Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2016, 09:13   #1

Transport Ericson 26 Kansas To New Mexico

I have an agreement on an Ericson 26 (dry weight 5200 lbs) located in Lake Perry Kansas. The boat is up on the hard, on jack stands, and NOT at the marina. I have a truck and trailer that will haul it home, but I am having a very difficult time getting the marina folks interested in assisting to get the boat off the jack stands and on to the trailer. I have talked with a crane company and for about $1,000, they will come down and load it.

With the amount of work involved, I thought I would try and locate a professional transport company that would just do it for me, but have not had much luck as the boat is smaller than most yachts, and the price of the boat does not justify several thousand in transport costs.

Does any one know of a professional (and reputable) transporter that could haul the boat from Lake Perry to Truth or Consequences, NM?
craboutofwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 09:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: transport Ericson 26 Kansas to New Mexico

You have run into a common Catch 22. A boat that will cost more than it's worth to move it to where you want it. 99.9% of the time, unless it's a really special boat or a really special deal it isn't worth it. You're going to do better spending more money on a boat that's where you want it than buying a cheaper boat and moving it.

If the boat is not at a marina then how did it get to where it is and onto jack stands? My first move would be to find whoever put the boat where it is.

There are a very few boat haulers that have a special trailer with built in hydraulic jack stands that can pick up or set down a boat on any flat spot they can back up the trailer.

I had one of these trailers haul my boat from a boat yard to property in the country and it was easy but when I was ready to move the boat back to the boat yard the trucker had retired and sold the trailer to another trucker across the country. I looked for weeks but couldn't find anyone else with a hydraulic trailer so had to hire a crane. Basically those are the only options if you want to pay a professional hauler to do it.

An Ericson 26 isn't that big or heavy so you wouldn't need a really big crane to move it. Have you tried a tree service or other alternate sources for a crane?

The only other possibility is try some kind of DIY.

CAUTION AND DISCLAIMER. Trying this could end up with a wrecked boat and injured workers. Do this at your own risk.

Idea 1. Rent big, heavy duty flatbed trailer and build frame on it like the bunks on a regular small boat trailer and back the trailer under the boat, moving the jack stands as you go.

Idea 2. Build a frame over the boat, strap the boat and lift it up off the jack stands, back a trailer under the boat and set it back down.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 10:48   #3

Thanks for the gret info Skipmac. The trouble is that there are VERY few boats here in NM, or in the vicinity. I am more or less forced to look elsewhere.
craboutofwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 11:07   #4

Boat: Beneteau 393

You might try Mike Spurgeon at Stockton Lake, MO at Home

I suspect it will cost several $K to transport....$4/loaded mile...or more.

For crane, you might try a local sign company. On Mark Twain Lake we use a company out of Moberly that charges about $100/hr. includes travel time in the hr. count. I've used them to step the mast on our B393. Cost about $300.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 14:03   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The problems that Skip outlines above are why most folks in your situation will opt for a proper trailer sailor... a boat designed from the start to be moved about by road.

Jim
Old 15-09-2016, 14:33   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Transport Ericson 26 Kansas To New Mexico

Try Custom Sailboat Trailers
http://www.loadmastertrailerco.com/sailboat-trailers/

Here is an image of an Erickson 26 on one of their trailers.

https://goo.gl/images/g5N0L0

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 21:06   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Spurgeon is who placed that boat on its stands. I believe he has a hydraulic trailer wit a boom for setting the mast. Rooke sails in Tennessee also comes up to Lake Perry on occasion and has a hydraulic trailer with a boom. The problem you might have is the time of they year since many operators also have fall marina work to be done. I wish you good fortune in finding a solution.
anchorbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:58   #8

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I think other posters have said it well. You can save a lot of money by hiring a small crane (5-6000 lbs is a small load). BUT you are risking your boat. Before hiring anybody you had best investigate the insurance situation in depth. Also check out your home owner and/or auto policies they might have some coverage or offer riders you can buy.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 12:20   #9

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I would think you should find a much better deal on a crane. A boat that size should not require a big crane. I am thinking around $60 an hour, 3 or 4 hour minimum. Shop around, always.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 14:40   #10

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

send me an email and lets talk about this, I'm in Florida right now on my boat, (see web site on other stuff I have done) but I do need to go to Manhattan, Ks sometime soon and also to Texas. I've moved a lot of stuff, next week I'm moving a 20 ft container on a boat trailer down here, that I will load with jacks and comealongs. I'm an engineer and can do just about anything. All it often takes is lots of time, lots more hard work and being slow and as safe as possible.
Old 17-09-2016, 14:52   #11

Boat: Cal T2 27', Renken 18, Macgregor Venture Cat 15

you don't need a crane a big front end loader (farmer browns) and nylon straps will do it for a couple hundy and a case of beer, consumed after the loading.
DocRox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ericson, Mexico, mexico