Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2006, 01:07   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Vagabonds, uh uh

The Vagabond 47 looks like the typical Taiwan Turkey. Will not sail to windward and take a gale to move them on other points. Need a big engine cause you are going to be using it a lot. By the way, they surf backwards a whole lot better than they do it going forward.

The Vagabond 42 looks like it might sail better but I'm not in love with the lines. Looks like one of those pirate ship wannabes.

The Liberty looks like a better design though I have no personal knowledge of them.

There are a lot of boats in the 42'-48' range with midship cockpits. A couple that come to mind are the Kelly-Peterson 44, Westsail 42-43, Various Ted Brewer designs, Amel, and even a Bristol might slip in there.

I'd keep looking and see as many different boats as I possibly could. Might even think about chartering whatever design you decide on for a week or two. Will give an up close and personal view of how the boat is going to 'Live'.

Stay away from Teak decks, period. They are a constant maintenance problem and can cause serious structural issues if not bedded properly.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 08:53   #2

Vagabonds Yes!

Peter, I am not sure from your response if you have actual experience with the Vagabond 47. I own one and my experience is greatly at variance with your opinion.

We liveaboard and cruise out of New England. We have found our Vagabond a solid, seaworthy boat. My dock neighbor is a licensed, commercial captain and has sailed all over the world; done Cape Horn several times. In his opinion of our 1983 Vagabond is an excellent blue water boat. We averaged 5-6 knots in a recent 3 week coastal cruise in moderate wind. It is a comfortable boat and I have every confidence in her. In 30+ knot winds you'll not even get water in the cockpit. We like at least 10 knot winds and are comfortable in 25-30. With our cruising spninaker, we do well in 4-6 knot winds on a run. So, with that range, we can sail when others are huddled in port.

The full keel and 20 tons means that it doesn't turn on a dime either under sail or power. We have an 85 hp Ford Lehman. You learn to use the inertial and prop walk to control the boat around the docks.

The ketch rig and full keel make it harder to sail to weather, but it hasn't been that much of problem. Being ketch rigged, sail handling is easy. Usually, it is just my wife and I. It is very easy to balance.

We have teak decks and love them. No deck leaks, good footing. Again, they are not for everyone. This is the first teak decked boat I've owned and have found that once we got the deck in good shape and learned how to take care of them they are not difficult. They do probably require more maintenance than other decks, but not as much as I thought.

Everything in boating is a compromise. When looking at older boats, a lot depends on the specific boat, it's history and quality. I am sure there were some poor quality Vagabonds built, just as there are poorly built Moodys, etc. We have lived aboard for over 3 years and would make the same decision to purchase her if we were to do it again.

Sorry for the long response. But, I thought your posting grossly misrepresented the Vagabond; at least, based on my experience and that of other owners I know.
Sojouner is offline   Reply With Quote