sure I am faster than all the others on the list! There is a whole thread about them here.)

All are good boats. I am not sure I'd call a Rawson 30 or a Vanguard a pocket cruiser though. Rawson has a HUGE cockpit. Not a speed demon, especially in light air, but roomy. Vanguard is a good one too but our vintage may have some issues. Pearsons need wood rudder replaced. Most need compression arch under the mast to be rebuilt by now. No Pearson Triton? My buddy has a Cheoy Lee Luders 30, also a pretty tough little boat. You might add that one to the list. There are some others I might add too, just in case you are still thinking. Since you are in the 30 foot range, a Yankee 30 or the 26 are very good choices too. There was a 26 that came up here recently from the Caribbean via Panama. It was sold and is now in the marina here somewhere. Pretty stout little boat, good design (Sparkman and Stephens) and good performer. Better than mine I have to admit!

Since you are in Portland, can I suggest you look for a boat between SF and San Diego? It will be considerably easier to launch yourself from there when you are ready to go. The stretch between Portland and SF can be pretty...interesting... sometimes.

I'm guessing you have see the Atom Voyages website? If not, you should, it is designed for folks like you:
Atom Voyages - Home
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-03-2017, 19:32   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Here's an idea. Say you've done enough photo analysis on a boat to really consider it a candidate. Then from there you might progress to having a buyer's broker or similar, do a live (real time) video walk through of the boat, while you are conversing with him at the time. So that you can request that he focus for a moment on X, or zoom in on Y, etc. Much as is done in many other types of recon missions where the folks in the field have uplinked video cams, & real time comms.

Is it the same as being there? No. But it's a step up from posed, selected/selective, still photos. So it should give a much truer feel for the boat, & as importantly, whether or not it's worth taking a trip to see her yourself.

PS: And if it's not obvious, record such a session so that you can review it again later. Also, in deference to Jim's below comment, here's a resource list of some other (vetted) small boats Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
www.atomvoyages.com

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 19:34   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:

- Contessa 26
- Tartan 27 & 30
- Cape Dory 27 & 30
- Albin Vega 27
- Bayfield 29
- Alberg 30
- Rawson 30
- Pearson Vanguard 32

If you likke the TArtan 30, add the Yankee 30 to your list. Similar design, a bit faster, and a joy to sail.

Jim
Old 13-03-2017, 20:12   #9

The "face-timing" is a good idea if I can get a seller to do it. If not, I can probably request they take photos of particular regions of interest before paying for a survey.

I have the Columbia 29 on my list, but there just aren't any on the market (at least not on my primary sources -- sailboatlistings and yachtworld).

I wasn't aware of the Yankee 30, but I've added it to my list. I see what you mean though, a very similar S&S design. I found 9 examples on the market, with the cheapest being 8K and the most expensive being 30K. The Tartan 30 has a bigger market at 16, but a similar price range -- maybe a few thousand less on average. Thanks!
Old 13-03-2017, 20:14   #10

Don't know, but maybe this might be an option too?? Just saw it listed. Yankee 26
In beautiful shape and has a trailer...
over in Idaho

BTW, Columbia 29 also came in a flush deck version, Columbia Defender. They and all models after '63 I believe, had 4100# of ballast compared with the original 3120#.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-03-2017, 20:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Don't know, but maybe this might be an option too?? Just saw it listed. Yankee 26
In beautiful shape and has a trailer...
over in Idaho
Yeah I saw that one. Doesn't have a motor though, and it sounds like it's a project still.

I found this example though on the other coast:
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/51729

And there's an "expensive" example in my area so that I can at least get a look at the design and what to look for:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972...7#.WMdjADsrJaQ

Sailboat markets are pretty slow for this category I imagine. A lot of these boats have been listed for years. Is this pretty typical?
Old 13-03-2017, 20:27   #12

Quote:
Yeah I saw that one. Doesn't have a motor though, and it sounds like it's a project still.

I found this example though on the other coast:
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/51729

Sailboat markets are pretty slow for this category I imagine. A lot of these boats have been listed for years. Is this pretty typical?
Looks like a great boat for $8,000! So maybe you will move to South Carolina? That 1985 engine, it would be nice to know more about it. and schooner rigged??? don't see that.
Yes some boats will sit for a long time, but not the good ones with good prices. That Yankee probably will sell soon. But don't rush out in a panic, other good boats for good prices will pop up if it sells, and maybe right in your neighborhood!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-03-2017, 20:34   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:

- Contessa 26
- Tartan 27 & 30
- Cape Dory 27 & 30
- Albin Vega 27
- Bayfield 29
- Alberg 30
- Rawson 30
- Pearson Vanguard 32

I think this is the boat you have been searching for.
The Cape Dory Board • View topic - SPECIAL FOR CD OWNERS ASSOC! CD 30K Ketch for $10,000!
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 20:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Wow! Maybe there should be a new thread, Steady! Awesome (potentially anyway) boats for $10K and under!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-03-2017, 20:44   #15

That's a really good deal on (what looks like) a well-maintained CD30.

The web-app I developed to monitor the market has 19 examples of CD30s, and the cheapest one is 11.5K, and the most expensive is 47K.

Goes to show that sometimes the best deals are the ones that aren't widely advertised.

Edit: Same boat: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976...s#.WMdsfTsrJaQ

One concern I'd have with a boat like that is the wheel steering -- how much work is it to convert back to a tiller configuration?

Tags
boat