Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2016, 13:55   #1

Boat: '83 Catalina 30
Universal M25 Not Cranking

Recently the exhaust riser on my Universal M25 blew, spewing diesel smoke all over the cabin. As I was transiting into an anchorage at the time, I reduced RPM's, opened the hatches and soldiered on for about 45 minutes until I could safely moor the boat. I have not been able to start the motor since (yes, I replaced the elbow, coolant, etc.)

I can hear the starter engage but the engine is not cranking. Charged batteries, cleaned all connections - still no crank. I was not aware of any overheating during my short transit with the broken exhaust pipe - is there any chance my motor overheated and seized? I am able to turn the crankshaft slightly using the v-belt wheel...

Any constructive guidance on this will be appreciated!
drpaoletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 15:19   #2

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Universal M25 Not Cranking

After the exhaust riser gave way, it is possible that raw cooling water got into one or more of the cylinders, hydrolocking the engine and possibly breaking or bending something. First step is to remove injectors and see if you can turn the engine over by hand. If you can turn it over, you'll need to dry out and clean out the cylinders, see the many threads on recovering a hydrolocked engine. If not, you'll need to discover what is seized, broken or bent.
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 19:22   #3

Boat: Paceship 29
Re: Universal M25 Not Cranking

If it engages, the solenoid is good, but the starter motor may not be. Clean the large electrical connector on the starter, as well as any large wire bolted to the block of the motor (ground).
The starter can be jumped with the key on and a large screw driver across two starter contacts, but you have to research that technique.
It is easy to remove for a bench test, or rebuild.
sony2000 is offline   Reply With Quote