Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 08:23   #1

Boat: Looking to buy
Toe in the water

Hi All,
First, let me thank those of you who replied to my last inquiry. You gave me a lot of good advice, and, most importantly, made my wife and me feel welcomed into your community, and looking forward to meeting some of you, while sailing the California coast.
Here's my question: We are ready to spend $45k to $90k on a live aboard cruiser, and we want the option of sailing in open seas, up and down the eastern pacific, and the San Francisco Bay. I have read some scary things about the shortcuts manufacturers take to get something cheap on the market, and I don't want to end up with a poorly designed sailboat that will end up being too fragile to do what I want to do (like the 1980 Hunter 28). I am looking at a 1980 Hunter 36 (Cherubini-designed). I love the floor plan of the Catalina 380.
Do you have any advice for me?
Thank you very much,
Knees in the Breeze
KneesintheBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 08:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Toe in the water

Had the Cherubini 37c... nice boat and she sailed well.. took me from NC to the UK with no problems except dirty fuel clogging the lines and filters.. I'd suggest you drain and clean the tank well if possible or have a long fuel polishing session.
Another suggestion.. tho' some may disagree.. is to peel back the lining by the bulkhead and tape off and fill the gaps between hull and ply twixt the tabbings with Sikaflex..
Also strengthen the locker at the bow end of the V-berth.. its only held on by 4 screws...

Cannot comment on the Catalina..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 09:53   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Toe in the water

if you really can spend up $90k I feel you can do a lot better than a 1980 boat!
Old 15-01-2014, 11:26   #4

Boat: Hanse 348
If you aren't crossing an ocean, but just coastal cruising, I also think 90k should get you a 30 - 43 foot 5 to 15 years old. Benetuau, catalina, etc.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 12:43   #5
cruiser

Go onto yachtworld.com and expand your search sigificantly.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 13:47   #6

Boat: Looking to buy

Thanks everyone who replied. The Hunter in question is on Craig's list for 25k (it's a 1981, oops). The owner says the hull is 3/4" FRP... Is that good (I come from the aviation world, so I admit to being a greenhorn)? However, I really like a 1980 Catalina 380 that's on CL too; they're asking 95k for it. I can go to 90 for the right boat, but of course I'd like to pay less. Kenomac, I'll try yachtworld.com. Any more thoughts? Again, thank you!
KneesintheBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 14:03   #7

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneesintheBreez View Post
Thanks everyone who replied. The Hunter in question is on Craig's list for 25k (it's a 1981, oops). The owner says the hull is 3/4" FRP... Is that good (I come from the aviation world, so I admit to being a greenhorn)? However, I really like a 1980 Catalina 380 that's on CL too; they're asking 95k for it. I can go to 90 for the right boat, but of course I'd like to pay less. Kenomac, I'll try yachtworld.com. Any more thoughts? Again, thank you!
The Catalina is a good boat. They're asking 95? Offer them 85 and see what they say.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 14:04   #8

Boat: Hanse 348

a 1980 catalina 38 should not be going for 95k!

You need to look at yachtworld.

Get a surveryor before you purchase.

Also, everything listed on yachtworld is via a broker. They are helpful depending upon who you get. They don't cost you anything directly. Might be worthwhile using one.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 14:31   #9

Boat: Watkins 29'

Another vote to immerse yourself in yachtworld. Go to the advanced search and do your own research, you will come across lots of boats that you didn't even know existed, and keep in mind the listed price is only the asking price. After spending some time in yachtworld you will get a better feel for what fits your budget and life style.
Old 16-01-2014, 15:45   #10

Boat: Tayana 37

I'll third (or fourth) yachtworld. For open ocean passage making, neither of those boats would be anywhere near the top of my list. Put in the lower and upper size limits you want and put in a price up to about 120k. You can always offer less than they're asking. Then, GO LOOK AT THEM. That, more than anything, will tell you what you do and don't want.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 17:07   #11

Boat: Vancouver 27

This is a great breakdown to maybe help define what "offshore" will mean to you: Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

There is also a nice list of boats at the bottom.

In addition to yachtworld, you might also poke around Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale

Good luck!

Ryan
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 17:14   #12

Boat: Figment 40

Good luck and welcome to the forum. I am in a similar situation, i.e. looking seriously for a live aboard cruiser. I've been at this for at least 6 months and settled on a few compromises. My point, take your time, your on the steep part of the learning curve and shortly you will know a lot more. There is a Valiant 40 for sale in your area, near the top of your price range, but a very popular live aboard cruiser, something to look at. If you have 90 to spend buy something for no more than 70 and reserve 20 for the missing things you and your wife decide you "must have". Also, stay away from a project boat unless you don't plan to get underway for a couple years. better to get something clean and well maintained with very little or no extras. Sellers always think "gee, i paid $x for that it must be worth at least $y but a prudent buyer knows the extras are worth only a very small fraction of original price, the more extras the more possibility for a gap in valuation.
eddiestubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 18:07   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

You might want to look at this one. There is a whole blog about it so its recent history is well known.

http://bumfuzzle.com/BoatForSale/
Old 16-01-2014, 19:41   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Kneesinthebreeze:

Take someone knowledgeable with you and your good lady when you go looking, if at all possible.

Jim and I sailed a Yankee 30 up and down the California coast from SF Bay to the Channel Islands a couple of times before we sailed her to Hawaii. Jim had actually reinforced it according to S&S instructions prior to ocean racing it. I just think you might really benefit from having someone who's knowledgeable about many different types of boats to give you input.

Ann
Old 17-01-2014, 11:32   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Kneesinthebreez,

Here is part of what Boatman 61 wrote: "Another suggestion.. tho' some may disagree.. is to peel back the lining by the bulkhead and tape off and fill the gaps between hull and ply twixt the tabbings with Sikaflex..

Also strengthen the locker at the bow end of the V-berth.. its only held on by 4 screws... "

That was the voice of knowledge speaking.

I don't know the specs for the Hunter layup. 3/4" for the whole boat, though, I do not believe. I think the owner may be taking advantage of your innocence. Yachts do not have safety standards to be met in construction like airplanes. Many boats are designed for gentle daysails, and marina parties more than the ocean between SF and Pt. Conception, which is a not too friendly coast with not too many hidey holes.

But that said, as Jim did with the Yankee, you can do with whatever new boat you buy: find out what people have had to fix, and fix it before it breaks. Find out what people are beefing up. Just read about someone installing backing plates for the winches on a Beneteau, for instance. Generally speaking, fender washers do not distribute the loads adequately....and so on.

When you look at the boats, look at potentially weak places, like the locker Boatie mentioned, and chain plates, look for signs of water intrusion, and movement of parts that aren't supposed to move.

There's a thread on here somewhere called something like Surveying 101 that might help, as well.

Ann

Tags
water