Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-09-2010, 19:09   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post

Actually, you might want to keep both your current chute and the new asym. The symmetrical chute will be better deep downwind.
Having the "right" sail for every occasion is ideal. Have enough crew to change sails frequently enough so that the right sail is flying at the right time is also ideal.

OP is space and crew limited. At this point my choice is to balance "perfect" sail against ease of handling without compromising safety. Safety is handled by the ability to get a storm jib up and I believe he said the main has 3 reefs.

Ease of handling comes with getting rid of the pole and symmetrical chute.

I like MarkJ philosophy - it's not a race. You may not be able to go as deep as you want with the asym but I know my boat goes better (VMG) at 170 or 190. You also don't have to spend as much time and care worrying about accidental gybes as the wind shifts another ease of handling thing for a short crew.

The whisker pole is not for "brisk air." It's for crap air when you are bobbing along at 1 1/2 knots and bored and you think farting around with the whisker pole to stick the genny out will get you that next 1/2 knot - LOL. It's a boredom reliever...

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 19:26   #32

My comment on the symmetrical chute was in response to Hannah on 'Rita T', not the OP. Hannah says she is crew limited but I don't know whether she is space limited on her Whitby 42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Having the "right" sail for every occasion is ideal. Have enough crew to change sails frequently enough so that the right sail is flying at the right time is also ideal.

OP is space and crew limited. At this point my choice is to balance "perfect" sail against ease of handling without compromising safety. Safety is handled by the ability to get a storm jib up and I believe he said the main has 3 reefs.

Ease of handling comes with getting rid of the pole and symmetrical chute.

I like MarkJ philosophy - it's not a race. You may not be able to go as deep as you want with the asym but I know my boat goes better (VMG) at 170 or 190. You also don't have to spend as much time and care worrying about accidental gybes as the wind shifts another ease of handling thing for a short crew.

The whisker pole is not for "brisk air." It's for crap air when you are bobbing along at 1 1/2 knots and bored and you think farting around with the whisker pole to stick the genny out will get you that next 1/2 knot - LOL. It's a boredom reliever...

Old 01-09-2010, 19:47   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't notice the hijack - my bad...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 22:11   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsboat View Post
Have you folded your sails really neatly?Looks like there might be a lot of air in the bags.
When I take the time to flake my sails that I won't be using for a while they take up much less room on the boat.

Phil

I actualy was thingking about folding and vacum bagging those I dont need or use.
also if I revert to tiller and ditch the wheel mecanism thers plenty of room for all sails and more.
Old 01-09-2010, 22:39   #35

I wouldn't vacuum bag them - "Brick" them

Do a neat flake and then fold up tightly from the clew. Tie tightly with sail ties before putting them in the bag

You'll find they go down to much less volume.
Old 02-09-2010, 23:19   #36

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Being able to move downwind in light air without having to use the motor, and without the rig banging around, is a very good thing. Without big sails that are rigged well for light air, you'll have to use your engine more -- or spent frustrating hours becalmed.
Old 03-09-2010, 00:16   #37

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
I know I can't handle the chute, the pole is too heavy for me. Passages are always just the two of us unless our daughter drops in from whatever Third World country she calls home at the moment. We have a goodly number of ocean miles under our belt with just 135 genny. I expect to build our asym from a Sailrite kit, but didn't know if I could take a shortcut with the spinnaker.
Have you considered stowing the pole on the mast? Or do you think that ?would be to much weight and windage aloft?
Old 03-09-2010, 00:33   #38

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
I second Ex-Calif's comment about balancing performance, ease of handling and safety, something other than a spinaker would be best single handed down wind.

If the OP is $-limited he might consider getting a nylon drifter rather than a code-zero and keep the spinnaker or whisker pole. There would be a slight penalty in downwind speed, but there would be storage benefits because the drifter can go upwind in light to moderate winds, so a smaller genoa or a lapper could be put on the headstay.
Up wind
0-12 Drifter
12-20 Lapper or lapper + staysail
20 - ? Lapper
?+ - Staysail/storm jib

Downwind
Drifter & Poled out lapper

The main should have a 3rd reef in it for when it gets really bad.

The inner forestay is a good idea.
Old 03-09-2010, 00:46   #39

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
You can learn to sail with more sails better than you can now. I wouldn't make that decision just yet. Get some time on the water in various condition. She seems to be a good solid boat and the extra sails had a purpose to someone. Store them ashore for a bit and see how you do. If you can make the money work the roller furler is a good choice to make. Making changes as weather gets worse is always the problem. But light winds are also more common. Both case need sail changes as they go from one to the other. Have all four checked out and brought into good condition. Even if you sell them you'll get more money.
good advice! good luck with it and take your time...

BTW - with a sock for the spinnaker, it sure makes life a lot more agreeable in iight air even single-handing IMHO. Remember you'll statistically be becalmed 10 times as often as you'll find yourself in gales.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: