Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2017, 20:49   #1

Boat: Chinook 34
Veneer, flooring, etc...

Hello all,

I am in need of mahogony veneer for my boat's interior. What is the standard thickness one sees to cover cabinets, drawers, etc. ... Is that 1/8"? That seems too thick. I am thinking 1/16 or 1/32"? Can someone suggest a good place to get some?

Also, flooring. I see new boats with the cherry wood and white stripes for floor boards. I would like to replace my old marine plywood with that. Where do i get it?

Cheers!
-Caolan
Caolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 11:05   #2

Re: Veneer, flooring, etc...

Woodworking veneer, cabinet veneer are a couple of search terms to use in your browser. There are application guidelines and videos as well. Possibly you will find one near your location.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 11:40   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

www.Edensaw.com They should have all you need & more.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 17:22   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

For your floorboards search for Teak & Holly marine plywood near you. Do make sure whatever you get is Marine grade. Voids and other problems in standard ply mean that you do all the same work to install it but it only looks good for about a month. I found veneers to renew our bulkheads at a plywood builder's supply house. Rolls 4' x 8' in a variety of woods - some exotic. You should be able to find similar places on the Left coast.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 21:33   #5

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Had to re-do an original teak and holly cabin sole on a 36 Catalina.
Those special Teak and Holly panels are way too large to fit through the large companionway so, had to use planks instead.
There was a great sale on solid wood, Brazilian hardwood that matched the original color and the teak cabinets, glued the seams with waterproof cement as I added another trimmed to shape strip and when done with a section, allowing some space for expansion at each perimeter edges, screwed the completed panel to the existing floor under it about 6" apart or so as to make a nice pattern.
Oh, that pre-finished solid wood was a joy to work with, looked marvelous and smelled like dried rose petals!. Easy to do and inexpensive. Guaranteed for 50 years!!.
Ah, easy to carry and fits through the companionway and has the flexibility to follow the natural curves of the cabin sole. Highly recommended.
Otherwise, there are several linoleum type tiles of different lengths imitating wood colors that can be cut and glued in place.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring