Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 23:30   #1

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Valiant 47

I have the hots for a Bob Perry design from the 1980s called a Valiant 47. I think they were built in the US and that not too many were built. Are they just a bigger version of the Valiant 40, or a different boat. Anybody know how they sail etc?
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Valiant 47

The early Valiant glass work was done by Uniflite. Uniflite had contracts with the Navy for river boats in Viet Nam and had requirements from the Navy to use fire retardant resins. They also used this resin in the civilian boats, supposedly as an added bonus. Unfortunately, the resin had severe blistering issues which eventually drove Uniflite into bankruptcy. Valiant also had problems with the Uniflite layed up hulls. Believe the 47 may have been part of the problem boats so be careful. An inspection and survey out of the water is needed.

Looked at one years ago that had been partially sunk when the senile owner left a hose off a seacock. Very roomy boats and nice looking if you liked the boxsy cabin. Should be a good sailor as Bob Perry's boats usually are. Really kick myself for not buying this boat as the price was right.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“... Compared with the very successful Valiant 40, the 47 shows a flatter bilge curve and a more cutaway forefoot; both of which contribute to quick response and maintenance of speed on tacking ...”
Valiant Sailboats: The First True Performance Cruiser

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

According to ➥ http://ccc.p2.net/History/Uniflite/H...20Uniflite.pdf

"The Famous (infamous) Blister Problem" The issue regarding the fire-retardant resins causing blisters in later years (1975+) was a result of a change in suppliers of the fire retardant resin (Hetron). Earlier models (prior to 1975) contained a fire retardant called "Hetron" manufactured by Dupont Chemical and these boats did not have any blistering problems. When Dupont ceased production of Hetron 1975, a different fire retardant was used from a different manufacturer. Unfortunately, the new fire retardant contained a solid form of the chemical bromine which, unfortunately, evolved into a gas when the fiberglass was warmed sufficiently. This happened to Uniflites in warmer climates like Florida and California more then it did in the Pacific Northwest. This bromine gas created an acid that ate its way out of the gel coat. For this reason, if you were to grind out a deep blister you would notice a "gooey" material. The only way to remove a blister properly is to grind it out, let it dry, then fill the hole with a vinylester resin ($$). It doesn't solve the problem entirely but should provide a strong barrier (plug) to prevent the blister from reaching the surface again. In reality, the blisters will likely return.

Also ➥ Uniflite, boat, boats, yachts, boating, yachting, yacht brokers, dealers, powerboats, motoryachts, marine, nautical, motorboats, cruising

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 18:08   #5

Bugger. I didn't realise they had the Uniflite problem. Mr Perry's designs light my fire and the 47 looked the goods.
Old 12-03-2011, 22:27   #6

Boat: 1979 CC Chen Aries-32; Thomas Gilmer Design- Hull #23
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Bugger. I didn't realise they had the Uniflite problem. Mr Perry's designs light my fire and the 47 looked the goods.

Cherp - All is not lost. Please consider picking up a copy of Yacht Design According to Perry. Additionally, I've seen posts from Santa himself here on CF, so he does lurk about and offer valuable knowledge and insight.

The book will-
1) Provide you with tremendous detail about where Bob's head was at for each an every design including the Valiant line. Later, the tooling was purchased from what was left of Uniflite, and moved to Keemah, TX, moving this wonderful boat out of the stigma of "The Blister Years". The Valiant 47 eventually become the Valiant 50. Pages 29 and 30 will run you through the history in Bob's on words.

2) I value and admire BP's work to the point where I'd stalk him like a rock star at a Boat show if he were there presenting :-). I'm particularly fond of the the Tayana 37 and the Valiant 40- and hope to own one one day. I came very close to owning a T-37 last year, but the deal fell through, and we wound up with a Thomas Gilmer designed Aries 32. It processes a number of the characteristics of boats such as Bob's Baba 30 design, or a smaller Tayana-37.

Valiant recently closed the doors to the production plant for new Valiant yachts, but will continue to provide parts and service.

Fair Winds To You!

Skipper Chuck
The Chester P
San Francisco, CA
Ciabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 23:30   #7

Good idea Skipper Chuck. I think I need that on my bookshelf. I guess Amazon would have it. If not, Bob Perry has a website and may send them direct.
Old 13-03-2011, 04:16   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

How about this one? Already had a complete blister job and not a bad price ... to start from.

1981 Valiant Valiant 47 Reduced. Must sell Sail Boat For Sale -
Old 13-03-2011, 07:39   #9

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Cherp, I own a Perry boat so I get it. One of the things that I noticed when we began our search was that you can absolutely tell which designs are his. They have a distinctive style. Imention this because if you can not find a Valiant that works, one of his other designs might do it for you. He offers consulting services and I think that would be money well spent if you are looking to buy one of his boats.

Here's a post on our blog about when we started looking- Our Life with Ceol Mor: Bob Perry is our Corpus Callosum
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 10:50   #10

Boat: 1979 CC Chen Aries-32; Thomas Gilmer Design- Hull #23
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
How about this one? Already had a complete blister job and not a bad price ... to start from.

1981 Valiant Valiant 47 Reduced. Must sell Sail Boat For Sale -

General Info- We've looked at this boat. Blisters are back and it needs to be done again. That is the only problem with this Valiant- Otherwise, it is absolutely beautiful inside, and wonderfully rigged. This is a single owner boat in one of San Francisco's most exclusive yacht club harbors- translation- it has been well looked after. I have a colleague considering putting in an offer- but be advised that this is a project and not for the faint of heart.

Chuck
Ciabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 11:05   #11
cruiser

Mimsy:
Holy Cow! I'm very flatterred. Thank you.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 11:15   #12

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

No Bob, thank YOU! Love our boat to bits because it is the perfect meeting ground of my needs and the husband's. I need safe, secure, easy to handle and home like. The hubster needs a boat that is not a slug, sure footed and a joy to sail. We are the ones who have won.

Thanks for not deciding to pursue music as your primary career choice!
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 11:39   #13
cruiser

Mimsy:
I think a lot of people can be thankful I did not stick with music. Mostly musicians.

And don't say anything abot the hair. I know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	young Bob.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	25015  
Old 13-03-2011, 12:12   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Wow. Prince Valiant. How apropos. An Es-175? Nice guitar.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 13:54   #15
cruiser

Hummingway:
Wrong. That is a Super 400. Much bigger and a lot more money.