Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 18:08   #1

Boat: Currently boatless
Valiant 40 in Light Wind

I'm considering a new to me sailboat purchase. Primary sailing will likely be Southern California--coastal cruising with some seasonal Mexico, Channel Islands & Central Coast (for surfing), etc.

I've read quite a bit about the Valiant, but can't seem to get info about light-gentle-moderate winds (7 to 12 knots) usually closer to 7 or 8

1) How does your Valiant 40 sail in the light-moderate winds of coastal SoCal?
2) Any other notable Valiant 40 characteristics for the type of sailing I'll likely be doing?

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
JimmyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 19:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
If last summers light air single handed TransPac has any relevance, you need a Westsail 32 for light wind work. DreamChaser is a Valiant 40, Saraband the W32. DreamChaser was in its 2nd TransPac so not a novice sailor. http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpa...010Results.pdf

Usually, light displacment will do better in light air but not always. If you are seriously looking for perfomance, you might check out the good old Cal 40. Great boats, relatively reasonable and a really strong build. Just be sure that the mast step has been rebuilt.

The Valiant 40 is a great boat but more an open ocean boat where the winds tend to blow and the seas tend to be long rollers. I'd be very happy with the boat for what you have in mind. Coastal cruising is just not your forte, however.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 21:27   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If last summers light air single handed TransPac has any relevance, you need a Westsail 32 for light wind work. DreamChaser is a Valiant 40, Saraband the W32. DreamChaser was in its 2nd TransPac so not a novice sailor. http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpa...010Results.pdf

Usually, light displacment will do better in light air but not always. If you are seriously looking for perfomance, you might check out the good old Cal 40. Great boats, relatively reasonable and a really strong build. Just be sure that the mast step has been rebuilt.

The Valiant 40 is a great boat but more an open ocean boat where the winds tend to blow and the seas tend to be long rollers. I'd be very happy with the boat for what you have in mind. Coastal cruising is just not your forte, however.
I agree my Cal 40 is a great light air boat. Lot of modern lightweight 30 footers with a faster rating though. I have more space and less motion though.

Last summers single handed transpac is not relevant for whether to select the Valiant 40. I followed it pretty closely since my friend in our club was in it and won with his Olson 30. Some boats went rhumb line as suggested by the weather gurus. Some boats went the traditional south route. A couple waffled in the middle for different reasons. Idefix and Saraband were two of the boats in the middle, there were close to 2 days that they got wind that neither the south or north boats got. Whether it was good planning or luck, being in wind when others weren't went a long ways to doing well this race.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 08:01   #4
cruiser

The V 40 would not be my choice if I was after speed in light air. If you really want a good light air boat you might look at some older IOR boats. Some had nice interors and they can be quick in light air.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 08:48   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
The more distance you put between yourself and Malibu, the more you'll appreciate the Valiant. But it's certainly not the boat I'd choose to skittle back and forth from Marina del Rey and Catalina.

It's interesting that you might want to use the boat to explore surfing sites on the Central Coast. If you're talking about the area between Santa Barbara and Monterey, you're going to find it incredibly difficult to anchor a boat anywhere near a good break. The inviolable rule here is that good surf makes for a bad anchorage. That whole section of coast only offers very few acceptable spots to drop the hook: Port San Luis, Morro Bay, maybe San Simeon except when it's southerly. The bottom line here is that no one has yet designed a boat that will serve as a good surf platform on the central coast. Not a sailboat, anyway.
Old 14-02-2011, 14:00   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
We do not have a Valiant but we have a similar if smaller boat.

I believe a Valiant will sail great in light winds provided you have and use the right kind of light wind sails and know how to build and keep your apparent.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 14:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
It's interesting that you might want to use the boat to explore surfing sites on the Central Coast. If you're talking about the area between Santa Barbara and Monterey, you're going to find it incredibly difficult to anchor a boat anywhere near a good break.
Except at Santa Cruz, Moss Landing, Carmel Beach, Hollister Ranch .... to name a few. Sounds like a great plan.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 14:45   #8
cruiser

light air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
The V 40 would not be my choice if I was after speed in light air. If you really want a good light air boat you might look at some older IOR boats. Some had nice interors and they can be quick in light air.
--so.. whats your choice for light air model plus ..yes..points well over 45 degrees into the wind,,just curious sir,,just sayin",,max hull speed plus amenities such as large saloon, galley and 2 privale cabins under 40" ft. cheers
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 14:47   #9

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We do not have a Valiant but we have a similar if smaller boat.

I believe a Valiant will sail great in light winds provided you have and use the right kind of light wind sails and know how to build and keep your apparent.

b.
If the designer of the boat says not his first choice, I think I would listen.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 16:07   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
If the designer of the boat says not his first choice, I think I would listen.

John
This is like to say the Pope is an expert on God ... an average church-goer, now, please, shut up!

If something is not the first choice, it does not make the thing the last choice either.

A carbo multihull is the first choice for light winds. But the OP did not ask about carbo multihulls.

I am not betting my money on a Valiant against a J-boat in light airs ;-) both boats being equally well equipped, prepared and sailed ...

Only pointing towards the general direction of the fact that many people underestimate 'classic' hull's sailability in light airs.

To Mr. Perry: I love your designs and may one day go for the 32'.

To the non-constructive criticist: I meant the RIB. Glad you did not read the part on sails and skills necessary for sailing (any boat, also an AC'er) in light winds.

Cheers,
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 18:20   #11
cruiser

Maybe the best way to compare boats is to check their PHRF numbers. Valiants usually rate between 125 and 130.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 18:29   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Our heavy boat has done very well in light air, I've found that what it lacks in slippery underbody it makes up for in sheer momentum. IE it will continue to move through chop and lulls that will slow down a lighter boat. But it's not a V40. and it won't beat out a J-Boat dressed with a racing suit.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 14:57   #13

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Valiant 40 in Light Wind

Thank you for the knowledge, input and feedback. It confirms what I had suspected...There are other sailboats that will not only be a better fit for my sailing needs but also connect with me aesthetically.
I'll post another thread for more input.
JimmyP is offline   Reply With Quote