Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-09-2013, 15:15   #31

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
Re: To Dismal or...?

Alex,

Your concern with cell coverage make me almost think you might be another telecommuter. We are and I can say that we have three devices (Verizon, AT&T, and US Cellular.) Three general areas of the East Coast have fairly weak coverage in our experience: Sounds Country in NC, the coast of Georgia, and Maine. A Wilson Electronics Sleek cell phone booster can turn a bad signal into a good signal in some areas, but it never seems to create a signal where your device can't see one at all. Still, a very worthwhile piece of kit if cell access is critical. Weather on the sounds being a limiting factor for you and being in a hurry, you may just want to pick a nice weather window and hop from Coinjock down to Beaufort. Of course, there are plenty of worthwhile places to stop in between that have decent cell coverage. Anywhere there's a significant population center, really. We had barely usable coverage in Belhaven, but other towns were better.

Old 20-09-2013, 15:42   #32

Boat: 420DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
Alex,
As a further response to your question of no-wake zone in the Alligator River. As Chuck posted there is not a no-wake zone in this area (other than when passing under the Alligator River Bridge. However just like everywhere else on the ICW care with your wake is necessary to share this waterway with other craft. In the Alligator River this should not be a problem as it is wide and fairly deep. Most of the slower vessels (sailboats, trawlers, etc.) stay in the marked channel and the larger, faster powerboats generally stay far enough outside the channel to mitigate the wake for the other vessels.
You identify your vessel as a 420DB, which I assume is a 42' Searay. You should be able to run the Alligator River at whatever cruising speed you are comfortable with so long as you give other vessels a wide berth.

John
Thanks John. This sure helps with my planning phase. At least I know what my options are.

You're 100% correct, I have 42 Sea Ray. I plan on running in mixed mode (displacement speed and planing speed), which will depend on many different factors like timing, boating traffic, the weather, etc.

I may do a good part of the trip single handed, so I need to know what my options are.

Old 21-09-2013, 07:03   #33
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

...but per John's comment, one time when we came down the Alligator River, a 45' express cruiser did just that. It cruised on plane well outside while a line of us slowpokes worked down the channel. Right as it came back to the south end of the channel to make the turn, it hit a deadhead or a stump, which pulled one of the driveshafts clean out. It drifted into the shallows and was taking on water. He did manage to plug the hole and limp on one damaged prop to Belhaven for repair. But this just shows that there is some risk to going fast outside the channel. The channel often has floating logs, deadheads, etc... but you'll hear them "announced" on the VHF with their coordinates or mile number.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 20:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by marujo.sortudo View Post
Alex,

Your concern with cell coverage make me almost think you might be another telecommuter. We are and I can say that we have three devices (Verizon, AT&T, and US Cellular.) Three general areas of the East Coast have fairly weak coverage in our experience: Sounds Country in NC, the coast of Georgia, and Maine. A Wilson Electronics Sleek cell phone booster can turn a bad signal into a good signal in some areas, but it never seems to create a signal where your device can't see one at all. Still, a very worthwhile piece of kit if cell access is critical. Weather on the sounds being a limiting factor for you and being in a hurry, you may just want to pick a nice weather window and hop from Coinjock down to Beaufort. Of course, there are plenty of worthwhile places to stop in between that have decent cell coverage. Anywhere there's a significant population center, really. We had barely usable coverage in Belhaven, but other towns were better.
Marujo,

You're right in respect to the cell coverage, it's a business related function that I need to have most of the time. I've tested the Wilson Electronics Sleek cell phone booster and was less than satisfied. It gave me only 1 extra bar, which is not acceptable. I have a system from Digital Antenna and it's not what I was hoping for either. So, I'm still trying to find a decent cell signal booster.

Thanks for your reply,
Alex.
Old 22-09-2013, 20:52   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
...but per John's comment, one time when we came down the Alligator River, a 45' express cruiser did just that. It cruised on plane well outside while a line of us slowpokes worked down the channel. Right as it came back to the south end of the channel to make the turn, it hit a deadhead or a stump, which pulled one of the driveshafts clean out. It drifted into the shallows and was taking on water. He did manage to plug the hole and limp on one damaged prop to Belhaven for repair. But this just shows that there is some risk to going fast outside the channel. The channel often has floating logs, deadheads, etc... but you'll hear them "announced" on the VHF with their coordinates or mile number.

Thanks for the reminder. It's always a risk running fast in the new waters, so I would stick to the channel and do my best to control my wake.
Old 14-10-2013, 06:22   #36

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Update:

Pulled into the Deep Creek lock, went through. So much duck weed, blocked the strainer, turned around and went to Coinjock. The primer rib was damn good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: