Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 00:55   #16

Boat: Able 50
Re: Usa to Australia

Unfortunately southace what you have posted so far says you haven't done the math on all this.

AUD is down, USD is up, the taxman will want his 10% ( possibly 15% ) on arrival and you say that your budget is limited. On top of the purchase price you can very easily pump 30k worth of improvements into the boat in order to make it ocean ready.

Right now you would be better off buying in Australia unless your true objective is to sail the Pacific rather than to save money.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 01:00   #17

Boat: Duncanson 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Unfortunately southace what you have posted so far says you haven't done the math on all this.

AUD is down, USD is up, the taxman will want his 10% ( possibly 15% ) on arrival and you say that your budget is limited. On top of the purchase price you can very easily pump 30k worth of improvements into the boat in order to make it ocean ready.

Right now you would be better off buying in Australia unless your true objective is to sail the Pacific rather than to save money.
30k to make a 45 foot hunter ocean ready? From the boats I can see the only thing they are missing is a life raft , HF radio and a sat phone. What else would you suggest?
southace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 01:07   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by southace View Post

30k to make a 45 foot hunter ocean ready? From the boats I can see the only thing they are missing is a life raft , HF radio and a sat phone. What else would you suggest?
And someone quoted on here saying if the boat is made in USA or New Zealand the import tax is waved?
Old 29-01-2014, 01:10   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Re the refrigerant you only need to evacuate the gas if the boat is shipped. If you sail it in no probs.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Simon, sorry, incorrect. Friends sailed in a Kiwi boat, mega-difficult, huge charges. Best to evacuate system first. If legal.

Ann
Old 29-01-2014, 01:18   #20

RIB + outboard = USD 5,000 ( all prices are USD ), first aid gear = $1,000, dock fees while you sort the boat = $3,000, EPIRB = $800, ground tackle = $1,000 +, bottom paint = $700, diesel service = $1,000, refrigerator service = $1,000, navigation chips $1,000, safety gear = $2,000 plus stuff I can't guess without knowing the boat. e.g. It isn't hard to buy 10k worth of sails for a 45 footer. I bought 2 sails in RI a few months ago for USD 12k.

I didn't get all this from a magazine - I bought a 43 footer in San Diego and did the voyage in 2006/7.
Old 29-01-2014, 01:24   #21

Quote:
And someone quoted on here saying if the boat is made in USA or New Zealand the import tax is waved?
It is but you will still be up for 10% GST.
Old 29-01-2014, 01:26   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
RIB + outboard = USD 5,000 ( all prices are USD ), first aid gear = $1,000, dock fees while you sort the boat = $3,000, EPIRB = $800, ground tackle = $1,000 +, bottom paint = $700, diesel service = $1,000, refrigerator service = $1,000, navigation chips $1,000 plus stuff I can't guess without knowing the boat. It isn't hard to buy 10k worth of sails for a 45 footer. I bought 2 sails in RI a few months ago for USD 12k.

I didn't get all this from a magazine - I bought a 43 footer in San Diego and did the voyage in 2006/7.
Sorry mate I think you might be confused I'm looking at second hand 2005 model most have all the above fitted I was thinking more 17k USD for delivery including airfares for 3.
Old 29-01-2014, 02:03   #23

California boat owners have long been hopeless at buying safety gear. Getting any brand of boat with a good safety fitout will be lucky indeed. e.g. A decent ocean standard liferaft costs 5 - 7k, 4 harnesses + tethers = $1,000 and on it goes
Old 29-01-2014, 04:02   #24

Boat: Beneteau 323

Like anything you can spend as much as you have.

I agree it costs money but you only need to pay full price for everything if you are in a rush. The alternative is to cruise the US for a while, get to know your boat and buy stuff in the US at a discount. I met several Australians (including myself) doing exactly that.

For my last haulout in Deltavile, VA we paid nothing in dock charges and we lived on the boat on the hard for three weeks for $175 while working on it. Did more work in Marathon, FL on a mooring for $118/week (monthly is cheaper). They have a full workshop there and a plethora of marine services. Depends on your tolerance for discomfort - I worked on roads and pipelines in the NT before going to the US so my tolerance is probably a bit higher.

That said the currency is working against you. The Aussie dollar is heading south and staying there a while. I think the Aussie was grossly overvalued and the factors that kept it high are changing.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 04:14   #25

Boat: Under construction

I crewed on a American flagged yacht purchased in Mexico and sailed back to Australia in March 2010. I have no idea of the costs involved but can put you onto the bloke who bought it.(Send me a PM) We did not have to evacuate refrigerant or aircon gases, however the situation may have changed. I would strongly recommend a windvane steering system and a watermaker if you can afford it. Be prepared for customs to go through your boat like nothing you have ever seen before. 7 guys and a sniffer dog for 6 and a half hours, fun to watch but don't dare take photos, they get a bit pissy about that.
Chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 04:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Like anything you can spend as much as you have.

I agree it costs money but you only need to pay full price for everything if you are in a rush. The alternative is to cruise the US for a while, get to know your boat and buy stuff in the US at a discount. I met several Australians (including myself) doing exactly that.

For my last haulout in Deltavile, VA we paid nothing in dock charges and we lived on the boat on the hard for three weeks for $175 while working on it. Did more work in Marathon, FL on a mooring for $118/week (monthly is cheaper). They have a full workshop there and a plethora of marine services. Depends on your tolerance for discomfort - I worked on roads and pipelines in the NT before going to the US so my tolerance is probably a bit higher.

That said the currency is working against you. The Aussie dollar is heading south and staying there a while. I think the Aussie was grossly overvalued and the factors that kept it high are changing.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
I don't want shopping in the states! Haha maybe 10 plastic jerry cans with diesel and 20 days food supply .......I'm not planning on sailing into the perfect storm and if I did happen to get into that situation I would run for cover or ride it out. I'm looking at a direct delivery weather permitting .

If need to spend 30k on a yacht like this even before it leave the states I will eat my hat!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006...a#.UujyZXxkmSP
Old 29-01-2014, 04:30   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Usa to Australia

Quote:
I don't want shopping in the states! Haha maybe 10 plastic jerry cans with diesel and 20 days food supply .......I'm not planning on sailing into the perfect storm and if I did happen to get into that situation I would run for cover or ride it out. I'm looking at a direct delivery weather permitting .

If need to spend 30k on a yacht like this even before it leave the states I will eat my hat!

2006 Hunter 45 Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I'd carry double 20 days of food and water..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 04:36   #28

[QUOTE="boatman61;1453225"]

I'd carry double 20 days of food and water.. [/QUOTE

Well I would expect to stop at least once on the 6,500nm passage I wouldn't expect to stock up for the entire journey 50 days of supply's.
Old 29-01-2014, 04:48   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Usa to Australia

So your looking at making the Marquesas in 20 days or less..??
Best of luck with that from mainland USA..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 04:58   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So your looking at making the Marquesas in 20 days or less..??
Best of luck with that from mainland USA..
Yes I would carry what ever food I will need that will last me till the first port of call on my passage. I will not shop for the entire passage to Australia . Are you saying the first only port of call is more that 2880 nm over 20 days sail?

Tags
australia