Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2007, 16:44   #1

Boat: Ranger 33
Tradewind 40 IOR Racer/Cruiser

Hi all,
I was after some background information on a Tradewind 40 IOR Racer/Cruiser by designer Chad Turner.

I was wondering if anyone knows the design and had any general impressions of the boat. Google was not a great help this time I'm afraid.

If anyone knows the boat "Rawhide" and would like provider any background information about her that would be great too.

Cheers
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 02:48   #2

Not good

lol..looks like it's not a popular design???
Old 01-01-2008, 07:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I guess a question or two might spark comment.

What are your plans for a boat? Are you planning on racing? Or are you looking for a cruiser?

That boat has nice lines but the price and the "needs TLC" comment set off huge alarm bells for me. Also the photo of the engine reveals about the worst recent engine spray paint job I have seen. Note that the oil filter has overspray on it meaning that the paint job is new and poorly done, or the filter is really, really old and the paint job was still poorly done.

Also, you are in Brisbane and the boat is in California. How is that going to work for you?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:35   #4

Hi Dan,
A bit of both, cruising and racing.Yeh, I know the bells rang for me too but it still floats and the photos don't look too bad.

Not 100% ready to buy yet but I will be in about February/March.

lol..I thought that was dust on the engine but it's a poor spray job. Thanks for picking that up..

I have about 6 boats in mind on the west coast and I'll be sailing the beasty back to Brisbane at about July/August.....an adventure hey...lol

cheers
Old 02-01-2008, 07:55   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
NOthing on that particuilar boat but having sailed on IOR boats I can make the comment that they are great boats when fully crewed but are rather wet and uncomfortable when used as cruising boats. Also they were designed to race on and the use of ballast in the form of people on the rail is important to the boats stability.

Good Luck with your search.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:31   #6

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Alarm Bells as Well

Hardly any fuel or water capacity 20 g's. light displacement could be balsa cored, is it wet? Best bet with boat to find local sailors who know the boat and they will. Dana Point is a fairly small community.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 23:16   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
Hi Dan,

I have about 6 boats in mind on the west coast and I'll be sailing the beasty back to Brisbane at about July/August.....an adventure hey...lol

cheers
Sounds like a great adventure. Have you considered any Asian boats? its a lot shorter sail home.

An Australian guy just bought an ex-racer off one of our moorings for the same purpose as you. She had been sitting for a while.

His plan was to refit in Thailand where he could get a lot of work done cheaply. Apparently it's working out for him. The boat was sailed to Langkawi and then transported to Phuket.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 23:31   #8

Inshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
NOthing on that particuilar boat but having sailed on IOR boats I can make the comment that they are great boats when fully crewed but are rather wet and uncomfortable when used as cruising boats. Also they were designed to race on and the use of ballast in the form of people on the rail is important to the boats stability.

Good Luck with your search.
Thanks Charlie for that information.....getting it across the Pacific looks like it will be a wet adventure. I'm lucky as I have a few mates that want to crew up so getting ballast shouldn't be too much trouble when I get home. Getting it across the pacific shorthanded might be interesting but quick. At 14700lbs displacement was reasonable I thought.

Cheers
Old 02-01-2008, 23:38   #9

Thanks Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
Hardly any fuel or water capacity 20 g's. light displacement could be balsa cored, is it wet? Best bet with boat to find local sailors who know the boat and they will. Dana Point is a fairly small community.

Jack
Thanks Jack...yeh thats what I was hoping to find (a local) in this forum or someone that might know the design but ,as you say Dana Point is small ,we'll see what happens I guess.

Cheers
Old 02-01-2008, 23:42   #10

Haven't looked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Sounds like a great adventure. Have you considered any Asian boats? its a lot shorter sail home.

An Australian guy just bought an ex-racer off one of our moorings for the same purpose as you. She had been sitting for a while.

His plan was to refit in Thailand where he could get a lot of work done cheaply. Apparently it's working out for him. The boat was sailed to Langkawi and then transported to Phuket.
To be honest I haven't looked. But I'll check out some brokers and have a look.

thanks for that
Old 23-03-2008, 21:03   #11

Hi, I am in the process of buying one right now.It is all restored and very fast. There is a lot of history on these Boats. Check with Bill Forsythe at Heritage Yacht Sales 949-466-2206. He knows all about These Boat. Regards, John
John Bissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 17:02   #12

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I bought an 40' IOR racing boat a little over 2 years ago (despite the bulk of the advice being heavily against the idea). Since then I have been slowly converting it for cruising, in between racing in local beercan races and regattas and cruising the local coastal bays and Islands. Mine is an early 1980s design "1-tonner" and suffers from most of the disadvantages that come with using a boat designed for fully crewed racing for short handed cruising (big rig, big heavy sails, runners & checkstays, small tankage for both fuel & water, no refrigeration, no hot water system to name but a few). Nevertheless, the boat is strongly built, handles rough conditions well, is fast and powerful in good breeze and isn't a slow pig in light winds.

There has been, continures to be and will be lots and lots of work in the conversion from racer to live aboard cruiser, and to be 100% honest I cannot say that I wouldn't have been better off to have bought a more "cruising-ready" boat. However to do that I would have needed to borrow money, whereas my racer was paid for with my own cash, so is 100% brought and paid for, and I can spend money on refitting as/when it is available and I don't have to pay the bank and service interest on a significant loan...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 18:00   #13

Hey Weyalan, any new photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I bought an 40' IOR racing boat a little over 2 years ago (despite the bulk of the advice being heavily against the idea). Since then I have been slowly converting it for cruising, in between racing in local beercan races and regattas and cruising the local coastal bays and Islands. Mine is an early 1980s design "1-tonner" and suffers from most of the disadvantages that come with using a boat designed for fully crewed racing for short handed cruising (big rig, big heavy sails, runners & checkstays, small tankage for both fuel & water, no refrigeration, no hot water system to name but a few). Nevertheless, the boat is strongly built, handles rough conditions well, is fast and powerful in good breeze and isn't a slow pig in light winds.

There has been, continures to be and will be lots and lots of work in the conversion from racer to live aboard cruiser, and to be 100% honest I cannot say that I wouldn't have been better off to have bought a more "cruising-ready" boat. However to do that I would have needed to borrow money, whereas my racer was paid for with my own cash, so is 100% brought and paid for, and I can spend money on refitting as/when it is available and I don't have to pay the bank and service interest on a significant loan...
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 18:36   #14

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Taken last saturday evening at the Port Esperance Sailing Club Regatta
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 02:54   #15

She looks great Weyalan. Any thoughts to adding canvas, like a dodger?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Racer Cruiser