Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-12-2014, 12:07   #31

Boat: Trident Challenger- 35 feet
Re: Tools for Ocean Voyage

...need to be tried out before leaving as it often takes a special type for your boat...

Not just stuffing-boxes; life's so much easier if you've owned the boat for a few years before heading out into the big-blue. During that time, you fix everything yourself, using your own on-board tools. If you can't do the job, you don't pay someone to do it, get (pay if necessary) someone to show/help/supervise whilst you do it yourself; if you haven't got a tool that you need for the job, buy it and leave it on the boat, if you're replacing something that's broken, buy at least two, then you have a spare one for next time and leave it on the boat.

Of course you may not be able to afford the space/weight, in which case just buy/stow six-tins of WD40 and a dozen rolls of duct-tape

Old 18-12-2014, 13:40   #32

Boat: 1978 Rafiki 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
...need to be tried out before leaving as it often takes a special type for your boat...

Not just stuffing-boxes; life's so much easier if you've owned the boat for a few years before heading out into the big-blue. During that time, you fix everything yourself, using your own on-board tools. If you can't do the job, you don't pay someone to do it, get (pay if necessary) someone to show/help/supervise whilst you do it yourself; if you haven't got a tool that you need for the job, buy it and leave it on the boat, if you're replacing something that's broken, buy at least two, then you have a spare one for next time and leave it on the boat.

Of course you may not be able to afford the space/weight, in which case just buy/stow six-tins of WD40 and a dozen rolls of duct-tape
Sound advice.

Old 18-12-2014, 15:37   #33

Boat: Liberty 458

I have tools, spares, materiel and consumables to fix nearly everything on the boat. This includes engine, transmission, generator, electrics, comms, electronics, plumbing, woodwork, aluminum, stainless and titanium, dinghy, outboard, sails, standing and running rigging and fibreglass.

There is not much I can't fix. I have 3 trades and 3 engineering degrees so would be embarassing if I couldn't fix stuff.

In your case there is no point taking tools and equipment you don't know how to use.

Once 3D printing is feasible with metal matrix composites I can get rid of the Tig welder. The only thing I don't have on board is a lathe and mill. I would if I could fit them and power them. I do have a small custom vacuum autoclave on board that I can vacuum bag composites. I also use it for glass bead blasting and inert gas welding of titanium.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-12-2014, 15:41   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Make sure you take spares for anything that is a real Bi** to get to, because if you have a spare, it will never have to be used, only stuff that is made from unobtanium breaks.
Old 18-12-2014, 17:01   #35

Flashlights lots of flashlights. If and when you find yourself looking for something in a dark place grab a flashlight with a belt holster, screw the holster to anything convenient put the Flashlight in the holster. It makes life much easier. But six of them I'll bet you find a place for every one.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-12-2014, 17:25   #36
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Probably the most useful tool is a full set of Service and Installation Manuals complete with Parts book and supplier's contacts so you can trouble shoot and identity the one needed part that you don't have
Old 18-12-2014, 17:42   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

the real trick is to have a boat that all you need is a ball of string and knife to fix!
and possibly a sailmakers needle and palm.................
Old 18-12-2014, 17:54   #38

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

According to Murphy's Law, the tool or part you'll need the most is the one you left behind...

This said, every time I use a tool or change a part, I stow it or its twin in the anchor room locker. Granted, Neeltje has a pretty roomy anchor room, but you'd be surprised at how little space stuff takes if it's properly organized and centrally located.

Jacques
Old 18-12-2014, 18:16   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I think his and hers headlamps are extremely useful.. I like hands-free.
Old 18-12-2014, 18:23   #40

Re: tools for ocean voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Gasp View Post
How about a sail needle, palm leather, threads and some sail cloth???
Your question is a legitimate one. A friend was a Jaguar mechanic and needed only a one half inch spanner. He actually had two, and a screwdriver. He did all the work for people in their own garages. Wasn't cheap. Didn't need the money.

You would do well to concentrate on the sailing needs, (needle, palm, wax and thread) except for the diesel engine. Few tools, more charts.

The action would be to take all repairs ashore.
Old 18-12-2014, 18:33   #41

Boat: Intrepid 9 meter, 29.5 feet

Here's a couple things that haven't been mention: Caulking gun, caulking, West System's Six-10 with spare nozzles, packing nut wrenches (substantial ones that fit), spare shackles to replace those that choose to run down-hill.
Old 18-12-2014, 23:46   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Thanks for the very useful suggestions. I have all the things that have been mentioned in my garage, but obviously I can't haul all that stuff with me. I have a Beneteau 50 that will be 8 years old when we leave.

)
I hate to say this - but I carry every single item mentioned so far and I have others (sigh)
Old 21-12-2014, 18:47   #43

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38

methodically go through your boat, what fitting do you have? you want tools that will correspond with those types of fittings. power tools are good. but a manual backup is good to have, like a hand cranked drill for example. C-clamps are another highly useful item to have. likewise for vice grips. hacksaws also are handy for cutting tougher material. I would also buy a headlamp or 2, trying to work one handed while you hold a flashlight is a real pain.

you also need to think emergency/worse case scenario.
-I have wooden bungs on board, one for each place I have a hull penetration plus 3 extras. also a mallet to pound them in

-2 part epoxy putty, the stuff you can mix with your hands like clay, it's great stuff as it will set and harden when wet.

-plenty of rags, believe me they're useful for more than just wiping up spills

-fire extinguishers, you want more than one. I have one in the galley (A,B,C type) and another ABC type back by the engine compartment, also back by the engine I have a CO2 extinguisher.
Old 22-12-2014, 01:55   #44

Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat

As expected, this thread mutated from the tool question to a general list of lists of what to take.
I would say that there are a few 'meta-questions' to consider.
one is - are we talking of an extended cruise, during which we need to be self sufficient all the tme, or during which we visit occasionally ports where support is available. Are these ports served by good post/fedex service or any part required will take six month to arrive? what kind of support is available?
The corollary is - are we considering only a single ocean crossing and at the end of the crossing we shall come to a good service point?

In my opinion the considerations above, will have bearing on the extent of spares and tools to be taken.
At one edge of the spectrum we would take a copy of the entire vessel (well, maybe not a spare hull and mast), at the other end, we shall take only what needed to bring us safely to the next port of call.

On a personal side (following the suggestion of preparing for the worst): in 2003 I have crossed the Atlantic as a skipper of one of the ARC yachts. I had a crew on board who seriously suggested that we should take enough fuel on board, that in case of a problem, we would be able to motor back to safety from any point on the way. That came to over 800l of diesel on a boat that had a 150l tank.
Old 22-12-2014, 03:17   #45

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1944 View Post
A friend was a Jaguar mechanic and needed only a one half inch spanner. ...
Yup.... 13mm... fits most stuff .... and the one most commonly missing from your tool box..... and speaking of toolboxes... make sure you carry a 'chinese toolbox'.... ie a 'shifter'

El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: