Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 08:03   #1

Boat: Looking...
Valiant 40 vs. Passport 40

Way back when I first bought my Westsail in 1977 the buzz in bigger boats was often about the Valiant 40. I looked and sighed with desire, but could not afford one by a long shot. Truth told, I couldn't afford the Westsail either - if my brother hadn't been my partner in that venture, it would not have happened. "Go small go now" has always been great advice though, and I am glad we took it.

Anyway, in 1980 or so, I received literature on the Passport 40, and fell in love sight unseen. In 1982 or so, I chartered a Passport 40 for a couple of weekends in the Chesapeake, and was blown away by the boat's looks, handling under a variety of conditions, comfort, and build quality.

I have never sailed or been aboard a Valiant 40, but I have never heard anything but high praises for that boat as well.

The brilliant pen of Bob Perry drew them both, of course. As far as I have seen they are the prettiest of many lovely designs, although that is in the eye of the beholder...

Finally I am at the point where I can possibly afford one or the other. (My wife will have a different opinion, no doubt.)

I would be interested in the perspectives of others who may be familiar with the boats. In my view, either would be an ideal long distance cruiser for a shorthanded guy who is a bit less spry than he used to be.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:35   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Valiant 40 vs. Passport 40

I like the Passport better and believe it has a better quality rep, but considered both a 1 time.

But at the price of either there are so many other boats to consider that in the end I went with a modern design instead.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:31   #3

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Both heavy, slow and a bit dated, though I had a sailing buddy with the Valiant 44(?) that impressed me with its workmanship. Being a semi-custom boat, the interior was "distinctive" in its layout, but well put together.

Both have a very pretty profile, if you value traditional styling.

The huge knock is the early Uniflite-built Valiant's use of a fire retardant resin that resulted in the terminal osmosis of many hulls. This ultimately resulted in the bankruptcy of the company.

Passport 40 impressed me as an Asian boat (with all the pluses and minuses), particularly belowdecks, whereas the Valiant seemed somehow more familiar. I did once test sail the 40 before purchasing a Wauquiez 40 that better met my needs. I don't recall any untoward characteristics during the sea trial.

Clearly, any of these boats should have a very serious survey. In the end choose the one that rings your bell, though I wouldn't dismiss the advantages of newer design, perhaps again by Mr. Perry.

Good luck with your search.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:56   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Both are good boats. Seen V40s sailing far far way away from home. A friend of ours sailed a P40 rtw. Hence my guess is you will pick up the one that YOU like more.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote