Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 21:15   #46

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Tired of forum post showing up in my search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Wow, this is great! If I understand correctly you have avoided forums for twenty years because why? You and your friend Kevin Costner are such master mariners you couldn't have previously been bothered? I am guessing here as you don't say.

Then one day you were "researching" and found yourself here. To your disconcertment you find "here" to be so rife with misinformation that you decide to break your vow of silence of over twenty years and take it upon yourself to combat this dearth of ignorance simply as a matter of civic responsibility?

Bravo! I mean clearly, based on your aggrandizement of your lifestyle and career as a mariner, we should count ourselves as gilded paupers to be graced by your presence. No doubt our silly little community will benefit and grow through the guidance of your prescient vision.

I look forward to learning the ways of your wisdom. Don't hold back. Please tell us the real truth with regards to anchor selection, guns onboard, and feral cats on shore! But seriously, you'll fit in just fine. There's at least a dozen guys here just like you. I don't mean to sound cruel, you're not that special.

Just My Opinion.
PMSL.

Congratulation Delancey, You are the current "post of year" award holder. You get to keep the trophy until the next decent gun thread!

Though I think you underestimate the "dozen" guys here. I am quite sure that if everyone had to pull their log books out there would be a many many more.
Old 09-02-2014, 21:37   #47
cruiser

Boat: Cheoy Lee 66 M/Y & Cambria 44 S/V - Captain Lurssen 145

Well at least the forum is active. I touched a lot of nerves as the OP
Old 09-02-2014, 21:44   #48

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealubber View Post
I think you knew it was active just from your search results, however, needing to touch nerves is a unique approach/introduction to a new forum.
Old 09-02-2014, 22:03   #49

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Side note, if you dont want this forum appearing in your google searches you can use a Boolean search in google. Eg if you were searching say potatos you would type potatos -cruisersforum. Google will then omit searches from any www.cruisersforum.com location.
Be careful, don't let a moderator see this. You could be banned for reducing hit count.
Old 09-02-2014, 22:07   #50
STG

Boat: Coronado 35

The end of this month marks my third year as a live-aboard. Three years ago when I bought the boat, I knew very little about larger boats, and virtually nothing about sailboats and sailing other than a short sailing class I took 15 years ago. I just knew that I wanted this life, and after my divorce and hard earned freedom after serving time, I went for it. I am not sure I would have without having spent a lot of time on this forum reading other tales. It gave me a lot of confidence knowing others had done it (and still are). As the boat is 40 years old, it tends to need a lot of TLC as I go, and as I am a not so rich DIY guy, this forum is the first place I go, and I have been very appreciative of it. And I do sense a spirit of community there too.

Asking questions and getting answers on this forum, is not much different that if you were asking someone at the docks. You have to evaluate the source and take the advice (or not) based on reputation and/or your gut feeling and common sense. If you don’t like the advice you get from a source (person or forum) you probably shouldn’t keep going to that source. Just my opinion as a non-community internet person.
Old 09-02-2014, 22:11   #51
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Sealubber,

First off I grew up the same way you did. I was born and raised on a 55ft sailboat literally. After high school I wanted nothing to do with the community. My father and mother were drunks so I had a skewed view of the world I was raised in. They were great parents and lived fast and hard and both died under 60.

You seem really bitter towards the sharing of information among sailors. The best advice my father gave me as a child was take what you need from people and leave the rest behind. It's tough growing up in the community and staying in it and not feeling like you have something more important to say sometimes.

After a few years of separation living in the real world and after I decided to return to living off the hook with some interesting neighbours I also sometimes feel like I might know more than I actually do. I have also made my career on the ocean and I live next to people from all walks and learn from all of them.

You have to open your mind sometimes to see the true value people have as a collective. If the forum was doing nothing but breeding garbage advice I doubt it would last as long as this one has.

Feel good that you posted and got some response to it. I'm sure the responses might make you feel embarrassed. But try to take these responses and figure out a way to apologize to the people you offended that do spend their time and do make an effort to provide to the person seeking some advice.

I'm a former USN NEDU Master Diver and a USNA grad. The only knowledge I gained from that was how to deal with personalties. All the knowledge I have gained over the years is from my community. I use these forums regularly to meet people and have gained great networks when I'm cruising. I met a guy on here once that helped me find a slip in a emergency situation.

That's what this is all about. You can meet really great people here. Forget all the formalities, that is for the job market. This is a place for people to discuss ideas and opinions.

As a Captain you should know gaining the confidence of your crew is the #1 trait. Well you have failed to gain any crew on this forum.
Old 09-02-2014, 22:17   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Be careful, don't let a moderator see this. You could be banned for reducing hit count.
Too late, will put him on the naughty boy list.

Coops.
Old 09-02-2014, 22:27   #53

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Boaty is certainly a worthy contender but I believe Rakuflames actually has the CF record.
What has happened to her. Hope she hasn't gone up in Flames
Old 10-02-2014, 02:37   #54

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Lol I doubt it . I am sure the mods will understand that sometimes we all need to filter search results. Oh and it will save bandwidth as well.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:25   #55
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealubber View Post
Not really, you just embarrassed yourself!

I do have one question though...
How do you know your boss is so "full of cum"?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:49   #56
CLOD

Boat: none

Impressive thread in that it has gotten posts from long time members who barely have any.

What's the topic again?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:28   #57

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tired of forum post showing up in my search

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
... Though I think you [Delancy] underestimate the "dozen" guys here. I am quite sure that if everyone had to pull their log books out there would be a many many more.
Sheeeeeiiiiit! Don't make us get our logbooks out.

Sealubber: In my septuagenarian case, my Cal 29 is my bathtub toy. At work, I drive a really old 146' megayot.

How old is it?

Written records were not kept back in those days but there is anecdotal evidence animals once boarded two by two. Suffice to say it's a single screw shrew with no sissy-ass bow thrusters. I was barely off my mermaid mother's breast when I started as Captain.

And I'm a newbie on the forum. Wait 'til the real sailors chip in, sonny boy.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:21   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

From Wikipedia, on collective intelligence:

Pierre Lévy defines collective intelligence as, "It is a form of universally distributed intelligence, constantly enhanced, coordinated in real time, and resulting in the effective mobilization of skills. I'll add the following indispensable characteristic to this definition: The basis and goal of collective intelligence is mutual recognition and enrichment of individuals rather than the cult of fetishized or hypostatized communities." [6]

A suggestion for the OP: read the short book Crucial Confrontations. I recently learned a lot from this book on communication. Many of us were/are experts in our areas of work which tends to exacerbate narcissistic behavior and poor communication skills which leads to spending excessive periods of time alone.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:57   #59
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Not really, you just embarrassed yourself!
I disagree with that! - but in a CF "Play nice" kinda way , rather than in the more normal (??!) online style .

My suspicion is that with OP being unfamiliar with Forums (Fora? ) that he is unaware that his opinion is nothing new. or special.....same / similar gets raised periodically here on CF, inlcuding bleats about "The good old days" - on CF!......Not to say his position is not without some merit, but for what he seeks an online Forum is not the place to be.

Quote:
I do have one question though...
How do you know your boss is so "full of cum"?
His ass tastes funny?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:08   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Ya know....

Been on CF for 6 years and 1200 posts(=newb standard).... Never mentioned I went to KP (USMMA).... Wasn't pertinent... Or asked... But then again... I'm a minimalist horn tooter...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, rum