Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 20:55   #31

Re: Trailerable, cheap, seaworthy for Newfoundland

Seafarer 22
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 06:18   #32

This is all making me ponder that I'm sitting in a reasonable boat to have transported up there (a Pearson Triton) which I could get a trailer for and is fully equipped for the trip (hard dodger, wind vane, windless etc). But also getting extremely small for living aboard and something I'm looking into selling this spring. And this trip is at least several years away.

And I'd have to have a big truck and an expensive or used trailer to get it up there and back unless I paid someone to move it for me.

But regardless thanks for the suggestions.
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 06:24   #33

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Too wide (9.35') and too heavy (10,000 dry) to trailer.
I doubt $29k is what the OP had in mind for cheap.
Good points albeit somewhat obvious. However, the width can be handled with a permit, the weight can be handled with a 1 ton truck and the price is no more than a Nor'sea 27. This boat could actually be trailered & would be at home among the icebergs.

The point that I was trying to make with this suggestion is that for the area the OP wants to cruise a boat built like a tank with a pilothouse is more suitable than a small, cheap, easily trailered boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 07:24   #34

I guess the other obvious alternative is buying something in Nova Scotia in the early spring and fitting it out for the trip and then selling it in the fall but that would have a lot of risk involved.
Old 13-12-2016, 07:39   #35

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
This is all making me ponder that I'm sitting in a reasonable boat to have transported up there (a Pearson Triton) which I could get a trailer for and is fully equipped for the trip (hard dodger, wind vane, windless etc). But also getting extremely small for living aboard and something I'm looking into selling this spring. And this trip is at least several years away.

And I'd have to have a big truck and an expensive or used trailer to get it up there and back unless I paid someone to move it for me.

But regardless thanks for the suggestions.
It does sound like you already have a good boat for this endeavor. If you watch Craigslist you might be surprised at truck prices if you look for a diesel with high miles. You also might be able to find a used trailer for a good price if you take your time. Consider the cost that you would have buying a small boat with a trailer & you may not be into this for much more & when you're done with the truck, trailer & Triton you could sell them as a package for a premium.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 07:54   #36

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Good points albeit somewhat obvious. However, the width can be handled with a permit, the weight can be handled with a 1 ton truck and the price is no more than a Nor'sea 27. This boat could actually be trailered & would be at home among the icebergs.

The point that I was trying to make with this suggestion is that for the area the OP wants to cruise a boat built like a tank with a pilothouse is more suitable than a small, cheap, easily trailered boat.
One thing to note regarding weight, the Nor'sea factory weight is 8100lbs. Add in gear, and add ons like a wind vane, weight goes up. I'd say mine is just over 9k lbs.and I tow with a Silverado 2500.

If the OP doesn't have a good toe vehicle, I believe Enterprise has trucks that could work. (I hear Uhaul has issues with towing heavy loads)
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 08:30   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
One thing to note regarding weight, the Nor'sea factory weight is 8100lbs. Add in gear, and add ons like a wind vane, weight goes up. I'd say mine is just over 9k lbs.and I tow with a Silverado 2500.

If the OP doesn't have a good toe vehicle, I believe Enterprise has trucks that could work. (I hear Uhaul has issues with towing heavy loads)

I don't think I could rent a truck in the states and then drive it to Canada unless I launched in Nova Scotia and then returned it in Maine or something like that.

Tags
cheap, newfoundland, seaworthy