Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 11:11   #1

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
USING ELECTRIC OUTBOARD AS STERN DRIVE

My Morgan backs like a pig. Looked into stern drives but $ 5-7 k is a little pricey. I'm wondering if a 5 to 10 HP outboard with remote throttle and reverse could work to offset adverse wind and/or tide Battery drain is no issue as I would be running the engine to enter or leave the slip. I'm wondering if anybody has tried this or knows good reasons not to.
The impact of a little drag on sailing speed does not concern me.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:39   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: USING ELECTRIC OUTBOARD AS STERN DRIVE

I'd have thought your Morgan would back fine, steerable once you get enough way on, prop walk usable in one direction or the other at slower speeds... Probably with boatloads of practice, etc., but still...

If necessary, though, I could guess a bow thruster might be more useful than an electric outboard on the stern.

-Chris
Old 07-07-2018, 19:06   #3

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
My Morgan backs like a pig. Looked into stern drives but $ 5-7 k is a little pricey. I'm wondering if a 5 to 10 HP outboard with remote throttle and reverse could work to offset adverse wind and/or tide Battery drain is no issue as I would be running the engine to enter or leave the slip. I'm wondering if anybody has tried this or knows good reasons not to.
The impact of a little drag on sailing speed does not concern me.
Just saw your post. My Roberts Mauritius also backs like a pig and I am considering putting a 15 horsepower outboard on a slide and a turntable so it can be used as a thruster when lowered to the water level. I would have a block set which would raise it back up on a twin rail setup so it could be stored at rail height above the gunnel. I have researched that a 15 horsepower Yamaha outboard has an identical thrust of a bow thruster appropriate for our boat which is a 43 ft steel ketch. My wife would operate the outboard from the duck board and assist the backing of the boat and also turning the boat if we ever get in the situation say between reefs when we have to turn in tight circumstances. It would also fashion as an emergency engine if for instance we might lose the main engine coming into an anchorage or marina etc. I don't think my wife is too keen on the idea but neither are we too keen on spending $8,000 or so installing a bow thruster and she does by the ancillary benefits prognosed
Velella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 10:03   #4

I'm now considering using the motor on the dinghy to turn the stern. My thought is that the forward motion would be applied at the deck cleats creating some heel thus reducing the force needed to turn. Any engineer out there who sees something I missed?
Old 21-07-2018, 13:49   #5

Just to push the stern, you likely don't need anything close to 5hp.

I would look at trolling motors. They make units that attach to the stern drive ventlation plate. You could mount it sideways and install it on a simple hinged bracket that has it completely clear of the water when not in use but could flip down in seconds to act as a stern thruster.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 14:59   #6

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Just to push the stern, you likely don't need anything close to 5hp.

I would look at trolling motors. They make units that attach to the stern drive ventlation plate. You could mount it sideways and install it on a simple hinged bracket that has it completely clear of the water when not in use but could flip down in seconds to act as a stern thruster.

Though about exactly this for a while, but never got to the point of trying it. 50 lb thrust should be enough to offset propwalk on sub-40 ft boats. Motor would be oriented so "forward" would counter propwalk, and "reverse" could be used to if you wanted to come about quicker. I thought of mounting it right on the bottom of the stern ladder.

Would be nice to be able to back up straight. Also could be used when docking to hold the stern in place until you get the stern line on.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 16:30   #7

Maybe the minn kota type electric motors. They have 3ft or 4ft shaft. Now days they have many with big power. Or a Torqueedo.
@$250 to $2000. Plus batteries. 12 volt to 48 volt
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 16:40   #8

THANKS FOR THE VARIOUS RSPONSES. QUESTION I ASKED WAS IF LOW ANCHORAGE WAS PREFERABLE TO DECK LEVEL CLEATS. WOULD BE GREAT ID SOMEBODY ADDRESSED IT.
Old 21-07-2018, 17:11   #9

Quote:
THANKS FOR THE VARIOUS RSPONSES. QUESTION I ASKED WAS IF LOW ANCHORAGE WAS PREFERABLE TO DECK LEVEL CLEATS. WOULD BE GREAT ID SOMEBODY ADDRESSED IT.
Don't understand....
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 07:27   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
I'm now considering using the motor on the dinghy to turn the stern. My thought is that the forward motion would be applied at the deck cleats creating some heel thus reducing the force needed to turn. Any engineer out there who sees something I missed?
Dave I will try to answer
The heal would be negligible so using tender to assist in tight quarters would be just fine.
Think tugboat and ship .

Tags
electric, outboard