Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-06-2010, 18:04   #16

I look forward to it!

NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 19:32   #17

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Sorry I did not read this post sooner. I have a 28 foot boat on my triple axel trailer in my drive. Brought it over the mountains from inland last March. I am not sure what type of keel you have. Follow Gord Mays advice. If the hull can hold the keel when the boat is in the water, then the keel should be able to hold the boat up when on the trailer.
Put it on the trailer with all the weight on the keel then put plenty of pressure on the pads to hole it upright. Use a huge amount of hitch weight, but I notice the trailer is for a regular hitch so you will probably be limited to about 1000 pounds of hitch weight. If the truck springs are soft you will sink and skewer the back end of the truck. If the tyres and springs are HD you will raise the headlights if you exceed about 1500 pounds. Tie the boat to prevent it from moving forward if you drive into a semi. If you are on flat highways it is a lot easier than going over the mountains. If you have a steep climb you will be in a very low gear. Use the same gear going down. I spent days in second. Use the trailer brakes lots, save the truck. Not sure what size truck you have or how heavy the boat is. It is possible to warp modern disc brakes.
That's few things off the top of my head.
I hauled mine over the mountains, along the valley, over the ocean on a ferry, and finally to my Island on another ferry.
I backed it into my drive, and wrenched out the front connecting piece for the drive shaft.

BC Mike

BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: