Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2014, 11:29   #1

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'
transom mount transducers

Can anyone tell me if a 6.6ft swing keel will interfere with the operation of a Transom Mount Transducer ? Or even if the Transom Mount Ruder will interfere with the Transducer ? Transducer is mainly for a depth finder, & would i know in time if the front of the boat will run aground ? ALSO is it true there is a Transducer that is glued on the inside of the hull, & if so do they work with a boat that has an 18in draw ? Trying to make the correct choice the first time . THANKS much for any input !
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 01:29   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: transom mount transducers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailersteve View Post
Can anyone tell me if a 6.6ft swing keel will interfere with the operation of a Transom Mount Transducer ? Or even if the Transom Mount Ruder will interfere with the Transducer ? Transducer is mainly for a depth finder, & would i know in time if the front of the boat will run aground ? ALSO is it true there is a Transducer that is glued on the inside of the hull, & if so do they work with a boat that has an 18in draw ? Trying to make the correct choice the first time . THANKS much for any input !
No (well usually no but it just may be possible)

No

Usually but not always

Yes depending on hull material although not technically glued, rather mounted in a box that is filled with oil/water etc. This won't work on a wooden hull or a foam cored hull but is OK with solid GRP.

and finally Yes.

I think the number of answers match the number of questions but feel free to ask again if I missed any.

What sort of boat are we talking about???
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 08:26   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

You can't use a transom mount transducer.

If the hull is cored you can't use a "see-thru" transducer.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 08:39   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I had a transom mount transducer on my last boat, and...

below 5 knots, no problems.

5-7 knots hit or miss.

over 7 knots, blank screen.

So it worked scouting tight spots, but not so well underway. Seastate also mattered; swells, fine, steep chop, not so much.

Eventually it failed and was never temped to replace it. If you really want a sounder, drill a hole.
Old 28-09-2014, 11:17   #5

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

Dose anyone know if an Uniden QT-206 depth finders are any good? I can get one very reasonable used, with a thru-hull transducer . I will get a good sounder some day ,but i kind of would like , radar , auto pilot , AIS ,etc, too all go together . As far as Nav ,i've got an APP for that. A very good Marine Radio needs to come first . THANKS everyone for your comments . ( still trying to be sailersteve ) before winter hits i hope .
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 14:53   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Sailersteve - GRP is Glass Reinforced Plastic also known as Fibreglass (and Fiberglass).

Can't help you with the Uniden question but I guess it is an entry level depth sounder and as such, would be a good starting point as in my opinion, at your apparent stage of boating, this is all you need after that good marine radio.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote