Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2012, 02:23   #1

Vagabond 47

Hello Forum/Cruisers/BoatOwner...

in January this year my wife and I bought a Vagabond 47 (1989) named EL PARADISO...

so we would like to find other owners to share informations about Vagabond 47 and maybe get some help, cause nearly the whole running rig was deinstalled by the previous owner, who died in January 2011 because of cancer... so no questions we can ask him... and no documenation...

Ok, so why did we buy... beacuse we're in love with that boat ;-)

Any commenst, informations, email-addresses e.g. are welcome

Best greetings from a warm and sunny Germany

Heike & Hardy Stock
GitPly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 10:35   #2

Boat: Freedom 35
Re: Vagabond 47

I have had a Vagabond 47 for 8 years. i am not an expert but would be happy to share my ignorance. I am in New York.
ketchdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 11:16   #3

Boat: Freedom 35

I have found her to be a reliable comfortable sea kindlyvessel. She lives aboard well. we have almost every option aboard and upgraded frequently.
ketchdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 19:44   #4

Boat: Vagabond 47

My wife and I bought a 47 Vagabond last year. If you have any questions I would love to try and help. I tried to send you a message with my info and website, but since I am new to this site it wont let me. Reply here or send me a message. By the way, i was born and raised in HH. Were are you?
Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 19:21   #5

Boat: 47 Vagabond ketch
Hello, my wife and have lived aboard our 1987 47 Vagabond for 11 years now, no regrets, love the boat and the life style. Would be happy to answer any questions if I can be of help.
Cheers
Bill
BlueHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 17:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
My wife and I bought a 47 Vagabond last year. If you have any questions I would love to try and help. I tried to send you a message with my info and website, but since I am new to this site it wont let me. Reply here or send me a message. By the way, i was born and raised in HH. Were are you?

Hello there, my wife and I live on our 47 Vagabond in San Francisco California bay the town is called Alameda, it is an Island. We are currently moored at Angel Island which is also in the San Francisco Bay, we are here for a week or so, it is our favorite spot to hang out in, it is well protected. Hope all is going well with you and your Vagabond.

Love to here from you.

Bill & Vicki
Old 11-06-2014, 04:42   #7
Marine Service Provider

Hello from Vienna Austria. I bought a V47 this month with location Gibraltar.
And I offer support as I am very good in electrics - electronics - mechanics.

But I do have an urgent problem too. Does anybody know the luff length and tape size of the genoa with furler?

Many thanks in advance...

willi
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:30   #8

So sorry I don't know the answer to your question.
Old 11-06-2014, 14:05   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Hello from Vienna Austria. I bought a V47 this month with location Gibraltar.
And I offer support as I am very good in electrics - electronics - mechanics.

But I do have an urgent problem too. Does anybody know the luff length and tape size of the genoa with furler?

Many thanks in advance...

willi
G'Day Willi,

That is a Facnor furler. If you look on the side of the drum part there will be an emblem with a model number on it (like LS-165). When you have that number, go to the Facnor website, where you will find specifications for the tape size. It is most likely 6 mm max, but may be bigger for larger units.

You should measure the luff length yourself. It's easy: using a 30 metre tape hooked to the shackle on the upper swivel, simply hoist it to the top of the foil and take the measurement to the tack shackle on the drum. This is the MAXIMUM luff length possible. It is good practice to allow ~150 mm for stretch, and another 50 mm for clearance. If you are looking for used sails and find one that is significantly shorter than that, you can add a pennant to the head of the sail so that the swivel ends up riding near the top of the foil. This is important to avoid halyard wrap.

Enjoy your boat...

Jim
Old 11-06-2014, 14:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

Hello Jim,
big thank you to you but I gotta problem. Ship's in Gibraltar with ETS Croatia July 12th and I am in Vienna. Well the guys in Gibraltar are not really helpful and the sailmaikers are booked until Sept. Gee - it is really a bit messy.
So I looked at the owners manual and got 48,7 for the Luff and will buy a used genoa 150% with 47.70 and #6 Tape. Pity is that it's gotta be flown from Oakland so I simply run out of time as I'll be in Gib on June 21st.

So what do I tell you - sure you face the same problems.

Fair winds and lot's of fun with the V47

willi
Old 26-07-2014, 07:28   #11

Greetings to all, I too bought a distressed '77 Vagabond 47' and owner is no longer around to help with any references or history: anyone out there with plans/drawings of the wiring, electronics, holding tanks & hoses? I'll take any and all advice as I'm beginning to trace everything to inspect and refurbish all foe safety's sake? There must be a centralreference point on line for the Vagabond 47? Next to my honey, this boat had been on my radar for almost as many years and I'm truly overwhelmed by her beauty and grace! Will appreciae all the help I can get.
FXbyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 03:39   #12
Marine Service Provider

Well yeah but you have to specify which problem you want to solve. I faced that the central electric "switchcase" is a real professional craftmanship. The Problems arew the stupid addons of preowners. My V47 for example has about 20 220V Sockets and the wiring is somehow through the bilge... Holy scrap...

Fear you have to bite your way through the electic mess. But if you have a specific problem I'am sure there will be help around..

willi
Old 31-07-2014, 07:01   #13

Thanks for the reply & yes, I'm re-wiring completely as she's on the hard for a few months getting the Ford Lehman 4D220 4 cyl overhauled (?)- I have a chance to reasonably buy a (running 2500 hr.) Yanmar 4JHtE 75 HP w/ matching Kanzaki 2.14:1 transmission- IF, the the overhaul is prohibitive, A question to all Vagabond 47 owners,: would this diesel swap be a comapitble one? Does anyone have schematics for these Vagabonds? Thanks again.
FXbyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 07:24   #14
Marine Service Provider

Just a personal comment: I would never change a primitve dino like the ford lehman with a new engine. The 4JHtE is a very good choice but with the Lehman you run 8knots on 1800 rpm's. not sure if the Yanmar would need 2500rpm's. Btw code's wrong, see:
4JH-TE5519851989at ENGINE MODEL CODES.

Schematic's - I am quite sure that there have never been schematics delivered to the customers and Blue Water Yachts is gone with the wind.

What I would do and will do with mine is:

1.) try to get a BIG cable pit below deck on the starboard side.
2.) try to insulate the batteries with big and logic +/- screw connectors
3.) start with engine and charging electric wiring.
4.) Think about a generator and and inverter 1500W (for a standard fridge)
5.) navigation lights
6.) navigation instruments
7.) cabin light's and such
8.) 230V electric wiring.

distribute to starbord on top with a cable channel too.
try to remove every electric part from the bilge like water pump's
If you got an engine room mount this parts as high as possible - at least 2ft above the floor.

Never use cable-plugs use rings and crimp them on marine cables (copper but each string tinned) Use shrink hoses to fully cover the crimped connections. Try to avoid soldering as the tin might be the wrong one and corrodes too.

willi
Old 31-07-2014, 07:48   #15

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

the good group over at leaky-teaky yacht club will be more than willing to help im sure, also sailboatdata.com for general measurements. ive delivered/sailed a couple V47s over the years. great salty boat for liveaboard and when well thought out, a decent cruising platform as long as you keep the wind abaft the beam. congrats on the purchase...
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote