Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 06:19   #1

Boat: 35' C & C Landfall
Valiant 40 - Headroom

I am wondering what the headroom of a Valiant 40 really is. The listings just say the headroom is 6 feet plus. I'm guessing the headroom must vary throughout the cabin. One review states it can be an uncomfortable boat for a tall person. I'm not sure what he means by tall. I am just over 6 feet, would this be a problem for me? Thanks, Mark
mnrsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 13:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
My Valiant never seems to bump heads, but it is an old one. 6 foot 2-3 inches is the offical headroom, but mine seems like more. I would just get on one and try it out. I don't think you will have any trouble.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 16:18   #3

headroom

Thanks Newt, it is a good suggestion, and I may have to do just that. I am presently sailing in the Carribean, and will have to fly back to the States to look further at this boat. I would like to avoid that hassle, if the headroom is insufficient. Your note sounds encouraging. So you believe the headroom of 6'2 or 3 inches is standard throughout the cabin? Or, perhaps that is the minimal, and as you noted, maybe more in other areas?
Old 13-04-2010, 06:59   #4

Boat: Rhodes 32
I did a pretty in-depth headroom study of a pilothouse V-40. We had one for sale and a tall client say 6'5" client called. I told him, "well I will measure but the owner is known as Tall Tim. He is 6'7", so I think she does have 6'5" headroom." I was really suprised at the result.

In the main saloon, headroom was 6′3″ in the center tapering to 6′0″ at the sides. Forward with the stepdown and sheer, headroom went up to 6′4″ in the master stateroom. I made sure to take conservative and accurate measurements. The shower is always an important spot. I remember this tapering from 6'2" to 6'0".

I was disapointed at this result. I do not know if this helps as I noted this was one of the pilot V-40's not a standard version. I do not have records on a standard one. If you, mnrsail, are set on high headroom which I would put at 6'3"+, I do not recommend the V-40, and a pilot version will not help either. You will always wish for more. But if all you need is your modest 6'2" clearance and maybe can accept low spots of 6'0", I agree with newt a V-40 is worth a try.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 07:09   #5

V40 footroom

Remember to check the V-berth too - the smallest actual length is 6'2 or 3" but there's a squeeze down at the foot end. Plenty length in the quarter berth,though.
acwest138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 13:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Next week I will be at my boat getting it ready for summer. I will measure it. Exactly how tall are you Mark? One thing about the Valiant- lots of deep lockers for dive equipment.(i dive too) I can go down in one locker, mess around with the steering and come up in another locker. Reminds me of the smuggling areas in Millennial Falcon on Star Wars...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 04:29   #7

headroom

I'm 6' 1/2" tall. So it sounds like I'll be okay traversing the center of the boat, but the sides could be problemmatic. So the galley be a problem? The shower, would that be 6' at the side as well? One probably does not stand there? The V-berth I might have to angle in? Thanks for everybodies help.

Tags
headroom