Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-12-2013, 14:35   #31

Re: Touching Base from Puerto Rico (USVI)

Some years ago we bought a coast guard seized boat in PR. It needed serious work that we could not have completed without the help of cruisers and locals from the Fajhardo area. Navy electricians rebuilt the starter, local carpenter rebuilt the bowsprit, the list goes on and on ! It looks like your boat is in Marina Del Ray or Isletta ? Talk to local boaties, you'll soon see who to trust and confirm wether to continue the rebuild or walk away.
If you come across Pompe on Bandit, please tell him I'm here !

Old 30-12-2013, 17:43   #32

Hello guys. Been doing a lot of research and checking other stuff out. So, old pirate, the boat is actually in Villa Marina in Fajardo. W have Marina Puerto Chico, where "FURA" is headquartered(marine division of the police) and Sealover's Marina next to that one. I should clarify that the boat is not mine yet. We haven't done anything but work out a deal on the $1,500 price. He is only holding the boat until the end of January for me and after that is first come first serve. I honestly don't think he'll sell it though. Anyway, my wife was looking through the classifieds here and found a 1971 Coronado 35MS for $4k obo. The boat is beautiful!!!! It's floating, has all the sails and extras, but has no engine. I will be going to look at it on January 12th. The boat needs new bottom paint too. There are only two here in the island, and it's a center console. Now, there's also a 60 something Tartan 27' here at the yard that, unfortunately, had fallen sideways. Some 80 something year old guy is the owner. So these two boats popped up. Both of them are excellent cruisers, from what I've been able to research, and would suit my needs. One would need more work than the other and it's smaller, but both are from reputable builders unlike the "ghost" I've posted before. So here I go again with the questioning!!!! Sorry to go through this again but I'm trying to look at all the possibilities and be safe too. They're all old boats, but good ones too. So any pointers on what I should look for in these specific models? Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 30-12-2013, 18:02   #33
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Touching Base from Puerto Rico (USVI)

Check the steering gear on the Coronado..
If its anything like the Spanish ones its an alloy.. looked at one a few years back and it was covered with the green fuzz you get round neglected battery terminals.. she was afloat in Alicante and I'm assuming the anodes had died a coupla years back.. its under the aft monster size berth that'll sleep 4..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 18:18   #34

Thanks boatman61, any thoughts on the Tartan? I'm reading a lot of good stuff on them...
Old 30-12-2013, 18:37   #35
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Touching Base from Puerto Rico (USVI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo787 View Post
Thanks boatman61, any thoughts on the Tartan? I'm reading a lot of good stuff on them...
I'll leave that to the 'Cousins'...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 19:58   #36

A little bit of searching will bring out more options for you to consider. Weigh them up carefully. All boats "absorb" money, some more than others.
When I was a younger pirate there was a CT54 (steel) that I would dream about. Magnificent looking boat from the marina wall ! Some years later the Harbour master sold her for $650, to cover unpaid dockage. A gift I thought. When they slipped her the keel fell off.
If your wife likes sailing, you will probaly upgrade to bigger and better boats ! So buy one that YOU will be able to put into better/great/saleable shape so when the time comes you will sell it easily
I don't know the options you listed, but google the models to give you an idea of the value state side. Beware of fallen boats, structural damage ?
Old 30-12-2013, 20:51   #37

Thanks for the reply old pirate. The tartan was built really strong and can't see any damage was done since it kind of like rolled when it fell, but you never know with that, so I'm having a person look at it tomorrow to see if it's still in "saving" condition!!! Maybe I can get it free? Who knows. But the Coronado is a really nice boat too. While the resale value on the Tartan is at around $7,500 the resale value on the Coronado exceeds the $14k mark from what I've seen so far. The owners of the Coronado didn't want to sell but since they have another boat, and the lady's car blew the engine they need the $. I have pics of the interior and outside of the Coronado and it looks awesome, very well taken care of. Me and my wife had agreed that if we got a boat it was to keep it and not get rid of it so I have to find something that'll not be outgrown too quick. My wife has never been on a sailboat. Her father used to build the "spider" boats out of Fajardo, P.R. and she's been around her father's "spider 35" so she knows her share of speed boats. We decided that sailing was going be our best bet because the fuel costs now a days are crazy for a boat that's 35' with two tricked out bbc 454's and we just want to relax. So tomorrow comes and the Tartan 27' will get inspected by someone who knows how to do so and will let me know the damage. Will be letting you guys know about that tomorrow!!!!!!!! HAPPY NEWYEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
Puerto Rico

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: