Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 16:26   #1

Boat: Beneteau 323
US to Australian Registration

Has any Australian reading the forums recently registered a US built and formerly USCG registered boat in Australia lately? The paperwork looks a little tricky and I want to get it right. Any tips on getting the paperwork right would be appreciated.

Here is the situation. We have a boat built in the US (Pacific Seacraft) titled and registered in Minnesota. The boat formerly had USGC registration. The boat is free and clear (phew). The boat is 100% Australian owned. I want to register it in Australia. We plan to take it to Australia.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 21:10   #2

Boat: Ocean 71
Re: US to Australian Registration

Hi Shanedennis,

We are going through the process of Oz registration as we speak.

Our boat was / is registered in Canada (Manufactured in the UK - Ocean 71).

We started with the forms found on the AMSA website : www.amsa.gov.au and duly sent them through & paid the fee of $A 1,190.00. Within a few days we have a "provisional" registration number via post, togther with a new set of forms highlighted with what data we had to provide.

I have to say, that AMSA has been nothing but helpful.. & I mean that sincerely.. the email for those guys is : sro@amsa.gov.au & the guy that is helping us out is Mr Pat O'Brien..

Good luck, but it really is not tough.. some of the forms are a bit "painful" - but hey, a lot easier with a bit of "assistance"..
smuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 21:30   #3
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
AMSA has been nothing but helpful...Good luck, but it really is not tough.. some of the forms are a bit "painful" - but hey, a lot easier with a bit of "assistance"..
We agree with smuggler.

Our import was French built; lying in Itlay and South African registered when we transferred her to the Australan Register. It all went very smoothly. The only notable 'hiccup' was ensuring the South African registration was cancelled; that was slow and involved a bit of effort, but it didn't hold up securing the all-important (for our voyage home) Australian papers.

AMSA were very helpful indeed. Our primary contact there was the then (late 2011) Registrar of Ships, Trish Malone.

FWIW and not really related to the OP, remember too that (as we understand it!) US-built vessels may not be subject to Duty on arrival in OZ. GST yes, but no Duty.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 21:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Here's a link to a detailed report on one American's sale of their boat in Australia.

Selling Your Boat Abroad
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 22:28   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440

So totally agree, this section of AMSA is like a breathe of fresh air in a government department, they will help and guide you.

We just did the same but a French built boat registered to Austrians and all documentation was in German/Austrian. Go no further just follow their collective advice and procedure.

Cheers.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:46   #6

Thanks for the feedback. It is good to know AMSA doesn't throw up roadblocks and they will issue temporary registrations while details are worked out. I want to take the boat out of the US before December.

I am going to start wading through the paperwork. Wish me luck! I will post my experiences in this thread.
Old 07-03-2013, 17:15   #7

Boat: Tayana 52

We did the same while on the boat in the US. The key document is the official release from the USCG, removing the vessel from their register. Once you have that, AMSA processes the application.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:51   #8

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

Another thumbs up for pat obrien at amsa. Our reg in 2012 of french built, netherland antilles registered yacht was quick and painless thanks to his advice. Much easier that our experience 9 years ago with french built, french registered ex sunsail yacht when amsa needed "OFFICIAL" translations of the 20 million bits of paper that we had problems getting from sunsail and dufour as they couldnt understand why our government need all theses things.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 15:39   #9

I have the forms filled out and had a chat to Pat.

The person from the USCGS said to request a deletion from documentation proof I just need to send a one page letter and $15. For those who have been through process, is that really it? Were your requests rejected for any reason?

It feels like I should be sending more paperwork or something. This boat was last registered in 2001 by a PO so there is no current Certificate of Documentation to send back.

Pat O'Brian - very helpful. He said I should email a scan of my application before I send it so he can double check to ensure I have everything in order.
Old 12-03-2013, 21:10   #10

Make sure you send AMSA originals only, Deletion from previous registry, Bill of Sale (AMSA also has one available), Builders Certificate (or use AMSA's one if non-existent).

It is that simple, they will return your cert's once processed, you'll also need to get an MMSI and register an EPIRB i just got them to notate in the documentation that our Australian EPIRB was in the Northern Hemisphere.

If paperwork is missing they then rely on court witnessed documentation from the various blank form's within their website.

All our documentation was in AUSTRIAN not AUSTRALIAN so we had to get court witnessed and processed translation documents..

Yes Pat will get you to email a trial and mark you as to how it will go, this saves so much screw around, once he's giving you 10 out of 10 send it all by priority registered mail.

Best department in the Australian Government, bar none!
Old 19-03-2013, 12:34   #11

Update: I received the "Evidence of Deletion from United States Documentation" with seven days. Thanks USCG NVDC!

To get the document I sent the following to nvdc.pdf.filing[at]uscg.mil in pdf format:
1. A signed cover letter with:
- Last registration year
- USCG Doc. No.
- Hull Number
- Vessel Name
- Vessel Service (Recreational)
2. USCG "Authorization for Credit Card Transactions" for $15.
3. Copy of my Minnesota title.
4. Copy of my passport.
Old 25-03-2013, 05:58   #12

Update:
I complete forms per AMSA instructions, got them notarized then sent them off to Patrick via email.

There is a gotcha you need to be aware of if you live overseas. On the forms you are asked for your residential address in several places. The forms do not say the address needs to be an -Australian- registration address. But AMSA wants an Australian residential address.

I filled out all of the forms again using my mother's address, getting the notarized (again) and sending them off to Australia today. Will keep updating this thread until the process is complete.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:33   #13

Update and question:
We received the Marking Note via email yesterday and along with some minor corrections to the statutory declaration. For build and means of power transmission I did not use examples from the Notes section.

Here is my question. The marking requirement for the Official Number and LOA. 100mm (4 inch) lettering on the main beam (etc). My boat is 10.39m (34.1 ft) with a beam of 3m (10 ft). Can this be made look pretty? Or am I going to need to settle for ugly? Anyone got any pictures of how they marked their Official Number and LOA?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:39   #14

This mark traditionally goes inside your engine room, MAIN BEAM is a traditional reference to a ships main beam, it does not mean the main beam of a catamaran etc.

Inside the engineroom is usually the best place.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:47   #15

Thanks for your fast response. The engine room is better. The wife will be happy.

Did you get an engraving of the Official Number and LOA made and then screw it on? 100mm letters seems excessive, especially on a smaller sailboat.

Tags
Australia, registration