Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2007, 07:16   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
trintella 29' ???

What's it all about? I recently had the opportunity to look at one of these and am thinking it through. I have had a hard time finding any reviews of these boats. Anyone have anything to say? The one I looked at was rigged with a tabernacle which seemed a little weird. The cabin top had some pretty serious wear and tear but I am unsure if any of it was structural. I also noticed that someone had built a whole new rudder, one that mounted onto the transom and ran the whole length of the stern before terminating at the keel, whereas the few that I found on yachtworld were spade rudders (my nomenclature could be wrong here) that were controlled by a post that ran through the cockpit. Any thoughts on why someone would make this modification other than the original rudder snapping off?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 08:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You’ve noted the difference between the Trintella 1, and the 1a.

E.G. van de Stadt design, hull built by Tyler Molding Co, .

Trintella 1 (1964)
Length: 8.50 m
Width: 2.50 m
Draught: 1.31 m
Engine: Sabb Diesel 10 bhp

Trintella 1a
Length: 8.80 m
Width: 2.50 m
Draught: 1.31 m
Engine: Sabb Diesel 10 bhp

The difference between the 1a and the 1 is the shape of the stern.
The 1a has a rudder through the aftdeck, while the 1 has the rudder attached to the stern.
The 1 and the 1a are probably the most successful ship of Trintella.
The 1a also has a version with a GRP cabin, named Harmony 29. These ships were built and delivered by the Tyler Shipyard (Tyler Moldings Ltd.). At the time Tyler built all GRP hulls for Trintella.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 08:33   #3

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Thanks Gord as always you are a well of knowledge. I would like to hear about anyone's experience sailing on one of these boats. The one review I read said that they were fairly fast boats which I sort of have a hard time believing seeing that it has a D/L of 420.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 20:19   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67
What's it all about? I recently had the opportunity to look at one of these and am thinking it through. I have had a hard time finding any reviews of these boats. Anyone have anything to say? The one I looked at was rigged with a tabernacle which seemed a little weird. The cabin top had some pretty serious wear and tear but I am unsure if any of it was structural. I also noticed that someone had built a whole new rudder, one that mounted onto the transom and ran the whole length of the stern before terminating at the keel, whereas the few that I found on yachtworld were spade rudders (my nomenclature could be wrong here) that were controlled by a post that ran through the cockpit. Any thoughts on why someone would make this modification other than the original rudder snapping off?
Yo 67,

these are great little boats, and good sailors. A friend sailed one to Hawaii and back to Marina del Rey. He kept it for years. A truly excellent craft.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 10:20   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova
Yo 67,

these are great little boats, and good sailors. A friend sailed one to Hawaii and back to Marina del Rey. He kept it for years. A truly excellent craft.

best, andy
Seem to have been fairly popular this side of the world, to my mind they look good and an honest boat and I do recall reading over the years in the Sailing mags that they are pretty much as they look.

Dunno if you have searched this (UK) site for re-prints of reviews.

Buy Boat Reports, Cruising Guides and Product Tests: Boat tests / Used boats: Trintella 29 by Simon Jinks
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote