Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 15:31   #1

Victoria 18 and St Pete info

Hello! Purchased a Victoria 18 off eBay for cheap. Has old main, jib, gennaker and pole. Also has a bottom equatic sanctuary full of barnackles. Moving it from mermaid point/shore acres east side of St Pete to yacht club estates off bocca Ciega bay this weekend. Thought it was closer but didn't get the location of boat until after sale. Owner thinks it's a two day trip? I estimate 16-18 miles at 4 job should be about 4-6 hours? I plan to scrape bottom clean and sail it there. I've not boated down St Pete way and am unfamiliar with waters. Have chart and hand held box and vhf.
Any bits of wisdom and advice would be appreciated. Looks like there is a channel just enough of the tip marked intracoastal waterway. Would like to steer clear of the main ship channel into/out of Tampa Bay. Is the bridge high enough for the V18? Is there a southern entrance into bocca Ciega bay/yacht club estates or do I go out gulf side and enter at North entrance?
Please no neigh Sayers, your gonna die Sayers, etc the boat will be gone over good to check for safety issues, rigging, etc. Weather is a factor as they forecast 40% rain but that would be welcome in the 95degree heat! Thanks for any help. Any Victoria 18 I do would be nice as well. What I read is it is a pretty solid little sailboat that tender early but sails well once hardened up.
Sailormanbigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 15:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Victoria 18 and St Pete info

A few thoughts.

First get the bottom cleaned. The growth will make a slow boat slower.

Second it is what it is. Pack food, water, rain gear, anchor, shanghai someone for a crew and take your time.

As I recall that is a 18 nm trip. Even at 3kts it is a day trip. Assuming you do have an engine that works.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 20:43   #3

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

You should have no problem going under the dick meisner bridge ( north end of skyway) then straight up through pinellas bayway structure E it has 25 ft clearance closed, you'll probably need to request an opening. Turn north and go under the new structure C bridge with 65 ft clearance and you're in Boca Ciega bay. I think you need to clean the hull first, and get an early start. Probably take you almost a full day.
Old 18-05-2017, 21:06   #4

Let me know if that's too confusing.
Old 19-05-2017, 00:13   #5

Pesarsten, this is the exact info I was looking for! Thank you. I will reread your route and try and find the bridges you mention on my chart book? It is 10 years old? Would you know how many miles this is? Can hardly wait for the adventure. New old boat, new waterway, should be fun. My middle 26yo son has volunteered to go with me so will have another pair of hands on the hull scraping and helm. Would you have any recommendations for a pit stop or an overnight docking place should my metal not be up for the task? Thanks again.
Old 19-05-2017, 09:33   #6

Thumbs up Re: Victoria 18 and St Pete info

I'd be happy to talk with you after you look at your charts, not much has changed in the last ten years other than a new 65 ft bridge for structure c ,so I think your charts are fine. I would guess that the distance is around 15 miles and you do not use the main ship channel or leave the bay.
Paul
Old 19-05-2017, 09:59   #7

Key question was do you have an engine? Are there any currents under that bridge? Have an anchor at the ready to deploy if no engine or engine status unknown. You can anchor quickly to figure out what to do or wait for a bridge opening.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:09   #8

Boat: Scout 30

Neat boat! Won't take too much engine. A Honda 2.3 or similar would push it just fine.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:17   #9

Trying to rack my brain for what to do? No dock to keep it at really added to what was supposed to be a fun adventure with my son. Frantically trying g to come up with something. Look for used trailer -none with high bunks, or look for in the water dock until I can find one. Don't know the area well enough. Guess I will try active captain?
Old 19-05-2017, 12:03   #10

Along the way you can stop at......
St Pete municipal Marina @ 4 miles
Magnesia hotel Marina north end of skyway ( Meisner ) bridge on east side @ 10 miles
O'Neils Marina north end of skyway on west side @ 12 miles
Terra verde Marina just thru the Pinellas bayway structure E @ 14 miles
After that you're almost in BOCA Ciega bay

Leave from shore acres at the start of the Ebb ride the outgoing tide to the Meisner , wait for slack between the meisner and structure E , then flood will push you through the new structure C into Boca C bay.
Could be a fun day!
Old 19-05-2017, 12:04   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormanbigd View Post
Pesarsten, this is the exact info I was looking for! Thank you. I will reread your route and try and find the bridges you mention on my chart book? It is 10 years old? Would you know how many miles this is? Can hardly wait for the adventure. New old boat, new waterway, should be fun. My middle 26yo son has volunteered to go with me so will have another pair of hands on the hull scraping and helm. Would you have any recommendations for a pit stop or an overnight docking place should my metal not be up for the task? Thanks again.
There is no reason to rely on an old chart book when you can download charts and free software like CPN free. All you need is a tablet or laptop. Why not plan your route a day or two early including bridge clearances and radio call channels? Note, if you need a bridge to open you need at least a hand held radio that's fully charged to call the tender.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:12   #12

And I am pretty sure that you'll need structure E ( terra Verde bridge ) to open there's only 25 ft clearance closed.
Perfect timing would be to depart Sat 11 am from Shore Acres then depart from Tierra Verde 4:30 pm
Old 19-05-2017, 12:14   #13

Pesarsten, you have been and are a wonderful asset to mankind and the sailing world in general and this forum! Don't sound like you read the "latest" on my dilemma? I lost the dock in Boca Ciega to a stressed out son in law! Do you recommend those Marina's for short term dockage? I have this weekend and maybe next Thurs to work/ sail the little boat to a new destination. Or find a trailer? I leave for a week's vacation on Saturday and I work the other days. I live in New Port Richey and have a dock in Port Richey I can use but I don't think I can handle an overnight this weekend to get it there? I wonder if any of those Marina's have room for a little 18x5.5 footer? For reasonable price for a couple weeks or so? Thanks again. And yes it is a cute little thing!
Old 19-05-2017, 12:17   #14

Hand held VHS, and two GPS's are charging now!
Old 19-05-2017, 12:50   #15

Boat: Cambria 44/46

HI,
I've sailed a cape dory typhoon for years on Tampa bay with out an engine. It's nearly like the V18. That's not sailing in the ICW though. There it's crowded and shallow out of the channel. A sea breeze in the afternoon will likely be on your nose up the Maximo channel and under the Miesner bridge. Certainly do-able but not yachting broad reach.

What's your end point? the dock in NPR? If that's the case and your time is limited I'd do the trailer thing. I think the boat has a deck stepped mast that lowers easily. The boat ramps at the municipal marina are deep and well maintained.

Try and take enough time off to make and adventure out of it. Should be fun.
Don't leave where you are without serviceable ground tackle as was mentioned above.

Good Luck,
Dennis
St. Pete
DennisDW is offline   Reply With Quote