Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 17:57   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
you may be in luck.

Not everything but............

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...8-a-35317.html
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 02:41   #17

i've been checking out the Cape Dory 25 and the Albin Vega 27. I really like both. the Cape Dory has a classic look, very clean lines. The Albin Vega looks more comfortable, taller headroom, almost pilothouse-like.

anyone have opinions on these two?
Old 27-01-2010, 03:31   #18

Don't let anyone tell you not to do it. Take some navigation and sailing classes, sail with other folks and then have at it.

Here are 700 that fit your requirements.

(Sail) Boats For Sale

Pearson 33 for $11k
Cal 34
C&C 33
Ranger 33
Morgan 33
Bristol 32
Erickson 32
Pearson 31

The list is quite endless. Pick a few that are in your area, go see them and sea trial those you like. You'll be buying a 70's/80's boat that most likely was lightly sailed. A comparable new boat like these will cost $200k. Figure $2-4 k in annual maintanance but if you are handy much of this can be done yourself.

Have fun.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 07:46   #19

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmartin View Post
i've been checking out the Cape Dory 25 and the Albin Vega 27. I really like both. the Cape Dory has a classic look, very clean lines. The Albin Vega looks more comfortable, taller headroom, almost pilothouse-like.

anyone have opinions on these two?
Both of these boats have headroom of around 5'10" or 5'11" in the main cabin. But the headroom under the dining table and settees will be less.
The Cape Dory 25D is the one you want. It is a true pocket cruiser as opposed to the earlier CD 25.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 08:02   #20

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmartin View Post

Anybody like the Cal 2-27 ?
The 2-27 is a very stout boat, A person I know has sailed one in a number of the "Single Handed Transpac" events..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 09:05   #21

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
FWIW, I think the Catalina 30 would be a pretty good fit for you. They're everywhere, they're inexpensive, and they have 6ft+ headroom. Not a performance sailboat, not a boat to take through the capes, but a pretty damn good budget cruiser for a big guy.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 15:45   #22

Good luck dude, sounds like you're well on the way.

I was in what sounds like a similar situation to you. Got the idea of setting sail into the wild blue yonder early last year. Posted a thread similar to the one you just did about mid way last year and i've spent the last month cruising out in moreton bay, last time i was at a marina was a xmas eve. So zero to cruising in a bit over 6 months from starting the boat search and getting the boat took maybe 3-4 months or so. I moved in during september i think. Maybe late august.

And i gotta say, it has been the best thing i've ever done. Cruising is just awesome, so i'm voting for go small or medium or big, but go now. It's certainly possible, though my situation is a bit different as i'm learning to sail in Moreton bay, which is a sheltered, popular sailing grounds so it's a pretty ideal place to learn. IMO if i was going to be doing an offshore trip i'd at least get an offshore sailing course done. Though with your background it sounds like you've got a good set of skills (ie maintenance,repairs etc) stuff which i'm still working on. Managed to do a few modificiations with family assistance myself but a big part of my learning curve before i'm ready to go offshore will be repair work, especially engine maintenance etc.

Going from what I've been adjusting too (ie shore-life to cruising, singlehanded etc). Get used to things breaking down and needed replacement etc. The amount of replacement parts, repair work and lost parts has gone from basically zip being tied up at a dock to quite a list(ie battery bank needs replacing, anchor windlass fuses, anchor light has stopped working, lost a few things overboard ^^, fuel costs (genset, outboard, main engine), running aground and the subsequent haulout needed to repaint the keel. -.-, this is all in the last month now that i'm actually sailing and being exposed to weather, needing to run more systems etc. So keep some dosh spare for when you actually start cruising, there will be repairs along the way. Something i should have done, but i'm still working while i cruise so it's no big deal. If you're not going to work while you cruise or are relying on finding a job once you get there I would really recommend keeping aside a fair chunk of your budget for just that sort of thing, thats besides the refit costs.

Besides that, it's been well... pretty cruisy^^. Not having easy access to a convience store makes provisioning rather important (tis a bother to run out of tobacco when you're half a days sail from the nearest store).

Have fun out there!
troymclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 17:15   #23
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Check out the Morgan OI 33 while your browsing. 6'3+ headroom below , 3'11" draft,intracoastal friendly mast height. Protected rudder and prop, plenty around, I paid 6k for mine.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 21:04   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day JMartin,

Friends of ours circumnavigated in a Cal 2-27 without significant boat problems... but they were very experienced sailors and cruisers even when they left. Having said that, not many folks would choose that design for that vpyage... it was what they owned, so off they went

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Broken Bay, NSW Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 21:45   #25

Boat: Bristol 34
Check out the list of boats at Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom -* Good Old Boats List - choosing a* small voyaging sailboat . The site is also a great resource for info on your chosen style of cruising (i.e. solo, simple and on a reasonable budget).

Your budget is adequate for an older but well made under 30' boat (better than a newer, lesser made boat). For example a mid 70's Bristol 29 or 30 is going for well under $10k, which gives you leeway to do some upgrades and preps.

There are some deals out there and these days cash is talking - so don't be afraid to make offers 30-40% lower than the asking price. A friend just bought a well maintained and equipped 1980s Almand 30 for well under your budget and 60% of the asking price. He too is 6'3" and chose the Almand for it's wide beem and headroom (not my cup-o-tea but a perfect boat for him). Good luck and let us know how your search goes.....
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 11:30   #26

Boat: 1978 Newport 30 Mk II
Take a look at this on ebay I had a Watkins 27, it sailed pretty good for me, has 6'3" head room. That particular boat is in Florida. and will need a new motor. So if you picked up boat for a grand, paid maybe five more for a motor and a couple more on tankage, I think you might have what you need. I saw one of these Watkins 27's at a mooring in Bequia.
Just an idea. Good luck!
wildebeest3 is offline   Reply With Quote