Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2014, 15:41   #1

Boat: Cal 2-46
Vessels to consider for circumnavigation

Hello, all!

The last big piece of the puzzle has fallen into place; I've sold my property and I'm now preparing for a 3-5 year circumnavigation.

I'm in the market for a 35-45 foot monohull, price before refit under $100k USD, and I was hoping for some suggestions.

I'm healthy, 35, in excellent physical shape. Technically inclined; not afraid to tear an engine apart for a rebuild. Happy to put the hours in (unless it's rebuilding a macerator ).

Some bluewater experience as crew, several years captain aboard my little Macgregor 26X (around 1500NM under her keel, mostly in Lake Ontario).

Ultimately, I'm planning to follow the trades West from Panama after "sea-trialing" through the Caribbean. Refit will occur in my home port of Montreal, or Toronto. I'm hoping to set sail by September at the latest, with the goal of reaching Panama by February, and Hawaii by March.

I'd be comfortable aboard a smaller boat, but would like the option of providing for crew comfort. I'm not afraid of the maintenance load of something bigger, but do worry about single-handing a vessel with large displacement.

Some things I feel are important:

- Glass hull (solid if possible)
- Cutter or ketch rigged
- Draft under 6'
- Easy access to all through-hulls
- Good reputation for deck coring, chainplates, deck/hull joint, keel joint
- Seakindly motion; I'm less concerned about performance, particularly to windward
- Large interior volume; it'll be my home for 3-5 years, after all!
- Sea safe galley, full nav station with comfortable settee, practical sea berth
- Good engine access

Right now under consideration:

- Corbin 39
- Fast Passage 39
- Caliber 35 LRC (late 90s; lower maintenance?)
- Cal 2-46 ketch (manageable with ketch rig?)
- Hans Christian 33

I plan to see some of these boats during a road trip South in January. Are there others I should look for? Any of those I shouldn't bother with?
glambx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 16:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Vessels to consider for circumnavigation

Cool! Good for you!

I wish you the best!

Are you planning on doing this singlehanded?

I looked at your list of boats.

I saw a lovely Colin Archer located in Canada. One of the nicest I have come across in a lot of looking. But it would likely be big for one and better with crew.

And an excellent condition Colvin Gazelle, outstanding example.

The Gazelle is at your price point in asking price. But both in steel, which some prefer for what you intend.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 17:19   #3

Check out Mariner 36(NH), early 80s production. Although now 30+ years old, well built, draft 5', displacing 17,000lbs. Good layout. There are some cream puffs on the market at about $50K asking price. So with complete circumnav refit you'd have a turn key boat for well under $100K.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 17:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Cool! Good for you!

I wish you the best!

Are you planning on doing this singlehanded?

I looked at your list of boats.

I saw a lovely Colin Archer located in Canada. One of the nicest I have come across in a lot of looking. But it would likely be big for one and better with crew.

And an excellent condition Colvin Gazelle, outstanding example.

The Gazelle is at your price point in asking price. But both in steel, which some prefer for what you intend.
Originally I was planning to go with my SO, but plans have changed. Now, I'm somewhat torn between something I could safely handle alone in all conditions (and through all emergencies), and something big enough to comfortably accommodate two.

If I go the the low displacement route, I'm probably "stuck" single-handing. If I end up meeting someone new between now and departure, either they know from day one that I'm leaving them, or I'm putting the trip off some significant amount of time to sell / refit a new, bigger boat.

If I start with something that could comfortably and safely accommodate two, odds increase that I'll run into trouble alone. Not to mention the needless expense and potential misery maintaining her at sea.

I know I sort of have two very different paths forward here, and eventually I'll have to make a decision. I was hoping a good list of options across the spectrum might make the right path more clear. Maybe there is a perfect compromise.

Regarding the Colin Archer / Colvin Gazelle, I'm not averse to steel hulled boats, but have no experience with them. I'll do some reading and add them to my research list!
Old 14-12-2014, 17:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Check out Mariner 36(NH), early 80s production. Although now 30+ years old, well built, draft 5', displacing 17,000lbs. Good layout. There are some cream puffs on the market at about $50K asking price. So with complete circumnav refit you'd have a turn key boat for well under $100K.
Added to my list. Thanks!
Old 14-12-2014, 17:45   #6

Boat: Stevens 47

Have you looked at a Bayfield 36? Solid full keeled boat, well made.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 18:03   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glambx View Post
Originally I was planning to go with my SO, but plans have changed. Now, I'm somewhat torn between something I could safely handle alone in all conditions (and through all emergencies), and something big enough to comfortably accommodate two.

If I go the the low displacement route, I'm probably "stuck" single-handing. If I end up meeting someone new between now and departure, either they know from day one that I'm leaving them, or I'm putting the trip off some significant amount of time to sell / refit a new, bigger boat.

If I start with something that could comfortably and safely accommodate two, odds increase that I'll run into trouble alone. Not to mention the needless expense and potential misery maintaining her at sea.

I know I sort of have two very different paths forward here, and eventually I'll have to make a decision. I was hoping a good list of options across the spectrum might make the right path more clear. Maybe there is a perfect compromise.

Regarding the Colin Archer / Colvin Gazelle, I'm not averse to steel hulled boats, but have no experience with them. I'll do some reading and add them to my research list!
I understand. I am in hopes of finding a mermaid for my future voyaging.

As I see it, two heads are better than one, and two hands are better than one.

But, back to your situation. ...

I suspect that spending 3-5 years alone on that boat at your age (or mine) would be rather tiresome as most Circumnavigators who wish to go alone seem to end up with some crew or partner along the way (Robin Graham's story comes to mind), unless there is some rule against it due to contests etc.

So, while I respect those who do singlehanded circumnavigations, I see no need to do so myself. I am not out to set a record, nor am I antisocial. Given my point of view, I intend to get a boat that will comfortably take me and others as crew. While I intend to make that boat one I can sail singlehanded, I do not intend to do so.

My own plan when I get my boat is to take crew as frequently as possible, most likely four people total, as it makes it easier to get sleep safely while on passages that are longer than 24 hours. A common problem for singlehanders is fatigue and not keeping a watch on deck.

My view is that the company of crew or shipmates can be fun (I know how to have a good time anywhere), and better for the boat and the voyage. But then I like people and can get along with most and enjoy meeting new people and sharing experiences.

I also know there are many who have the same dreams to sail across seas or in Polynesia or around the horn or in blue waters, but may not have the boat to make it happen or the experience yet to do so. As I see it, it is win+win for boat owner and crew. That said, I would not expect those crew to stay aboard for the multi year voyage, unless one is in a relationship or family or best friends.
Old 14-12-2014, 18:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Have you looked at a Bayfield 36? Solid full keeled boat, well made.

gunk
I'd never heard of Bayfield before, but both the 36 and the 40 ketch look very interesting. I was planning to see a Cal 2-46 in Oriental, NC, and there's a seemingly well maintained bluewater-ready 40 listed in my price range in the area as well.

It's listed as having two aft staterooms, which would offer the interesting possibility of converting one to an "office" or workshop.
Old 14-12-2014, 18:10   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Colvin Gazelles are nice, well thought out boats. With the possible exception of cockpits. My neighbor went all over the place; solo, & with her SO. The junk rig, & simple systems make them easy to handle. Nice shallow draft, & interior layouts too. Lots of room inside, & they aren't squirrely to handle even at low speeds with a cross breeze, unlike some other design types.

In terms of them being steel, the biggest thing is coatings. Especially keeping a good solid barrier coat between the hull, & the bottom paint. And aside from that, there are plenty of colors which you can paint them which hide any small bits of weeping rust which you might get on the topsides or deck.

Regardless of what you're looking at/for, the book Steel Away (about steel boat construction) has the most comprehensive gear list of any I've ever seen, in it's appendices. It makes an excellent checklist for evaluating the "total" cost of a boat, including fit out, etc.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 18:11   #10

Boat: Stevens 47

The Cal's are great boats!

The Bayfields were manufactured in the Clinton, Ontario area. Ted Gozzard was one of the designers, and eventually started up the Gozzard line of boats. They are real beauties!

The 40' ketch has a weird layout, at least to me. Pretty on the outside though. One of the issues you may have is the amount of brightwork topsides to maintain...my 29' Bayfield kept me busy.

Good luck in your search, and good luck in your travels. Perhaps we'll meet out there one day!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 18:26   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was mistaken about that Colvin Gazelle, my memory slipped.

While I think it is the best I have ever seen of its kind, and it would make me happy to own it and sail it around the world, it is NOT steel.

It is Aluminum!

One should see it to appreciate it.
Junk rigged and beautifully restored and painted recently. It looks new and like it was dipped multiple times in white AwlGrip. Check out the details.

Compared to some of the other boats you might find on the market, I do find this one outstanding.

1975 COLVIN Gazelle Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	93581  
Old 14-12-2014, 18:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I understand. I am in hopes of finding a mermaid for my future voyaging.

As I see it, two heads are better than one, and two hands are better than one.

But, back to your situation. ...

I suspect that spending 3-5 years alone on that boat at your age (or mine) would be rather tiresome as most Circumnavigators who wish to go alone seem to end up with some crew or partner along the way (Robin Graham's story comes to mind), unless there is some rule against it due to contests etc.

So, while I respect those who do singlehanded circumnavigations, I see no need to do so myself. I am not out to set a record, nor am I antisocial. Given my point of view, I intend to get a boat that will comfortably take me and others as crew. While I intend to make that boat one I can sail singlehanded, I do not intend to do so.

My own plan when I get my boat is to take crew as frequently as possible, most likely four people total, as it makes it easier to get sleep safely while on passages that are longer than 24 hours. A common problem for singlehanders is fatigue and not keeping a watch on deck.

My view is that the company of crew or shipmates can be fun (I know how to have a good time anywhere), and better for the boat and the voyage. But then I like people and can get along with most and enjoy meeting new people and sharing experiences.

I also know there are many who have the same dreams to sail across seas or in Polynesia or around the horn or in blue waters, but may not have the boat to make it happen or the experience yet to do so. As I see it, it is win+win for boat owner and crew. That said, I would not expect those crew to stay aboard for the multi year voyage, unless one is in a relationship or family or best friends.
If you know James Baldwin's work, I'm more of that variety.

I'm definitely not antisocial, but I am usually content alone. I did a solo "circumnavigation" of Lake Ontario over the course of a month this summer (aboard the Macgregor 26X), and it was exactly what I hoped it would be. Without the pressure and demands of others, you can move fast and directly. It was an amazing feeling, arriving at beach, anchorage or marina and asking myself (and only myself): "Do I like it here? Do I want to stick around another day, or move on?"

I swear I'm not a selfish person. In fact the opposite; most of my life I've tried to satisfy the demands of those around me, and now I'd like to take a couple years to see what it's like living mainly for myself.

I was intending to single hand when I started planning 5 years ago, but I met someone in between. I reworked my plans to include her (and she was willing to go), but after terribly painful soul searching, I decided it just wasn't what I wanted.

Now, I'm 50/50 on the question. If I do go with someone, I need them to push me as hard as I push them. I'm a rock climber and backpacker, so a big aspect of the trip for me will be exploring the high grounds in between passages. Fearlessness and determination (if not technical skill) are important. I don't want to be held back due to their inability or disinterest. It's a tall order, and I know I'm unlikely to meet someone like that in the near future. If I don't, I'd rather do this alone.

Sorry for going off the rails here! Needless to say it's been a tough few months and a lot of contemplation. Now, it's time for me to focus on the next step.

So out of curiosity, what size boat are you looking at yourself? What do you think you'd be comfortable single-handing if/when the need arises?
Old 14-12-2014, 18:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
The Cal's are great boats!

The Bayfields were manufactured in the Clinton, Ontario area. Ted Gozzard was one of the designers, and eventually started up the Gozzard line of boats. They are real beauties!

The 40' ketch has a weird layout, at least to me. Pretty on the outside though. One of the issues you may have is the amount of brightwork topsides to maintain...my 29' Bayfield kept me busy.

Good luck in your search, and good luck in your travels. Perhaps we'll meet out there one day!

gunk
Yeah, the 40's layout isn't really what I thought it was. Does seem a little odd and inefficient if you're not chartering or frequently rotating crew.

And thanks! T'is a small world.
Old 14-12-2014, 19:04   #14
Marine Service Provider

Im sure that when the time come you'll have the greatest of the times, a circumnavigation is a hard project! But you'll get to know the world which is a magnificent experience. i wish you the best of the lucks and the best trip ever!
BoatShowAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 19:23   #15

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Amel Maramu or Santorin. Likely Maramu more in your budget. These are very practical sailboats with watertight compartments, large salon, lots of storage space. Most were ketch rigged too.

Fit all your criterion

:-) GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation