Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 11:20   #31

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: Tired of forum post showing up in my search

http://www.boatus.com/insurance/survey.aspm, well, all that being said.... this forum I believe is a true form of free speech, aside from the politics of editing which I have no need for comment.
I don't think sealubber a lurker or troll, that may
be a bit harsh. At 49 yo ithink you may be considered a bit of a puppy by some here.I personnally regard your comments as well meaning. However, some may think a bit of tact is missing when conferring with a bunch of old farts. Just lighten up a bit, is all.
I think saw a comment here somewhere, "a person arguing with a fool, is two fools arguing !"
Just take that with a grain or two of salt.
Now regarding surveys I found this...

rm of what we refer to as free speech. Without of course the editing, and lets not get into the politics of thst, ok ?
Sealubber, at 49yo you are a puppy to many here. Not saying your experience doesn't qualify for something of a respect at the least.
I don't think you a lurker or a troll, that may be a bit harsh. I'm not offended by a lot of things, except name calling and I personally don't like being called a liar, which goes back into my adolescence for reasoning.
I think we all are works in progress. I personally like posting with you and others and learn a lot here quickly.
But as a friend, I'd simply say lighten up a bit on us crazy old farts, as we are great entertainment, and life is too short for endless trivial arguments.
Now, off this thread maybe a bit??? I found this regarding surveys,
Old 08-02-2014, 11:22   #32

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Yup and sometimes I'm computer illiterate, yeesch, sorry phat fingers on a tablet..... lost and found blah blah blah
Old 08-02-2014, 16:38   #33

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

No offence meant. Nothing wrong with a little chain pulling or nose tweaking. We have all endured people who don't know their left rudder from their port elbow giving advice, often wrong advice, or just chatting with no context to the discussion. I'd prefer this to be a forum rather than a chat room. But, if you'd like to hear how my dinner went last night. ...

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2014, 16:52   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm a little confused (normal) but is the point of the OP not to believe advise on internet forums, and this advise is posted in an internet forum?
Old 08-02-2014, 16:56   #35
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm a little confused (normal) but is the point of the OP not to believe advise on internet forums, and this advise is posted in an internet forum?

Looks more like a classic case of this to me-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	75540  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 08-02-2014, 17:32   #36
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealubber View Post
But after researching a random part today for my job I finally got fed up with with random post showing up when I'm trying to solve a problem.
Guess we should all stop posting here so as to avoid annoying this guy. Apparently the internet exists for his use only. The rest of us are just lousing up the joint.
Old 08-02-2014, 17:53   #37

Boat: too many

Quote:
I've avoided at all cost to join forums and post things for over 20 years. But after researching a random part today for my job I finally got fed up with with random post showing up when I'm trying to solve a problem.
When I'm doing a search on Google (or other search engines) for info on some product, I'll check the URL address before I click on the hyper link. Sometimes I seek a public forum response, other times I'm looking for the manufacturer.

If your tired of your search queries turning up CF pages, you can block them.
Old 08-02-2014, 18:07   #38

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Was the OP researching real bluewater boats? Or maybe whether he could charter a bareboat with his qualifications?
Old 08-02-2014, 18:10   #39

Boat: too many

I don't know. Our little forum is a real magnet for marine related searches.
Old 08-02-2014, 18:24   #40
CLOD

Boat: none

I know where I do a Google boating related search lots of times I get a lot of hits back to CF (always weird feeling when it is a thread you started yourself). I normally ignore them depending on what I was looking for as I know CF is a forum and that wasn't the input I was looking for.

I would think with time anyone else would figure the same out.
Old 08-02-2014, 19:23   #41

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'll second Dockhead in saying that a 'Community' exists on CF... maybe not all well seasoned 'Old Salts'.. and maybe not all professionals but is that important... many so-called guiding lights in this lifestyle/sport started without formal training yet became 'Legends' in their own lifetimes through their achievements.. others.. less interested in fame and fortune just plod on in the background and chuck in their 0.5cents every so often on here.. a few off us also use this forum to stay in touch.. its so much simpler than e-mails and a lot more fun... someone you met months/years back in Australia... or maybe Panama.. the Med.. re-appears in a thread and one can catch up in public or by PM...
I've personally been helped by total (real life) strangers.. some of whom I've since met.. some I may never meet.. but through this medium I can at least maintain a contact that may wither and die over time otherwise..
I'm a somewhat 'Gobby Buga' on here as the Posts tally in my Avatar will confirm.. only maybe 10% of those are of any real use.. if that.. moist is just horsing about pulling folks chains but that's what makes this such a great place for me.. its not a bunch of me-me occasional posters who only appear when they want something.. and there's a fair few of those..
There's some real characters on here who are not afraid to speak their mind.. ignore the PC ******** so prevalent these days and have extensive experience and valuable advice to those of us still dabbling our toes so to speak..
So it is with regret I have to say.. Your talking outa yer Ass...
For me... and I'm a member of at least 7 other (rarely visited) forums.. CF and the folk I know and have met here virtually is awesome.. stick around.. swing the lantern with us occasionally... you might even grow to like some of us...
A 'Newbie'...
10%?????? .
Old 08-02-2014, 20:00   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tired of forum post showing up in my search

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
10%?????? .
Hey.. I'm a seaman.. what can I say...??
we're famous for our tall stories..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:22   #43

Boat: Catalina 30

Sealubber:

I've sailed around the world 7 times in a bathtub.

See what I did there?

Many many responses to the OP have been spot on.

As an aside: With a few exceptions, my posts have ended
long threads, commonly with only one or two posts
following mine. Don't really know how to take that. (add
appropriate emoticon here)
Old 09-02-2014, 11:33   #44

Nicely put. Sailors help each other as best we can, no one knows everything.
Old 09-02-2014, 21:07   #45

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
While I can't disagree with lurking I can say I don't google advice. I might google a term and hit a forum which is what lead me here to begin with.

I can safely say I've been involved in my streets activities. I can bet many people know me on here as my parents were well known free sailing spirits on the east and west coast of the US and we did 5 loops before I went to college only one with my mother. My father is actually pretty well known in the sailing community through his younger antics and was published several times and now as an elder liveaboard. I was interviewed by Donahue with my brother and sisters about our experience living aboard and being home schooled several times in the late 80's and early 90's. "my street doesn't have a community feel" yeah it doesn't any more. I haven't left and come back. I've been here for years and I feel like every port I hit we are losing more and more of our community.

I've lived all over the world and have many moms and dads which are all passing on these days and I'm not seeing the community as strong as what I grew up in. I still work in it for a living and I still see old friends. I'm not a old timer rejecting technology I just see unfavourable changes these days in areas that once enhanced our community. For example the true salts I knew growing up if they read half these post you'd see here cursing and violent responses would be a short order.

I know not all cruisers are liveaboards and I know not all liveaboards are cruisers. Maybe for the first time I'm getting to read the advice I never got growing up or professionally but No I do not like it and I'll say it's not good placate idiotic statements I've seen in many of these forum post. And it has angered me.
Its seems like you are getting very emotional about this. Sadly, you have a wealth of information you could add rather than just being aggressive in your approach to this forum.

Aside from the fact we are not all drunk, this forum is not much different to the bar in a yacht club.. People of all persuasions and experience give and receive advice -rightly or wrongly, it happens. If one overhears a foolish statement, one can keep quiet or suggest an alternative.

Side note, if you dont want this forum appearing in your google searches you can use a Boolean search in google. Eg if you were searching say potatos you would type potatos -cruisersforum. Google will then omit searches from any www.cruisersforum.com location.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, rum