Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 09:29   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Vendee Globe 2016 - Bon Voyage!

Well today was the start of the Globe, at around noon local time in West coast France. I was lucky enough to have a great view of them starting from a nearby marina, however downtown Sables d'Olonne was a madhouse! Such a great thing to have such a following for sailing! People there were very surprised at an American showing up, haha. I had a great time and met some great people. I hope the best for the 29 skippers this year setting out on what will undoubtedly be a great adventure and race. We will see if they can beat Francois Gabart's record of 78 days set in 2012! Bon Voyage!!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:40   #2

Boat: None
Re: Vendee Globe 2016 - Bon Voyage!

I watched a replay of the start. Just beautiful! I'm very glad to here a few yanks showed up to cheer on our guy, and the sailors in all, and I'm often envious of France for having such a love for the sport.

I so want to do this, and I am foolish enough to believe I have the courage. I'm not so foolish as to believe I'll ever have the talent or the skills. Or the money...

Yes, very much bon voyage!

-
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:49   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Yes, very much about who you know, sponsors, etc. etc. Even with the money, pretty sure it is very political in getting a bid to compete. The younger sailors were extremely emotional leaving the port; you could feel the weight on their shoulders. Truly such a magnificent thing to watch. I hope all of them make it back to port in the next few months.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:02   #4

Boat: Boatless at the moment

For who wants to follow them..

Tracking Vendée Globe 2016-2017
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-vendee-globe.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	135191  
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:21   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

Now I'm jealous but it was exciting to see on the screen of my Android before getting out of bed this morning. What great starting conditions, too!. I'm particularly interested in seeing how the foiling boats manage. I find that to be a crazy-hot fascinating and wild way to sail!! Wishing them all well and God speed.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:38   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Wow what a start! Wouldn't we all love to be on one of those boats? Funny, even though those boats are designed to handle tons of load, they still look kind of delicate from a distance. Now 80 days of salt water blisters and rashes, no decent sleep and lots of peanut butter and jelly? ah, just kidding... I'm sure some of those boats have caviar.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:10   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Wow what a start! Wouldn't we all love to be on one of those boats? Funny, even though those boats are designed to handle tons of load, they still look kind of delicate from a distance. Now 80 days of salt water blisters and rashes, no decent sleep and lots of peanut butter and jelly? ah, just kidding... I'm sure some of those boats have caviar.
We wouldn't.

Getting one is quite an easy matter. They sell at around 200k for an older but sound one.

Apparently, to 99% of boat owners, sailing condos are more tempting than sailing boats.

Property owners in their Lagoons and sailors in their Imocas ... ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:30   #8

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We wouldn't.

Getting one is quite an easy matter. They sell at around 200k for an older but sound one.

Apparently, to 99% of boat owners, sailing condos are more tempting than sailing boats.

Property owners in their Lagoons and sailors in their Imocas ... ;-)

Cheers,
b.
Some real old ones have been turned in cruising boats. It seems that even with several racing circumnavigations the hull and structure are in pretty good shape.

Some years back I was at anchor on one of the Greek Islands and had as neighbor one of those. Pretty beautiful even if more than 20 year's old, it was painted light blue. Kind of make me fell envious even if the maintenance of such a bird should not be cheap.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 16:13   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Some real old ones have been turned in cruising boats. It seems that even with several racing circumnavigations the hull and structure are in pretty good shape.

Some years back I was at anchor on one of the Greek Islands and had as neighbor one of those. Pretty beautiful even if more than 20 year's old, it was painted light blue. Kind of make me fell envious even if the maintenance of such a bird should not be cheap.
In this ARC there is an alloy 'copy' of Aquitaine Innovations built to become a cruising imoca. Look her up. I think named Capo di Fora. A truly lovable beast - simple, powerful, comfortable.

CAPO DI FORA Boat for sale

She was not on the start line today so expect to see her on the tracker in two weeks, in the main fleet.

We nearly bought Titouan's boat when she was listed decaying in Venezuela. Asking was only 100k, but I know how much it costs to get a boat from derelict to seaworthy (full 60' of it too). Way beyond my financial reach. Too bad. I hope she has a new owner now. A lovely boat.

There are at least two boats that are IMOCA inspired and built for cruisers. One is Ourson Rapide and the other is something by Elliot, I think.

Argghhhhh. Dreaming, dreamin ... ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 17:42   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Thanks DDabs for starting g this....my favorite race.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 19:45   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I watched the videos of the start, video 1 live and video 2 later in the day. Now I can't find them. Web TV seems to be blocking them. Is anyone else having the same problem?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:29   #12

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Vendee Globe 2016 - Bon Voyage!

[QUOTE=DDabs;2251871]Well today was the start of the Globe, at around noon local time in West coast France. I was lucky enough to have a great view of them starting from a nearby marina, however downtown Sables d'Olonne was a madhouse! Such a great thing to have such a following for sailing! People there were very surprised at an American showing up, haha. I had a great time and met some great people. I hope the best for the 29 skippers this year setting out on what will undoubtedly be a great adventure and race. We will see if they can beat Francois Gabart's record of 78 days set in 2012! Bon Voyage!![/QUOTE

DDabs, question was that Gabart seen going back at the start the mainsail has Macif on it and that was the name of the boat he won in 2012.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:53   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Francois Gabart is not racing this time around. Bertrand De Broc is skipper of MASCF.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:57   #14

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Vendee Globe 2016 - Bon Voyage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Francois Gabart is not racing this time around. Bertrand De Broc is skipper of MASCF.
Thank you for the info, I guess my guy has no excuses (Armel Cleach that is)
he better come in in less than 78 day trip. Bon Voyage Armel counting on you.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:05   #15

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Yes, very much about who you know, sponsors, etc. etc. Even with the money, pretty sure it is very political in getting a bid to compete. The younger sailors were extremely emotional leaving the port; you could feel the weight on their shoulders. Truly such a magnificent thing to watch. I hope all of them make it back to port in the next few months.
Not really political but linked with economics and advertising that is what counts for a sponsor.

While the interest for the Vendee Globe is big in Europe and huge in France, on the US is reduced and that means a French has much more possibilities to get a Sponsor because the publicity will be much more effective due to the big French public interest in the race and the French big media coverage.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote