Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2016, 16:53   #16

Re: Used Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
What about fiberglass that is yellowing? Anyway to whiten it?
Use FSR, a gel, oxalytic acid.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 23:27   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Scarlet, if the yellow stain is below decks (a) it might be tinted gelcoat, or (b) it could be smoke stained from people smoking below. Try a careful cleaning of one spot, it may come off with something like Dawn or Joy. A mild oxalic acid wash removes rust stains. If you think it needs paint, clean it with TSP, rinse thoroughly with fresh water, let dry, and use paint of your choice. A lot of people think a creamy white is easier on the eyes than refrigerator whites.

Have never owned a brand new boat, never saw what you're talking about.

Ann
Old 28-07-2016, 16:06   #18

I've only owned one boat previously, a Bayfield 29. It was in sad condition, but the hull, the deck and the mast were good. I bought it CHEAP. I then rebuilt the Yanmar 2gm myself and took it to Pitman marine in Tarpon Springs for a bottom job. While there, I figured I might as well get the sides painted too. They told me all I needed was to have them buff them. When they were done, it looked like new.(thanks for saving me money, Pitman) I sanded and oiled all the wood. (I don't like varnish) cleaned and overhauled the toilet. (gaskets, etc.) Ran new wiring to everything. I learned a LOT about my boat, found some good people to work with,(marina, mechanic, parts suppliers, etc.) and spent less than $7k. To buy one in that condition...$12k - $18k. If you shop around. Did I get paid a fair wage for my labor? No. But I'm not scared of work. I am scared of spending money I don't have. I think that's why boats are laid up for over 2 years. Not enough cash flow. I'd rather work on the boat than work a job so someone else can work on the boat.
By the way, I'm looking for my next diamond in the rough. A bluewater liveaboard. Doesn't need to be free, but cheap would be nice!
Robert C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 23:58   #19

Wood & fiberglass is easily refinished.

Carpet & upholstery wear out eventually.

Smells: One issue is a lot of used boats are sealed up until you show up, so all the smells concentrate. Leave it open for a couple days and a lot of smells dissipate.

Rot and structural damage are the tough ones that may require gutting.

Keep in mind if you buy a boat that is just dirty, you can often get a lot off the price in exchange for a day or two of cleaning.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 15:32   #20

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

I watched a few videos on varnishing, to see how labor intensive that might be. is there other options for your interior woods rather than varnishing? I assumed that there must be some staining done before the varnishing, right? most of the boats we've liked have had that really nice rich teak, or mahogany. Do they typically just varnish that without staining?

Also, as long as I'm on woods... is there any way to restore grey teak on the deck? I notice so many boats allow their teak to go naturally grey. I personally prefer richer color... I know there are some options out there.. but what if it is already grey?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 15:36   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i was taught by wood boat restorers to use a green 3m pad then oil the wood liberally with teak oil or tung oil. wait, let it absorb before you regularly maintain it with sea water douching daily.
dirty teak will turn black and ugly. clean teak will be wood colored. after the oil soaks into the wood, donot varnish the deck, as you will lose the traction teak offers.

my house wood is teak, as are my cap rail and taff rail for miles and miles--i use sea water to wash it with 3m pad and then i slather oil and oil finish on it. her ei can only get mineral oil, but i prefer tung or teak oil finish. watco works. i prefer without coloring.
10 hours per year fro my millions of miles of teak.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 16:09   #22

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I watched a few videos on varnishing, to see how labor intensive that might be. is there other options for your interior woods rather than varnishing? I assumed that there must be some staining done before the varnishing, right? most of the boats we've liked have had that really nice rich teak, or mahogany. Do they typically just varnish that without staining?
We simply sanded and filled rough spots and holes, stained with a rag, allowed to dry then oiled & hand buffed. Made 38 year old veneer look great

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 16:32   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I bought a 12 year old boat 31 years ago and it's in far better shape than it was in 1985. Everything is out there and for sale,- make a good choice!

Tags
used boat