Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:53   #16

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: US to Australian Registration

A country inherits it's marine law and there's areas of difficulty where it is applied to our small boats. Traditionally depending on the hull material you would either carve the name in or weld it on. It's your security against theft, probably the best would be to get an aluminium plate engraved then epoxy bond it onto a bulkhead.

Cheers
Old 02-04-2013, 05:15   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Normally AMSA will accept a suitable size relative to your boat providing you meet the sprit of the regulation. For instance, I had 1 inch letters (numerals) engraved on a SS plate that was then permanently attached to the vessel - this was a 30' mono. It was clearly visible

But they won't be happy with say 2 mm letters .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:22   #18

Boat: Beneteau 323

Thank you very much. I will take some measurements today.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:38   #19
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Back in 2011, we were advised by the Australian Registrar of Ships that they were not concerned about the height of the marking lettering on yachts PROVIDED THAT the marking was very legible and effectively indelible. As for positioning on yachts, they suggested a position of prominence and permanance, ideally (but not necessarily) a structural bulkhead. As you'll see in the photo of our internal markings, they are definitely not 4" and, although they are positioned on the midships bulkhead in the saloon, they are behind cushions so they are effectively out of sight unless required. We gathered from the Registrar that they were really not very concerned about yacht markings so long as they were as close as possible to permanent. Our markings are epoxyed onto the bulkhead and then sprayed with a layer of clear and hard surface sealant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	marking internal.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	58479
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:25   #20

Thank you for the recount of your experiences and the photo, D&D.

I went out to the boat today to look for places to fix the markings. (The marina is still frozen solid and it was -6 to 2 C.) There is no practical place to put the marking in the engine room. There was room in the stern locker and port lazerrette. There is room in the midships bulkhead.

There is plenty of room behind the cushions but I did not consider it until reading D&D s comments when I got home. Our cabin has a lot of brass fittings so we are going to have nice brass plate engraved and fix it to the midship bulkhead. My daughter thinks it would look good.

Update on the process: I also went to visit the Duluth US Coast Guard office to ask them about the requirements for a cruising permit. The first two officers had never heard of a cruising permit. The third had heard of one but had never been asked about one before. "We don't see many foreign flagged vessels around here." He took my phone number and said he would get back to me in day or two. They were professional and I think they appeciated the advance notice.
Old 02-04-2013, 21:38   #21
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
I went out to the boat today to look for places to fix the markings. (The marina is still frozen solid and it was -6 to 2 C.)
Brrrr...better you than us! The Capt here is Wisconsin-born and grew up in the midwest cold...and now VERY happy to only hear about it from a distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
There is no practical place to put the marking in the engine room. There was room in the stern locker and port lazerrette. There is room in the midships bulkhead.

There is plenty of room behind the cushions but I did not consider it until reading D&D s comments when I got home. Our cabin has a lot of brass fittings so we are going to have nice brass plate engraved and fix it to the midship bulkhead. My daughter thinks it would look good.
Frankly, we may be pushing the envelope a bit with the behind-the-cushions positioning. We took a lot of comfort from the Registrar's remarks that they really weren't all that concerned about yachts...with the two key necessary elements being clarity (as in not tiny and unreadable) and permanence. We never put the specific behind-the-cushions position to the Registrar. So your brass plate mounted on the midships bulkhead sounds perfect.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:27   #22

Update: I ordered an engraved brass plate for the marking from The Engraving Connection. They seemed efficient and pleasant to deal with. Cost is $209.50 plus shipping. I have attached my proof to this message.

The numbers will be about 60mm. The requirements do say 100mm "whereever possible", and 60mm is as big as I can fit on the bulkhead.

Old 07-04-2013, 17:51   #23

Update:
I had not heard back from the US Coast Guard office so I did some research online about how to obtain a US Cruising Permit from Duluth. This led me to:
U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Travel
It seems like I need to get a user fee decal from:
www.cpb.gov
And then call 1-888-523-2628 when I am ready to "check in". I am going to keep the boat where it is until I receive the Australian registration papers and then "check in" immediately.
Old 15-04-2013, 03:53   #24

Update: We marked the boat and then had the signed the marking note in the presence of a witnesss and notary.

Sent it to AMSA via DHL last Monday and received a confirmation email from AMSA our registraton had been issued on Sunday night.

In summary, the process is expensive but the AMSA people are helpful and efficient. They do expect everything to be exactly by the book so dot your i's and cross your t's!
Old 15-04-2013, 04:06   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Well done, it's always a nice feeling when it goes well (and by the book )!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, registration