Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2014, 09:19   #61

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Tools for Ocean Voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
The mechanical mind can replace a lot of tools:
A woman with a mechanical mind? Where have you been all my life Julie?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 10:47   #62

Boat: Carver 3607 Aft Cabin MY

Hi,

I see some posts that specify cordless power tools. I never went cordless, and have a nice complement of corded power tools.

Aside from the obvious advantage of being operable in a power outage, are there other considerations that make cordless power tools essential for the seafaring fixer?

Should I include my corded power tools in the yard sale, and buy cordless, or keep the corded tools for my yet to be purchased boat?
poshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 11:06   #63

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshman View Post
Hi,

I see some posts that specify cordless power tools. I never went cordless, and have a nice complement of corded power tools.

Aside from the obvious advantage of being operable in a power outage, are there other considerations that make cordless power tools essential for the seafaring fixer?

Should I include my corded power tools in the yard sale, and buy cordless, or keep the corded tools for my yet to be purchased boat?
on a boat, cordless is the only way to go. If you're at sea trying to run extension cords up the deck with water running down them is a no-no

Also easier even when on the hard.

I sold all my corded tools and bought new cordless - haven't regretted it for a minute.

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 30-12-2014, 11:51   #64

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshman View Post
Hi,

Do you have a generator?
If not, how do you power the tools when out at sea? Inverter? An inverter will be fine only for smaller tools. Cordless is the way to go. However you then have to follow a routine of charging the tools on proper schedule.
Old 30-12-2014, 12:07   #65

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: tools for ocean voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
One item I plan to take that hasn't been mentioned is a bolt cutter for cutting away rigging if necessary or for removing unwanted locks or cables that might accidentally get put on my dinghy.

More suggestions are still welcome. (I too am wondering about the greased stainless nails.)
I prefer a cordless angle grinder/cutter for the job. Fast cutting on deck, just wrapping a few plastic grocery bags to make it weather proof. Angle grinder has many use on the boat.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 00:12   #66

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you buy cordless - make sure that you get a 12V charger so you don't have to run the inverter to charge - Dewalt makes these, so do others

Old 31-12-2014, 02:09   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

In this sort of situation you cannot possibly consider every eventuality. Take a small set of spanners (typically double ended, 10mm - 17mm), a multi-head screwdriver (with different bits in the handle), a pair of pliers, an adjustable wrench, a junior hacksaw with a spare blade taped to the frame, a head lamp, a strap filter wrench and a roll of insulating tape. If there is space left, a small socket set. Excluding the sockets, these shall all fit into a toiletry sized bag and not compromise too much on weight if flying. Obviously, this would be checked in luggage, not carry on. I also always carry a small multimeter, the size of a packet of cigarettes, but that means knowing how to use it. It also fits in the same ex-toiletry bag. I take this with me when going to help on other peoples boats and it is enough to resolve the majority of probems.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 09:26   #68

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Yup.... 13mm... fits most stuff .... and the one most commonly missing from your tool box..... and speaking of toolboxes... make sure you carry a 'chinese toolbox'.... ie a 'shifter'
What is a chinese toolbox?
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 10:40   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have to agree. Many of my tools are Gedore and I spray them liberally with WD40. I have had the occassional tool rust up but generally they are clean and rust free. I do keep one 'cheap' set to hand, also WD40 sprayed and rag wrapped for those moments when you have to lend tools out etc. I have some very heavy duty canvas tool bags and the tool lay inside grouped within rags - all heavy with WD-40. My power tools all live in DeWalt IP-65 rated tool chests and stay totally clean. We do lay the whole lot out in the sun from time to time. Perhaps we are more selfish as we are reluctant to lend quality tools out - I would rather undertake the task myself. That is why we keep one tool bag available for lending. All our tools live in a full height shelved locker. I hate to think what they all weigh......
It is interesting to see what we all think is essential and how many differences there are, likely based on our own experiences.
Meanwhile, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.............
Old 31-12-2014, 10:42   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chinese tool box - an adjustable wrench, shifting spanner whatever you prefer to call it. It also serves as a hammer, lever, etc etc.