Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-06-2017, 12:01   #61

Re: Trailer Sailor & Pocket Cruiser Boats, Tips, Advice, Examples

This FC8 doesn't look bad:

Old 22-06-2017, 16:49   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Sailors!

"Tiny Boats? We have all we need to have fun sailing!"

Show Your Trailer Sailor or Pocket Cruiser Sailing!

Now that the summer sailing season has started in North America, I think it is time for this thread to show some Trailer Sailor or Pocket Cruiser boats in the act of sailing!

Please post a photo of YOUR boat sailing, or of your favorite Trailer Sailor or Pocket Cruiser Boat model sailing.

Whether it is your own Pride and Joy, or your Dream Boat, let's show the CF members what makes the Trailer Sailor or Pocket Cruiser Boats so popular and fun.

Perhaps you have a photo of your Trailer Sailor or Pocket Cruiser Boat going to windward on a blustery day with spray causing a rainbow over the cockpit. Or a photo showing your kids playing on a trailer sailor you bought or built. Or a photo showing your boat's customized interior or special features or details. Or you and your partner having a nice meal in the cockpit or saloon. Or a photo showing some of the crew having fun on the boat. Small boats can be a lot of fun. Show us.

Let's put in some more photos to illustrate the Trailer Sailor and Pocket Cruiser world here in this thread.

IF you don't have a photo of your own boat sailing, then do a Google image search and find a sistership. Or post a photo of another Trailer Sailor or Pocket Cruiser you admire.

And, if you have been doing some cruising on your Trailer Sailor or Pocket Cruiser, take a photo from your blog or own site and share it here, with some comments about what you liked about your boat on your cruise. Tell others about YOUR boat or experience sailing on your boat. Post a link to your blog if you have one.

Share your love of Trailer Sailor or Pocket Cruisers.

Let's see some sails! Let's see some boats!

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 17:16   #63
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Flicka 20

Steady's Notes:

This is a nice looking Flicka 20. I like everything I see about it.
Looking at these photos, it really gives the impression of a much larger boat.
I like the canvas shown on her too.
The interior looks like it is in very good condition.

I sure hope to go sailing on one of these Flickas some day!

Sale Ad Listing (FSBO)

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/photographs/58113

Year = 1983
Location = Washington (state)
Asking Price = $25,000

My Disclaimers and Requests:

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area. Or, if you own a similar or sister boat send me a PM. I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Good luck on your own boat hunt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flicka 20 1983 dark hull cruising.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	150457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flicka 20 1983 dark hull shade.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	150458  

Name:	Flicka 20 1983 dark hull hard.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	150459  
Old 22-06-2017, 18:01   #64

Size is fine, but the 2.5 tons weight asks for a truck.
Old 22-06-2017, 18:34   #65

Boat: Chrysler 26, swing keel

I LOVE that this thread is still going and active!

(especially here on CF where most boats seem to be... well... BIG! LOL!)

Thank you Steady Hand for starting this thread.

I posted here a while back regarding the Chrysler 26... This boat looked like it had some great potential for upgrades to make it a more "serious" cruiser.

Tresa and I are leaving on July 8th (Trailering Dayenu up to (arguably), one of the greatest cruising grounds in the world (The San Juan Islands), in two days! ) We'll be sailing/motoring up there for a month and will include visits to Canadian spots.

One of my greatest concerns was anchoring. Not only gear, but how to attach, reinforce and make handling the heavier gear easily and without extra electrical draw. For our Christmas gifts to each other, we saved money to go up to Portland to shop through the used chandlerys. We found a Lewmar Anchorman for $300 and went from there.

We switched out the anchor that came with the boat for a 25# Mantus (Bought new on the same "Christmas trip"), 60' of 5/16" G-4 chain, Crosby shackle and new 150' of Nylon plait.

Our model Chrysler came with an anchor locker but it extended forward into the bow and just didn't provide what I was after.

To make this work, I fabricated a HD aluminum (Teak backed), roller and turned custom Delrin rollers on my lathe. I cut the original anchor locker hatch and fiber glassed (WEST), the forward portion backed with marine ply and filled with high density West adhesive filler. I think the photos will share the rest. ALL new fittings and windlass are backed with 3/4" ply and SS fasteners...

One special surprise which fits one of your original questions about raising a heavier mast... As I was pulling my guts out on the old tackle when we were raising the mast last weekend, I put my foot on the windlass to gain leverage and then it struck me!!! Use the windlass!!! The mast went up so easily and FAST!

I share this in the spirit of showing that a trailerable boat can also be modified to be a bit more seaworthy cruiser.

A LOT more modifications and upgrades have taken place since I last posted here: A completely new 120V system with double pole circuit breaker), a Pro-Mariner dual bank charger, 200 watts of solar, three water tanks with deck fills (Total of 35 gallons)... Also: I was going to make the "standard" Teak dinghy outboard mount on the stern rail and then re-thought that one as well... Instead, I installed a retractable kicker style O/B mount on the transom. When up, the tip of this motor is out of the water, when down, it's deep enough to use it (6HP Evinrude), to be our back up propulsion in an emergency should our 9.9 Electric start Mercury fail! Also, it can easily be lowered into the water to reach the transom of our dinghy!

Can you tell how excited we are?

I'll keep eagerly following this post!

Richard & Tresa
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fore Deck, Before.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	150468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modifying original locker hatch.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	150469  

Name:	Backing with WEST and Plywood.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	150470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Foredeck.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	150471  

Name:	New Roller with 25# Mantus.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	150472  
Jarel Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 18:45   #66
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

JAREL DESIGN,

Thanks for the kind words, the continued interest, AND for adding more interesting comments and content to this discussion.

I sense you are excitied about your upcoming cruising.

Good! That is as it should be.

Feel free to post some photos of your voyage in this thread, as you get going, so others can see your boat out on the water and you having fun with her (the boat I mean).

Bon Voyage!
Old 28-02-2018, 10:25   #67

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarel Design View Post
I LOVE that this thread is still going and active!

(especially here on CF where most boats seem to be... well... BIG! LOL!)

Thank you Steady Hand for starting this thread.

I posted here a while back regarding the Chrysler 26... This boat looked like it had some great potential for upgrades to make it a more "serious" cruiser.

Tresa and I are leaving on July 8th (Trailering Dayenu up to (arguably), one of the greatest cruising grounds in the world (The San Juan Islands), in two days! ) We'll be sailing/motoring up there for a month and will include visits to Canadian spots.

One of my greatest concerns was anchoring. Not only gear, but how to attach, reinforce and make handling the heavier gear easily and without extra electrical draw. For our Christmas gifts to each other, we saved money to go up to Portland to shop through the used chandlerys. We found a Lewmar Anchorman for $300 and went from there.

We switched out the anchor that came with the boat for a 25# Mantus (Bought new on the same "Christmas trip"), 60' of 5/16" G-4 chain, Crosby shackle and new 150' of Nylon plait.

Our model Chrysler came with an anchor locker but it extended forward into the bow and just didn't provide what I was after.

To make this work, I fabricated a HD aluminum (Teak backed), roller and turned custom Delrin rollers on my lathe. I cut the original anchor locker hatch and fiber glassed (WEST), the forward portion backed with marine ply and filled with high density West adhesive filler. I think the photos will share the rest. ALL new fittings and windlass are backed with 3/4" ply and SS fasteners...

One special surprise which fits one of your original questions about raising a heavier mast... As I was pulling my guts out on the old tackle when we were raising the mast last weekend, I put my foot on the windlass to gain leverage and then it struck me!!! Use the windlass!!! The mast went up so easily and FAST!

I share this in the spirit of showing that a trailerable boat can also be modified to be a bit more seaworthy cruiser.

A LOT more modifications and upgrades have taken place since I last posted here: A completely new 120V system with double pole circuit breaker), a Pro-Mariner dual bank charger, 200 watts of solar, three water tanks with deck fills (Total of 35 gallons)... Also: I was going to make the "standard" Teak dinghy outboard mount on the stern rail and then re-thought that one as well... Instead, I installed a retractable kicker style O/B mount on the transom. When up, the tip of this motor is out of the water, when down, it's deep enough to use it (6HP Evinrude), to be our back up propulsion in an emergency should our 9.9 Electric start Mercury fail! Also, it can easily be lowered into the water to reach the transom of our dinghy!

Can you tell how excited we are?

I'll keep eagerly following this post!

Richard & Tresa
What a beautiful new anchor locker, nice work! Post a few photos of the whole boat please! I hope you have a great time in the upcoming voyage and nothing is as rewarding as using your own project in my opinion. I got the same anchor you did, cant wait to use her on our boat.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:51   #68

Boat: Cape Dory 14 1968; O'Day Daysailor 1969; Balboa 26 1972 #7; O'Day 30 1979 #100; O'Day 39 1982 #17.

Will you be including classic British cruising yachts such as Rivals, Bowmans and Nicholsons?
LO
lhogdenwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 13:28   #69

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhogdenwa View Post
Will you be including classic British cruising yachts such as Rivals, Bowmans and Nicholsons?
LO
Are any of them trailerable? I would say that under 30’ LoD is pocket sized for cruising.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:45   #70
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nor’Sea 27

This design by Lyle Hess is one that appeals to people who like traditional styled boats that are small enough to trailer, but also designed for cruising on the oceans. Boats of this design have traveled far and safely. It is a highly regarded “pocket cruiser.”

Most of the ones I have seen on the market are much more expensive than this one. This one looks like it needs some TLC. That said, this could be a good boat for a person who is willing to make some improvements. The location is Kansas, but this boat is on a trailer and so can be moved on its own trailer.

The ad does mention some cosmetic issues (paint peeling) and the photos show a boat that does appear to need TLC.

Asking Price = $15,000

Location = Kansas (but this is a boat on a trailer)

Full Keel
Length 27'
Beam 8"
Draft 3.83'
Displacement 8,100 lbs
Ballast 3100 lbs
Ballast type-lead

LINK to ad: Nor-Sea 27, 1978, Hutchinson, Kansas, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas, yacht for sale

All photos in this post are from THIS ad for THIS boat.

My Disclaimers and Requests

As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area. Or, if you own a similar or sister boat send me a PM. I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DA6981F4-0B9B-4679-8A10-EC152A598EC5.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	172885   Click image for larger version

Name:	4B9F9147-AB8E-4AFA-961C-DBD04201A0B7.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	172886  

Old 27-07-2018, 16:48   #71
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Why no multihulls?Corsair tris are pretty easy to trailer and there are others. Cabin space is more limitied, but they are also MUCH faster, with double digit speeds quite practical. With center or dagger boards they are quite weatherly, and with extended beams of 18-22 feet, a little small craft advisory just makes them come alive.

Old 28-07-2018, 09:01   #72

Since all trailer-sailors must have trailers, I have a bit of information that might be needed. I am going completely thru the brakes on my trailer. The whole system was a ball of rust. Since I have an extendable tongue, I needed to replace the hydraulic brake line disconnecter. Non of the trailer places I called or found on the internet even knew what I was talking about. A local farmer recommended a place in Santa Rosa Ca. and they knew exactly what I needed, but said that they were hard to locate. They ended up ordering 6 of them from some small company that still made the proper size for our little trailers (3/16) . The best part is that with a credit card and a shipping address I will have it in 3 or 4 days. Google CHUCKS WHEEL AND BRAKE in Santa Rosa Ca. I found them easy to deal with over the phone. Just my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:42   #73
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Why no multihulls?Corsair tris are pretty easy to trailer and there are others. Cabin space is more limitied, but they are also MUCH faster, with double digit speeds quite practical. With center or dagger boards they are quite weatherly, and with extended beams of 18-22 feet, a little small craft advisory just makes them come alive.

Thanks for adding the boat photos and mentioning that type of trailer sailor boat.

I would like to get some time sailing on an F24 or F27 or other similar boat. I have a vivid memory of being passed by an F27 on San Francisco Bay, and while the monohull I was on was a race boat sailing at hull speed, the F27 just blew past us as if we were standing still. It left a very strong, favorable impression. I could see the other crew having a blast!

Old 15-10-2018, 14:03   #74
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Albin Vega

LOA = 27'
Draft = 4.5'
Beam = 8'
Year = 1974
Location = Hawaii

Asking Price = $20,000 OBO FSBO

Steady's Notes:

This particular Vega 27 appears to have been recently updated with desirable cruising gear. It was used to sail single-handed from San Francisco to the South Pacific in 2016.

I like what I see in the equipment list.
I like what I see in the photos.
I like the yellow hull (my favorite hull color for small voyaging boats).

Unfortunately there are no photos showing the interior.

Is an Albin Vega trailerable?

I am not sure. But I am going to post it here to get some response from others who may know for sure. I assume it is only trailerable on a special trailer for short distance moves or storage.

I am including this boat here because it is a popular "Pocket Cruiser" and this thread is about those boats too.

Yellow-Feather - Albin Vega 27 (1974) $20 000 OBO Summary : Sailed single-handed out of San Francisco in October 2015 to Mexico and the South Pacific (2016). Then up to Christmas Island and Hawaii. Sailed around Hawaii to Moloka'i, O'ahu, Kauai and Ni'ihau. Awesome Vega opportunity. Perfect pocket cruiser for a solo traveller or couple. In great condition, ready to cruise around Hawaii or around the world! (Can deliver in Hawaii and West Coast USA/Mexico) --Hull 2018- Hauled out in Kauai for bottom pain, topside paint, deck paint, and kiwi-grip 2018- Lexan windows and tinting 2015- Hauled out in Berkeley, CA for bottom paint, topside paint and through-hull (Galley sink) --Rigging and sails 2015 Excellent condition UK sailmakers Cruising main (3 reef points) and 125%Genoa 2015 Spinnaker and pole and rigging 2016 heavy duty storm sail 2015 New 316 standing rigging 2015 Solent stay 2015 Selden gooseneck (Older backup genoa, and main) 2015 New England Ropes running rigging 2015 SS lifelines --Steering 2015 Rudder shoe bushing 2015 Cap Horn windvane 2016 Raymarine tiller pilot 2000 (barely used) 2016 Spare tiller --Electrical 2015 wiring (VHF and Electrical) 2015 heavy duty Li-ion batteries (160Amph) 2015 2X Renology 50W solar panels (=100W) 2015 back up Li-ion 9Amph with charger and 100W inverter 2015 1000W Xantrex inverter 2015 Aquasignal tricolour LED masthead and anchor lights 2015 LED cabin lights --Electronics 2015 Standard-Horizon AIS 2014 Backup handheld VHF 2015 Optional iridium satellite, optional Lenovo PC with loaded worldwide charts 2015 anemometer and barometer
Located in Hawaii, Hawaii.

--Hull
2018- Hauled out in Kauai for bottom pain, topside paint, deck paint, and kiwi-grip
2018- Lexan windows and tinting
2015- Hauled out in Berkeley, CA for bottom paint, topside paint and through-hull (Galley sink)

--Rigging and sails
2015 Excellent condition UK sailmakers Cruising main (3 reef points) and 125%Genoa
2015 Spinnaker and pole and rigging
2016 heavy duty storm sail
2015 New 316 standing rigging
2015 Solent stay
2015 Selden gooseneck
(Older backup genoa, and main)
2015 New England Ropes running rigging
2015 SS lifelines

--Steering
2015 Rudder shoe bushing
2015 Cap Horn windvane
2016 Raymarine tiller pilot 2000 (barely used)
2016 Spare tiller

--Electrical
2015 wiring (VHF and Electrical)
2015 heavy duty Li-ion batteries (160Amph)
2015 2X Renology 50W solar panels (=100W)
2015 back up Li-ion 9Amph with charger and 100W inverter
2015 1000W Xantrex inverter
2015 Aquasignal tricolour LED masthead and anchor lights
2015 LED cabin lights

--Electronics
2015 Standard-Horizon AIS
2014 Backup handheld VHF
2015 Optional iridium satellite, optional Lenovo PC with loaded worldwide charts
2015 anemometer and barometer

Link to ad:
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/photographs/75703

My Disclaimers and Requests

IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area.
IF you have a sister boat, I encourage you to post some comments about it in this thread.
IF you own a similar or sister boat, I would enjoy sailing on it with you, because I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Albin Vega 27 1974 Yellow Profile Water.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	179001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Albin Vega 27 1974 Yellow deck.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	179002  

Old 15-10-2018, 18:02   #75

Definitely "transportable by trailer", yes strong trailer, good 2500-class truck if going cross mountains, no permits required. But not easy to self-launch off a ramp with a 4' draft.

Great instance. You see them much cheaper, but for blue water upfitting will cost many thousands plus your time not sailing.

Have heard AV not quite as strong for blue water as some imagine necessary, but same class as say Columbia, that was comparing to the likes of S&S / Yankee.

Anyone know how Bristol 27 fits in there, wrt build quality, strong hull-deck, rudder protection?

john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard, cruise, cruiser, pocket cruiser, sail, trailer sailer, Trailer sailor