Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2014, 22:36   #61

Re: Vessels to consider for circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I don't find interior teak to be much maintenance at all. Once in a blue moon maybe....
I'm still liking the Fast Passage 39, available well equipped for well under 100k, bill garden design... and Tolly are well known for their construction...
Ditto. I was drawn to lots of teak. Feels cozy and smart. Like a good old English library room. As opposed to impersonal whitish or IKEA-like interiors of most current boats. And the woes of interior teak upkeep are greatly exagerated. I still don't understand how cold plastic/IKEA look is somehow better than warm teak.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 23:36   #62

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I think you'll appreciate an interior helm station at any latitude, especially if you're short handed. Being out in the weather can really wear out whoever's on watch. I wonder if you can see the sails from inside. Regarding price remember it's a buyer's market.
+1 on protected steering stations. There's a reason that workboats, & professional vessels of any size have them. That & that dodgers are found on FAR more vessels than not, even if they're only heading for Mexico.

As to being able to see the sails from the interior helm station on that boat, my guess would be yes, given the level of detail & thought which has gone into her otherwise. But if not, I'm sure that she could be modified so that you could check their trim, while staying; warm, cozy, & dry.
Though, regardless of the weather, & how clear the glass surrounding an interior/protected helming station, it's still prudent to do a few (at a time) 360 sweeps, from topsides, with regularity.

Also, +1 on the buyer's market thing. I've seen plenty of vessels for sale, literally drop their asking prices in half. And then still sit for a while. On nice, well equipped vessels, not just average ones, that is. So such is worth keeping in mind.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 06:48   #63

Boat: PSC 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Balme View Post
I'd check out Crealock 34 or 37's and Passport 40's and plan to have someone to share the adventure with!

Good luck!

I second this. Pacific Seacraft 34 or 37. Or I like the Valiant 40 suggestion, although I find them much larger than the PSC 37.

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Old 17-12-2014, 07:30   #64

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

I haven't read the whole thread, but here are a couple of circumnavigation capable boats (after refit) in your neighborhood (Toronto ?):

Hughes 40 ft. ketch | sailboats | Norfolk County | Kijiji

1976 Whitby 42 Ketch Sailboat | sailboats | St. Catharines | Kijiji

These are well below your price range, and will likely go for much less than the asking price. But you would need to put a bunch of time and money into them; In my opinion the knowledge and confidence gained in a refit increases your chance of success and is priceless for the type of trip you are considering.

Cheers,
JM.

P.S. I have no interest or knowledge of these boats other than having seen the ads. The designs are well proven, but these examples could easily be write-offs.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 07:44   #65

Shannon 37 or 38

Indestructible. Sea kindly. Easy to work on. Lovely as a ketch. Shannon can provide advice and parts.

1981 Shannon 38 Double Headsail Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Or for one already halfway around the world:

1982 SHANNON YACHT SHANNON 38 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 08:54   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Glambx,

Since you are considering single handing, and have some questions about handling a boat (of whatever size), AND you like the traditional styling of a Westsail, you might like this following boat.

Here is a link to a Tashiba 31 that would be a nice boat for a single sailor, has furling sails, electric winch, good sized tanks for water and fuel, and it only costs $49K asking. According to the photos, the interior looks like new. I like the styling (for traditional styled boats) and the berths that are 6'4" or longer w/generous headroom (6'3").

It is located in Michigan, so not too far from you to check out or transport or deliver to your home port in Canada.
1986 Tashiba 31' Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: (90 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (40 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (30 Gallons)

The yacht's designer, Robert Perry, had this to say about the Tashiba 31:

In his book Yacht Design by Perry he reflects, “I think the Tashiba 31 and 36 mark the best boats I ever designed with modified full keels. The boats were fast, close-winded, stiff, and well balanced. I constantly got calls from owners telling me how they had “beat” a local contemporary design.”

More info on this boat design here:
The Tashiba 31 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
Yes, pretty much a Baba 30built by another builder. and NO TEAK DECCKS!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 04:39   #67

Freedom 40 AC (Aft Cockpit)

put on your straw hat
shove a havana in your mouth
and just have' a look at this

ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 04:57   #68
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Ditto. I was drawn to lots of teak. Feels cozy and smart. Like a good old English library room. As opposed to impersonal whitish or IKEA-like interiors of most current boats. And the woes of interior teak upkeep are greatly exagerated. I still don't understand how cold plastic/IKEA look is somehow better than warm teak.

If kitchen trends are anything to go by, many people don't like dark wood. thats why.

Ive been in many new boats, some are very trendy, but many are quite conservative

Its also worth pointing out that teak is incredibly scare and Burmesse teak is banned in many countries because of illegal logging.

Most of the interiors in boats is called teak of course, its often sapele, african teaks or variants of mahogany.

PS: To the OP, if you are going to buy boats from the 80s you need to look past the long keels ( not required anyway), and examine the state of the gear. Modern equipment is usually better built and all mechanical equipment has a finite lifetime. Be especially cautious of boats that have lived in benign situations, often lots start to fail when its starts being worked again.
Old 19-12-2014, 12:39   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If kitchen trends are anything to go by, many people don't like dark wood. thats why.
where timber may look warmer,
where is the boat more likely to live or be encountered?

lighter is cooler and more airy but
whites enhance a feeling of space too
where darker tones such as wood close spaces up

wood is more usually quite solid, so it weighs more
composite interiors or mouldings are a lot lighter than fine joinery work
and cheaper to organise

appliqués and trim tend to be the concession for the traditional appeal
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 14:05   #70

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

One other thought. Check out a late-1980's (1985-1988) version of the Beneteau First 38. Although the "First" boats are now thought of purely as racers, back then, they were built on good lines and very durable.

Check out Andy & Liza Copeland's website: LIZA & ANDY COPELAND: World travellers, Cruising Authors and Speakers

They circumnavigated their First 38, "Bagheera", and have some insights into the boat. Other first 38's from that "vintage" have circumnavigated.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 02:07   #71

If you get to looking at Freedom's, make sure that "the fix" has been done on the spars a'la www.sponbergyachtdesign.com
Also, a few other designs worth a gander would be. Rafiki's, I've seen a stack of 37's listed at $40k (asking). They're one of very few of that design type which have a decent SADR. Ditto on Cape George's, plus, definitely just nice boats. A good friend had a 36', & I was flat out amazed at how well it sailed in the light SoCal air, given it's mass. This when I owned a Ranger 33' @ the time.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 25-12-2014, 03:48   #72

Ladies & Gents, it seems I made an error in the above post. Must be a bit tired, doing all of this waiting up for Santa thing. Anyway, where I said Rafiki, I meant Tayana.

Everyone enjoy the Holiday!

Old 25-12-2014, 05:46   #73

Boat: Scout 30

Boy there's a lot of good advice on this thread. Another boat that I've always admired & would be up to the task is the Cabo Rico 38. Plus they just look great!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 06:57   #74

There is nothing wrong with any of the advice given but the future owner might want to consider that many of these choices are not at their best in light air offshore and believe me there is lots and lots of light air days. The option in some of the heavy weights with average sail area is to motor sail or wait. If you choose to burn diesel you can go thru a lot of money. Personally I prefer a boat that will still sail well in lighter winds. Good luck in your search!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 14:26   #75
cruiser

If I could add a boat to your list. The Seafarer 38 Ketch is a great blue water vessel. Yes its old and Seafarer disappeared in the 80s but everything on that boat can still be purchased aftermarket. The prices are cheap with some restoration of course. We cruised the Caribbean on one and it was a solid boat that took us through full gales.
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation