Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2011, 20:35   #1

Top Picks for Liveaboards and Bluewater - What Are the Best for Both ?

Hi,

Looking to get a good combo boat for liveaboard and (sometimes) single hand circumnavigation..thinking 37-48' (thinking I may be living/traveling for 10 yrs on this boat) not rich...not poor..putting together a spec / logistics list

any info is welcome...from liveaboardians and/or magellans..

-can you write off your interest on boat mortgage if its your house?

-your pick(s) for most sturdy/seaworthy/aesthetic/easy to sail/ergonimic/comfortable/minimum maint/best ways to buy etc

- any of you coastal cruisers seen monohulls outfitted with wave runners for coastal/surf exploration?

- anyone out there have a cruising and/or liveaboard check list in word you can email me?

estimated liveaboard cost in so cal 600 ish?
estimated cost per month to cruise in some style 1500?

If you anchor between san diego and santa barabara - Dinner and/or drinks to best answers (if you make the winners list, but are on the ocean we'll hold your spot untill you anchor

Thanks in advance,

John
jpinsc*at*gmail*dot*com
jackwantstosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 15:39   #2

Boat: Moody 34
Interest on boat loan paid is a yearly tax deduction either as home or as 'investment' (second home) as long as it has a functioning toilet. Check your states accountant, I am a lawyer but can only speak for Pennsylvania
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 15:53   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Top Picks for Liveaboards . . . and Bluewater . . . what Are the Best for Both ?

i am inmazatlan, used to be in san diego--i love my formosa. many badmouth em. there is one for sale in long beach for 30k.
living aboard in so cal for 600 dollars-- lol..sorry but you will need a mooring or anchor out for that low. is more now than ever. i am cruising on that amount(600 dollars), without scrimping unless i buy a birthday present for self and airconditioner also in same month.
i eat out every day for lil money, and find it comfortable. the boat is awesome.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 16:10   #4

Re: Top Picks for Liveaboards . . . and Bluewater . . . what Are the Best for Both ?

my guess is Jack hasn't sailed much...
"good combo boat" what are you combining??? you can liveaboard a 20 footer which is easy to single hand or a 50 footer, not so easy.

"sometimes single hand" if that means you and when company arrives then reality is "mostly single hand"

"not rich - not poor" yes there are those who can afford a $600,000 boat and not consider themselves rich..

37 to 48 foot with a wave runner onboard??? your gonna need a bigger boat...
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 16:24   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

omg didnt see that waverunner comment--is a huge stinkpot ye want....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 17:17   #6

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Why would you want a waverunner? Get a kayak....
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 17:19   #7
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Not sure about the feasibility of carrying a waverunner on a mono in that size range. We do surf rescue at work, and we use Yamaha and Honda skis. You really want the Honda (if you don't have one already). The light ones are 850-1000 lbs (the FX-15 is 950#). That's a lot of weight to have swinging around on davits , or sitting on deck. Compare that to the average 12' RIB which is less than 200 lbs and the outboard stays on the rail.

Then you'd have the problem of trying to rinse out the motor on the hook. The Hondas use a marinized version of the Civic motor, but it's really salt sensitive, not to mention what sand does to the impeller. It really needs to be flushed after each use. That's a lot of water if you use it with any regularity. Probably going to need a watermaker.

Not that you couldn't figure out how to make it work, but it seems a decent RIB would be a much easier way to do your "exploration."

JRM

-- what's the target price range?
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 18:19   #8

pirate Re: Top Picks for Liveaboards . . . and Bluewater . . . what Are the Best for Both ?

I want to thank everyone that has taken the time to give me some info to my post...the learning curve is much faster due to your input.
Thank you very much

Jet ski was a bad idea (deleting) ..was hoping to be able to explore nooks/crannies of harbors ..but decidedly a different vibe than i hope to be in under sail. Plus, they are not ocean worthy and the weight is way prohibitive to have on the boat.

SUP and/or kayak will have to suffice.

Still trying to figure out the best length/sail configuration for open ocean single hand, and balancing the most ergonomic/comfortable cabin for liveaboard...

Budget appears to be 100-200K...thinking of 36-42'

I truly do appreciate/welcome your input

John

jpinsc@gmail.com
jackwantstosail is offline   Reply With Quote