Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2010, 07:05   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Not where I come from. Three years on a properly maintained modified epoxy bottom, two on an ablative bottom.
Guess it depends on how much distance you cover and if you haul out for the winter.. if your alongside for 5mths out of 6-7 then on the hard for the next 5 sure...
Gee... this is fun....lol

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 08:04   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
How many coats are ya putting on?
One coat for us, (International Cruiser Uno) the paint is designed for one coat, one year, so yes doesn't build up too much or flake off.

And no, still not convinced of the need to spend $600 to lift her out just to sweep up a few drops of paint. There are something like 8000 boats moored in Portsmouth Harbour, plus the RN fleet and commerical ships. My impact is minimal and more importantly to me, cheap

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 16:00   #33

Re: To Bottom Paint, or Not to Bottom Paint (or Just a Touch-Up)

Sorry to necro this thread but as they say people get choked when you dont do a quick search first.

Im sitting idle without engine so my thoughts are wandering while i linger on the boat...

Do you have to paint the bottom of the boat? Or is this just to speed up the boat and prevent mussels/etc from binding to the boat?

My sounder wasnt working so i took a brush to get any slime off that was blocking the beam and i saw a bit of blue floating in the water afterwards. I think theres some non bottom paint of that color just under the waterline so it may or may not have been the actual bottom paint.

My hull is thick fibreglass and my boat sits in fresh water at the slip in an estuary (i sail in salt water). Its easy enough to brush off any slime thats grown and when i go to sea the salt water kills the remaining slime and it just falls off. No mussels or things like that grow on boats moored here.

I talked to a guy at the dock who said that that was very bad and proceeded to tell me that thats why they gelcoat boats. My gelcoat wore off years ago (the boat is a 72 vintage) and the thing still floats fine, bilge gets less than 5 litres of water to pump out a month and im sure a bunch of that is just condensation on the hull (gets a bit worse in the fall when it starts cooling down).

Im sure there is merit to getting the boat on a grid or hauled out from time to time just to check on the bottom and thats a great time to paint it anyway but just wondering if the paint itself has much other purpose than preventing buildup of marine life.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 17:02   #34

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Nope, thats about it.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 04:18   #35

Please Explain "Acetone on Rags"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
It's getting tough to do bottom paint these days. We do it and other than smoothing chips, we don't sand ablative at all but use Acetone and rags. Any sanding is done with vacuum sanders. If going froma soft to a hard paint or to redo the barrier coat, we soda blast and collect ALL of the residue for disposal. No more Smurf's allowed in the yard....
What I don't understand from your post is what acetone and rags will do, in order to create a surface to which your ablative paint will adhere. My rather naïve understanding is that we sand, in order to create a surface to which the ablative paint will adhere. A primer coat always goes on first, no?

Just trying to understand your point of view.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 04:22   #36

You Shittin' Us, or What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
500gms Chili powder, 250gms garlic powder -1 litre bilge paint..... stir well and apply...
Actually, I have heard people swear by something like this, but I never believed it.

I have heard that ablative paint these days does not have enough copper to be very effective so putting in the chili powder makes the paint 2x more effective, thus requiring less cleaning and lasting longer.

As to the garlic, I have not heard that, but I have used it to keep ants at bay.

How serious are you about this?

me again
Old 27-03-2016, 04:32   #37

Love the quote ...

... the one used with your moniker, that is.

Carry on, sailor ... : )

G2L
Old 27-03-2016, 04:58   #38

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Please Explain "Acetone on Rags"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
What I don't understand from your post is what acetone and rags will do, in order to create a surface to which your ablative paint will adhere. My rather naïve understanding is that we sand, in order to create a surface to which the ablative paint will adhere. A primer coat always goes on first, no?

Just trying to understand your point of view.

G2L
CharlieCobra hasn't posted in a couple of years so I daresay he doesn't much care about bottom paint anymore.
Fwiw I have never primed when I'm putting compatible bottom paint over bottom paint, I just sand and rinse off, let dry and paint.
Old 27-03-2016, 05:53   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
CharlieCobra hasn't posted in a couple of years so I daresay he doesn't much care about bottom paint anymore.
Fwiw I have never primed when I'm putting compatible bottom paint over bottom paint, I just sand and rinse off, let dry and paint.
Yeah, I understand that.

G2L
Old 27-03-2016, 06:16   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Yeah, I understand that.

G2L
Rather than waste money on chilli powder which is better used in cooking, you could add extra copper. Indeed VC Offshore comes with the copper separate from the paint. Don't use the VC Offshore though, it's rubbish.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 04:56   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Rather than waste money on chilli powder which is better used in cooking, you could add extra copper. Indeed VC Offshore comes with the copper separate from the paint. Don't use the VC Offshore though, it's rubbish.
Not available where I am, which is why folks are resorting to rather strange methods, which, they swear, work.

Thanks,

G2L
Old 18-04-2018, 16:06   #42

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

i have heard that Horse dewormer can be added to bottom paint
I was told buy a case put half in each gallon of Sea Hawk Tropic We are in Florida. The de wormer is like toothpaste in tubes.
So just maybe barnacles are worms ?
Who knows the real answer i head this from a guy who paints boats in Fla !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 07:08   #43

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

The horse dewormer is a drug which must be metabolized by the body to be effective, additionally, the molecular structure of the drug.would be destroyed by the solvents in the paint......
I am a veterinarian, so valid info.....total waste of money......
Just sayin’......
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 07:43   #44

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

If grids are being used for bottom jobs, then paint (and God knows what else) is going into the water. One boat maybe doesn't have a big impact, but multiply that times everybody who uses the grid, and then multiply that times all the grids being used and it does make a difference. That maintenance technique is so 19th Century, I'm just surprised that it is allowed in Britain.
Yet, you clean bottoms. The "God knows what else" and in the case of ablative, a bit of paint is going into the water. What's the difference?

BTW, we splashed two days ago with Trinidad SR with Irgarol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0855.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	168434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0853.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	168435  

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote