Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-01-2011, 10:50   #31

Location: Northern Oklahoma - No sailable water for 1000 miles
Boat: Don't currently have one :-(
Send a message via Yahoo to set_sail Send a message via Skype™ to set_sail
How can you stop yourself from being overwhelmed thinking about how to do this in a reasonable time frame? I'm getting kinda freaked out at all the money I need, yet how do I make enough money or earn money while cruising? It's a bit much..

Old 18-01-2011, 15:41   #32

Boat: `99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 s/v Witchcraft
Arrow Get boat first ... worry about living aboard later

OK ... I vaguely remember being in college and wanting the world right now. Then Melvin Laird pulled my birthday as # 11 in the draft. Truth be told, ya can't have it all at once. I waited 36 years before I pulled the plug, retired and was able to pay cash for the boat I wanted (& had a sailing kitty that will allow me to sail away).

Why don't you start sailing first. Are you anywhere near Tulsa?? Check out Windycrest Sailing Club on Lake Keystone - http://www.windycrest.com/ It's relatively close (certainly less than a 1,000 miles away) and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Enjoy!

Old 18-01-2011, 15:54   #33
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by set_sail View Post
How can you stop yourself from being overwhelmed thinking about how to do this in a reasonable time frame? I'm getting kinda freaked out at all the money I need, yet how do I make enough money or earn money while cruising? It's a bit much..
Lifes a bitch isn't it....
Either work hard for 30yrs and save then go sailing in a nice boat with a good kitty... or
Go sailing tomorrow and live hard for the rest of your life..... maybe...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 19:32   #34

I plan on going sailing as soon as possible. Not waiting any 30 years. Maybe 3 or 4....
Old 19-01-2011, 00:05   #35

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Have you thought of a rich girlfriend... Seriously, sailing is just like other materials of life. You can live in a tent or an apartment, or a McMansion, or an estate. You can cruise in an outrigger canoe, a coastal weekender, a 65'+ custom Yacht, or a megayacht. The choices are many, I have a friend whose cruising dream is an outrigger sailing canoe he wants to take up to Russia and then the far east, not my dream, but his. You can get by quite reasonably if you have the desire to. Only you can set your own priorities in life.
Old 19-01-2011, 07:26   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lifes a bitch isn't it....
Either work hard for 30yrs and save then go sailing in a nice boat with a good kitty... or
Go sailing tomorrow and live hard for the rest of your life..... maybe...
AGREED!
Old 19-01-2011, 07:29   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
Have you thought of a rich girlfriend... Seriously, sailing is just like other materials of life. You can live in a tent or an apartment, or a McMansion, or an estate. You can cruise in an outrigger canoe, a coastal weekender, a 65'+ custom Yacht, or a megayacht. The choices are many, I have a friend whose cruising dream is an outrigger sailing canoe he wants to take up to Russia and then the far east, not my dream, but his. You can get by quite reasonably if you have the desire to. Only you can set your own priorities in life.
While a rich girlfriend would help, I don't know any rich women, I'm no good at using people to get to that point, and all the filthy rich folk (lol) seem to live up north. Plus, I kind of like the idea of this being a low-key, low-cost, way to travel. As far as sailing goes that is, i know boats are expensive, but I am seeking a simpler, more environmentally friendly travel option as well.
Old 19-01-2011, 09:17   #38

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Maybe an outrigger canoe with a lateen(sp) rig would be right up your alley, you could probably do most of the preliminary construction in your apartment. I built a dinghy in my bedroom one winter. It was ok except for the spiderweb mouth I'd get when the fiberglass was kicking. Where there is a will there is a way.
Old 19-01-2011, 13:00   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

With your budget and experiance I would buy a sailing dinghy or a small (under 20') open boat (and for short term living use a cockpit tent. avoid snow ) and use that to the max for the next year or 2 whilst you learn and save.

The bonus is that will give you the opportunity to learn that will also save money on your "big" boat purchase in a year or 2 (both from messing around in your own boat and from being in the scene far easier to meet / talk to / sail with / learn from other boat owners, not only on the sailing side but on stuff that will help with the later boat buying.
Old 20-01-2011, 04:07   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
With your budget and experiance I would buy a sailing dinghy or a small (under 20') open boat (and for short term living use a cockpit tent. avoid snow ) and use that to the max for the next year or 2 whilst you learn and save.

Perhaps DOJ has in mind something like the gear of a club member shown in the pic below...a cruising lifestyle at the barest possible cost. For more info, see: Angas Inlet: Readying for a night on Peg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Peg.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	22961  
Old 20-01-2011, 06:50   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Perhaps DOJ has in mind something like the gear of a club member shown in the pic below...a cruising lifestyle at the barest possible cost. For more info, see: Angas Inlet: Readying for a night on Peg
For OP I was thinking something with a bit more canvas

But the punt (& Tent) idea would be pretty much ideal for the inland waterways of France / Europe - for the right person. and cheap too

But IMO something with a bit of sail (and a bit more of a pointy front end ) would be nice, even if the tradeoff for that was less "accomadation".
Old 20-01-2011, 07:07   #42
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:

But the punt (& Tent) idea would be pretty much ideal for the inland waterways of France / Europe - for the right person. and cheap too

But IMO something with a bit of sail (and a bit more of a pointy front end ) would be nice, even if the tradeoff for that was less "accomadation".
When I was taking a Catalac to Turkey from Ipswich I stopped at Poole to do some make and mend on gear and sails at the back of Brownsea Island in Poole harbour for 4 days... while I was there a 70yr old guy dropped the hook behind me... he was on an old clinker built sailing dinghy... it was wet and blowy and I was amazed when he started rigging a tent... inside 1/2hr he was snugged down with the warm glow of his parrafin lamp through the canvas in the growing darkness... Had a chat with him the following day... seems he took up sailing in his late 50's and two weeks every year he'd take his dinghy to the coast and set out to do some real life Swallows and Amazons.... nice guy... pretty hardy as well.

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 07:53   #43

Boat: Moccasins and pony
boat

It aint easy but if you put your mind to it and want it bad enough you'll make it happen. I'm a young guy with children and on my third boat now in 7 years. First boat was a West Wight Potter 19, but traded up to Cape Dory 30 after spending more time offshore. After several thousand miles cruising "local" waters, I just traded up to an '88 Crealock 34 which I believe could carry us to "retirement" (25+ years) and perhaps more. We'll see.

Don't skip the progression of boat sizes, get something you can see yourself "camping" in and enjoying. If your cash flow s tight, get a real light trailer sailor and perhaps a transmission cooler for your car and take it easy. You can get something for cheap and park it outside your house and put some sweat equity into it. Lakes are great places to learn to cruise with no tides, fresh water, close to home. I'm over 400 miles from the coast and my boat(s), I know others that travel more, but often because the storage location is also a destination.

There are boat loans out there if your credit is really good. I had to take out a loan but it is worth it and takes the place of a car payment in our budget. If you get a loan, you will need insurance so factor that in. With a loan, insurance, dockage and maintenance, you can easily be pushing $1000/month. With a trailer sailor, you can spend a few thousand bucks then upgrade as time and money allow.

Sailing other boats like someone suggested is good if you cant buy yet. Take the basic Keelboat and Cruising classes, they are good. Take the piloting classes with the power squadron, too. You'll need to do a bunch of local sailing before you head off to Belize but I'm sure there is plenty to get excited about in the Gulf.

Good luck and have fun-

c.s.
Old 20-01-2011, 18:56   #44

Quote:

I didn't realise you were thinking catamaran. What a neat idea; live in one float, sail the other. Or just sail wing n wing.
Old 20-01-2011, 19:10   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
When I was taking a Catalac to Turkey from Ipswich I stopped at Poole to do some make and mend on gear and sails at the back of Brownsea Island in Poole harbour for 4 days... while I was there a 70yr old guy dropped the hook behind me... he was on an old clinker built sailing dinghy... it was wet and blowy and I was amazed when he started rigging a tent... inside 1/2hr he was snugged down with the warm glow of his parrafin lamp through the canvas in the growing darkness... Had a chat with him the following day... seems he took up sailing in his late 50's and two weeks every year he'd take his dinghy to the coast and set out to do some real life Swallows and Amazons.... nice guy... pretty hardy as well.
I once had some YMs from the late 40s onwards and the stories of some of your countrymen in those little clinker sailing dinghies would make mice out of today's cruisers. They'd pack their rudimentary camping gear aboard and make their way across the channel and around the coast to Denmark and further before returning at the end of their annual leave fortnight. They'd come ashore, whatever shore, at dusk and set up camp before taking off again at their leisure.

I know that post-war poverty meant that many cruiser aspirants had no choice other than such vessels, and that they'd probably prefer a fridge and shower if they were options, but the pleasures of going primitive as a cruiser are seemingly lost on most cruisers today. As is, btw, the pleasure and excitement of complete isolation, in the midst as we are of the communications revolution.

So good on the old fella; what a champion.

Tags
sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: