Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2009, 10:06   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Two Island Packet Questions

I have not been able to determine what type of steering these boats have. Cable? Hydraulic? Or?
Second question: do the yankee sheets chafe the staysail when tacking if the staysail is furled? Quess I have a third question; does one sail these boats most often with the staysail as a heavy weather sail only or most often with the yankee? thanks
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 10:10   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
rack and pinion for the steering. the jib does chafe on the staysail when tacking plus it can get stuck and must be manually moved. not sure on the heavy weather question. but they are nice boats IMHO.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 10:25   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
The steering system that IP uses is rack and pinion. Pretty much bullet-proof, but some say it doesn't give as much feedback to the helmsman as the conventional cable and quadrant type. I've never felt this to be a big issue.

There can theoretically be a little chafe when tacking the yankee over the rolled-up staysail. As long as you don't saw the sheets back and forth, it's not a big issue. My sails are seven years old, and the only stitching I've had to do is replacing sun-damaged thread on the sacrificial covers. The only time I need to manually move the yankee over when tacking is in very light winds.

And for your third (bonus) question...

In heavy weather, I like to have some of the yankee rolled out to add a bit more drive than the staysail alone can provide. Typically, when sailing a close reach or reach in 35-45 kts, I'd have a triple reefed main, the whole staysail, and enough jib to just overlap the staysail stay. I have luff pads in the yankee, which make a world of difference in the way the sail sets and draws. I've used this sail plan in steady winds of 40 kts with gusts to 50, and it works like a charm.

The boat sails best at a 15* heel, so I adjust the canvas to give me that. The helm will be very balanced.
Old 30-05-2009, 13:10   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
I have not been able to determine what type of steering these boats have. Cable? Hydraulic? Or?
Second question: do the yankee sheets chafe the staysail when tacking if the staysail is furled? Quess I have a third question; does one sail these boats most often with the staysail as a heavy weather sail only or most often with the yankee? thanks
I second the above comments. The staysail is great in high winds but is also worth a knot or two in normal breezes unless the wind is aft of abeam.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 17:50   #5

Boat: island packet 38 1988
thank you for your tips about sails settings
what about the "rolly" aspect of the IP 38 under engine and at anchorage: I did really have a bad experience with my new acquisition: she was rolling like a washing machine under engine and badly at anchorage: is it a typical problem of IP 38 or is it because she carries a main sail - mast - furling system bringing weights in the "heights" ? thxs berni
volovent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 20:17   #6

Boat: islandpacket
I would think it is caused more by wind and current than the rigging. You may need to offset your angle to wind to current. or find a better anchorage. I dont think it is the boat. imoho How were the others riding?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:16   #7

Thumbs up rolling aboard IP 38

well, of course the worst my IP 38 did roll was waves on the side: like any other boat this is the worst position. But in her case it was like a "dryer" machine. I did sail aboard several other boats I did own in the past (even full centerboarded) , did 2 Atlantic crossing, etc.. etc.. (here's not the point!) I have just been very surprised by my new acquisition that I did buy "where is, as is" with no sea trial: I was just wondering if it was a general problems on IP 38, if the IP were known as rolly boats or just a bad configuration of sea/current like you suggest. I appreciate your kindly tips.
PS: I was between Isla grande and Colon , I will cross the Panama Canal sunday.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:46   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Boats do roll differently in the same conditions. A monohull has a natural roll frequency which is inversely related to its moment of intertia. If the frequency of the exciting waves comes near the natural roll frequency, your boat is going to really roll. You can watch boats in a rolly anchorage, or watch as a single wake moves across a fleet of anchored boats. Some boats are rolling like crazy, while some are not.

As you know, the frequency of wind generated waves also varies--it is a function of how long and how hard the wind has been blowing. Thus, some days, when a short wind chop is generating the waves, it may be your boat which is rolling, while other days, when a long ocean swell is predominant, it may be someone else's.

Generally, a slow roll is more comfortable than a fast one, which is why bigger and heavier boats are more comfortable than small ones. However, roll frequency is related to stability--more stable boats roll faster. If you replace your heavy mast with a lighter carbon fiber model, you get an increase in stability and sail-carrying power, but you also get an increase in roll frequency and a decrease in comfort level. Carrying to one extreme, if you lose the mast, the roll frequency will probably double and the crew will get seasick. Going the other way, if the roller furling mast is heavier than a standard mast, it may actually make the boat more comfortable at anchorage.

The other issue is the amount of roll. Wider and flatter hull shapes (a cat is the exteme) will 'feel' the waves more than a round or narrow hull, but they also have more damping, so the roll stops quickly. My own observation is that round hull shapes seem to be less comfortable, and this is may be the basis of your feeling that the IP 38 is more rolly than other boats you have experienced.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 17:57   #9

Arrow rock'n roll

many thxs Donradd for your complete answer
just one thing: when the boat starts rolling weights in the highs create a phenomena of pendulum >>I would say that main mast furler would AMPLIFY the pendulum!
WELL, I will experience the boat soon in the Pacific of Panama (pearl islands and coiba) as I transit the canal Sunday! then I will let you know if the IP 38 is a reliable boat to sail Polynesia with its strong currents in the reef entrance , and the ...... famous ROLLY anchorages like in Marquesas!.. Bernard
Old 02-10-2009, 18:31   #10

Boat: islandpacket
You may want to check out Welcome to the Island Packet Yacht Owners' Association mail list. A lot of IP owners to help you. I dont have the 38 so dont know. Keep us posted on your passage.
Fair winds
Old 02-10-2009, 19:06   #11

I will keep you posted
about pearl islands & coiba of Panama
and hope ....the transpacific
if any one else have IP 38 feedback ??
I will anyway visit the web site you mention
thxs
bernard

Tags