Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-05-2013, 15:14   #1

Used Sailboats

We are looking at buying a 30-35 foot cruiser, have narrowed it down to a 30 Catalina Tall rig and a Pearson 34. Have read pros and cons on both boats, looking for more input. We are somewhat new to sailing--have not done it in 30 years!!!!
Thanks

Old 20-05-2013, 15:20   #2

Re: used sailboats

I haven't sailed either, but I think they are both good boats. On used boats the most important thing is overall condition, assuming both boats meet your requirements.

Old 20-05-2013, 17:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Kettlewell pretty much sums it up. If you are wanting insurance you might talk with a marine insurance broker and ask about the years and makes just to see if there is any difference. Also its really good to get a marine surveyor after an offer if you can pin down which boat will make do for your sailing. I'd stay away from a shoal keel or wing keel if that is one of the options for the Catalina. Also, a newer good running diesel is a major plus. Don't be lured by fancy electronics because unless they are new they will probably be due for replacement.
Good luck in your search. I have a feeling that the Pearson was originally a little better quality build but there is nothing wrong with the Catalina that hasn't been discussed in the Catalina 30 discussion groups which you can search on the web.
kind regards,
Old 20-05-2013, 17:11   #4

Boat: 1972 Morgan 35
Tim,

They don't seem to be terribly different. If I'm looking at the right Pearson they're both fin/spade. So your biggest question is which one YOU like more. The Pearson seemed to be popular enough to be brought back into production for a little while, and you'll be hard pressed to find a more popular sailboat that the Catalina 30. So you've got what I'd call "good" problems!

Good luck on your decision!

Tim
Old 20-05-2013, 18:04   #5

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I have a feeling that the Pearson was originally a little better quality build but there is nothing wrong with the Catalina that hasn't been discussed in the Catalina 30 discussion groups which you can search on the web.
kind regards,
I agree here. My opinion is the Pearson is overall the better, more solid build and probably a slightly better resale presence.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagdaTim View Post
We are looking at buying a 30-35 foot cruiser, have narrowed it down to a 30 Catalina Tall rig and a Pearson 34. Have read pros and cons on both boats, looking for more input. We are somewhat new to sailing--have not done it in 30 years!!!!
Thanks
Well after a lot of back & forth between herself & I we have made an offer in the Catalina!! Survey is next.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: