Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 15:10   #1

Boat: Mako 28
Trailerable

We are looking for the longest we can pull with 1 ton we live in Montana and our season is may thru October so we will have to remove it before water freezes thanks
Cockeye429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:20   #2

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: Trailerable

https://youtu.be/y6qCtkRVVzo
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:28   #3

Ok that was terrible we aren't looking to drag it all over the place just be able to put it in dry storage at the end of season.
Old 18-01-2017, 15:41   #4

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

We have a 31-foot trailerable sailboat. It's homebuilt -- a Jim Michalak design called "Cormorant." We have trailered it all up and down the US east coast and taken it to the Bahamas. Trailerable is awesome!

There are plenty of commercially built trailer sailers. You'll have to poke around to find your optimal combination of length, weight, draft, accommodations, and ease of set-up / launch. (That's why I wound up building my own.)

And you won't become one of those YouTube fail videos if you use a bit of common sense. Like good heavy ratchet straps, which none of those boats seemed to have!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 18:34   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Keep in mind the launches available. Depth is crucial. I use a 1 ton with about a 10' extension. I have to bury my back tires to launch ours(4 1/2' draft)
Once launched, the fin keel is worth it, but I am limited on where I can take it.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 02:49   #6

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I notice Cockeye429 currently has a Mako 28, so maybe you're looking for a power cruiser, not sail?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 04:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockeye429 View Post
Ok that was terrible we aren't looking to drag it all over the place just be able to put it in dry storage at the end of season.
You question has too many variables. How far are you trailering? Is the dry storage at the marina or close by or are you having to take the boat on public roads? If you are going out on public roads your main driver will probably be beam. You can "trailer" some really big boats with the right wide load permits but you probably aren't going to be able to launch them easily. If it is just in and out the beginning and end of a season then you can have a cradle on a trailer but the marina will need a hoist/crane.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 04:57   #8

We live in Montana and close to the largest man made lake in the US fort peck but there's not really what most people would call a marina we have nice deep launches but we won't have mechanical boat launchers to put it on a cradle. We would have to bring home at end of season about 60 miles of 2 lane roads. I've been looking at Catalina 27 and c&c mkII 25 but I would like to find something around 32 to 35 with a draft 4 foot or less. And we are wanting monosail not a motorcruiser.
Old 19-01-2017, 05:16   #9

Instead of length, you need to start with weight. What is the maximum towing capacity of your truck? Take off at least 300-400 lbs. for the weight of the trailer and other gear you load into the boat (500 lbs would probably be a safer figure). That will tell you the heaviest boat you can look for.

A gross generalization is that a heavier boat will usually be a longer boat. Many, many exceptions to that, though (which is what makes it a gross generalization!).

Be cognizant of the depth of the keel, as others have mentioned. A "deep launch ramp" is a very subjective thing. Launching a 30 ft. power boat from a drive-on trailer is a whole different thing than launching a J-24 from a float-off trailer. With the former, 3-4 ft. of depth is "deep." With the latter, 4 ft. of depth is not enough.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 05:47   #10

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I'm not sure of a 32-35ft boat with a narrow enough beam to tow down the road.

But, a Nor'sea 27 is trailerable, but most people launch with a travel lift. It's possible to ramp launch/retrieve if the ramp is long/deep enough. The dry-weight of the boat is 8100lbs and just goes up from there when you add gear, provisions, trailer, etc. It's draft is listed at around 4' and built strong to go anywhere.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 05:50   #11

Dodge shows I have tow rating of 18,500 lbs 1 ton Cummin we drag our 28 mako with twin 250's and it doesn't feel like u have any thing behind us and my truck is also airbag for xtra weight.
Old 19-01-2017, 06:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockeye429 View Post
We live in Montana and close to the largest man made lake in the US fort peck but there's not really what most people would call a marina we have nice deep launches but we won't have mechanical boat launchers to put it on a cradle. We would have to bring home at end of season about 60 miles of 2 lane roads. I've been looking at Catalina 27 and c&c mkII 25 but I would like to find something around 32 to 35 with a draft 4 foot or less. And we are wanting monosail not a motorcruiser.
That helps a lot. Not sure how much you want to spend but the Seaward 32RK would fit your criteria. There was also another thread on here not long ago that had some great ideas for bigger trailerable boats. Beneteau has a 30'
2011 Beneteau First 30 and Trailer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 08:29   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Take a look at the Corsair 27,28, and 31. There are also some other large folding trimarans thatwould work like Telstar and Dragonfly.

Ramp launchable big monohulls are difficult because you also need a lifting keel. That is becoming more common in modern boats but was rare the older you go. There are some good suggestions above, but to add to the list the Seascape 27 comes to mind.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 08:56   #14

I think the Seaward 32 is your answer. Not cheap though.
It's going to be all about draft in your situation. You can pull a lot of boat with your 1 ton and the right trailer. You cant launch anything with much draft at all though. Find something with a centerboard. The next problem is beam to get above 28 ft or so. You can however tow wider with a permit each time you tow. If towing only twice a year to launch and retrieve a permit might work out ok. Gonna be tough to find a 30-25 ft boat that's only 9 ft wide....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 12:20   #15

Thanks for the suggestions