Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 05:51   #1

Boat: Luger Tradewinds 26
Time for an upgrade

Looking for some experiential advice. I currently own a Luger Tradewinds 26. A nice, economical, trailerable boat, easy to sail. Her 3 major downsides are: no standing headroom, no enclosed head, and no inboard engine. With a family of 5, this boat is VERY tight for cruising. I'm anticipating upgrading to a 29' boat including the above three must-have items. Recommendations on such boats? I am told that "French Invasion" boats from the 80s (Beneteau, Jeanneau, Mirage) come with a more modern interior than 1970s boats and might be more functional. I'm looking for options that don't break the bank. thanks.
leefromcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 06:58   #2

Re: Time for an upgrade

What's your budget? What kind of cruising do you do and where? Does it have to be easily trailerable?
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 14:56   #3

I'm hoping for up to $15000. I sail the Great Lakes. Lots of day sailing. some week-long trips with the family.
Old 18-04-2017, 16:46   #4

So I would think a Catalina 30, s2 30, or endeavor 32 would suite you well in your budget. You will get more bang for your buck if you find one with a a30 gas engine but resale is a bit lower.
Old 18-04-2017, 16:50   #5

thanks. I've also been told that there is a significant jump in sailboat costs (slip fees, accessories, maintenence, etc ) from a 29' to 30' boat. I was advised to stay under 30'. thoughts?
Old 18-04-2017, 16:50   #6

by the way. I am assuming this upgrade will NOT be a trailerable boat.
Old 18-04-2017, 17:01   #7

Lol not trailerable. No, the one foot doesn't make a difference. In fact, lots of marinas charge a minimum 30' anyway. The biggest jump will be having to keep the boat in the water and the associated costs.
Old 18-04-2017, 17:49   #8

yes - several "boat bucks" more to keep a boat in the water and at the marina full time. what about the Tanzer 29?
Old 18-04-2017, 18:06   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Leefromcanada,

How tall are you?

My Jim used to own a Yankee 30, and he was able to stand up to cook in the galley. He is 5'10" (1.778m) tall. It had an Atomic 4 gasoline engine, but at this remove in time, you might find one with a diesel. Imho, a 30 footer will be small for 5, there's not a whole lot of space for stores, and kids keep on growing.

However, for day sails and short trips, why not? Something to think about is if you and your good lady want to sleep in the forepeak, where will you store sails and dinghy?

The Yankee had a drop down table which made into a double, the forepeak double, and a quarterberth. That table was also the chart table, but could be done without in order to sleep.

Please understand, I am not meaning to discourage you. Jim's boat was big enough for us to take 2 week trips to the Channel Is. off Santa Barbara in Calif., and one long triip to Hawaii and back, but it was just the two of us.

Good luck with your search, I think there will have to be a lot of "sweat equity" at the price level you're considering, nothing wrong with that.

Ann

PS, if you should decide on a Yankee, send Jim a PM: he'll have some hints for you, it is a really nice sailing boat.
Old 18-04-2017, 18:13   #10

Thanks Ann.

I too am 5'10". I don't mind "sweat equity". In fact, I enjoy having a project to work on. My first boat was a 16' twin keeler (scrap) which I took 10 months to fully restore. Great fun!

I've taken my family of 5 on 2 separate week-long cruises on our current 26' boat. Anything bigger would be a dream!

I'll check out the Yankee 30. Although - as a Canadian - I'm not sure about owning a "Yankee". :-)
Old 18-04-2017, 18:20   #11

what do you think about the C&C 29 or C&C 29-2?
Old 18-04-2017, 18:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefromcanada View Post
thanks. I've also been told that there is a significant jump in sailboat costs (slip fees, accessories, maintenence, etc ) from a 29' to 30' boat. I was advised to stay under 30'. thoughts?
Balderdash. Really. The answer simply lies in slip fees where you are located. If that's the local "custom" then so be it. If not, then it's an urban myth. Do some research and find out, then you'll see.

My experience has been that slips are based on length and width. Each area has different costs. Indeed, many marinas have different approaches. We had a slip in one marina that was relatively newer compared to its next door neighbor marina that had been built years and years earlier. Ours had concrete docks, the older one was wooden docks. Slips sizes were different.

So, try to avoid generalities and find out specifics.

Compared to your present boat, a Catalina 30 will seem like a luxury liner --- for awhile.

It all depends on how you choose to use the boat.

Remember, though, that a boat in the water could very well get much more use than a trailer sailor. This is from my own personal experience, as well as boating forums.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 19:22   #13

Good advice Stu. Launching our Luger is quite easy - but still takes at least 30 - 40 minutes - with skipper plus first mate going strong. I get tired of hitting the tree branches (which the marina refuses to cut down), with the top of my mast as I trailer it to the dry-dock compound. I'm not the only one who has suffered a broken top-of-mast light. :-(

What's the advice regarding anti-fouling paint? I assumed it should be stripped off and repainted each season. I'm surprised by the number of boats for sale boasting they were bottom-coated in 2014 or 2015!
Old 18-04-2017, 21:03   #14

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Catalina 30. It's the Honda Accord of boats. It does nothing great, but everything very well. Resale is good, and you can get an early 80s boat for $5k or a 90s boat w/ diesel for $20k.

I grew up on a Grampian 26 with three kids and two dogs. We kids didn't think anything of it. The Grampian 30 was "huge". The Catalina 30 makes the Grampian look like a Hyundai.

I have a C30, had it for 23 years. I want to go bigger, and to replace the space and add a few more upgrades I need to go to a 42' boat.

Almost pulled the pin on a Beneteau 430, and in the mean time had people lined up to buy my C30. If you have a C30 you don't need a broker.

The Saber 28 is a bit smaller and tighter. Another option is the CS 30 which is a great boat. Or Newport 30, which is typically better finished interior, but not as high quality overall.

Two adults in forward cabin. Room for two snugglers in 7' aft cabin. Drop the table and you have room for two 5.5' people, plus the side berth for a slim person 7' long. For you, that's mom& dad up forward, two kids in the aft, one on table, and one on the side berth. That's room for one more.

Get a C30 with a diesel. Can't go wrong. And chances are you can sell it for what you paid for it.

Oh, and BTW if you're 5'10 and not 5'11.5 you'll clear the interior bolts for the deck hardware. Ask the divots in my head how I know this.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 04:00   #15

ha ha . love the imagery of the coco clunks! we've all been there!