Old 17-06-2011, 17:59   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: tiller pilot vs wheel pilot??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Sure there are all sorts of pro's and con's for every individual situation, and I'm not trying to argue for every case. But if you're in the situation where you could go either way, and you're considering the autopilot question, there's a lot to be said for tiller pilots.

You don't carry a couple of grand's worth of spare motors, rams, hydraulic hoses, belts or whatever and spend hours trying to fit them. You simply disconnect your faulty tiller pilot, then put the $500 spare unit in its place, in about 1 minute flat, then go and park your lazy bum on that nice bean bag.

lockie
the gods made rescue tape for a gooood reason. saVES TIME AND BOTHER ON WAY INTO A PLACE TO PURCHASE NEW HOSES. OLIVE OIL IS GREAT FOR HYDRAULIC LEAKAGE ALSO. oops sorry about typoing.
hydraulic also WORKS in high winds and big seas an such other stuff as comes up during real time cruising.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 04:09   #17

Boat: Compass 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the gods made rescue tape for a gooood reason. saVES TIME AND BOTHER ON WAY INTO A PLACE TO PURCHASE NEW HOSES. OLIVE OIL IS GREAT FOR HYDRAULIC LEAKAGE ALSO. oops sorry about typoing.
hydraulic also WORKS in high winds and big seas an such other stuff as comes up during real time cruising.

True, true, my friend. But you're still scrabbling around with rolls of tape and bottles of olive oil (after you've found the leak way down under the lazarette or somewhere) long after I've plugged in the replacement tiller pilot and gone below for a cuppa. Naturally, being such a clever chap, I bought oversized ones to cope with heavy loads. I'm such a smug bastard aren't I?

lockie

Old 18-06-2011, 07:39   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

how far have ye sailed in heavy weather with a tiller autohelm?? how accurately does it steer in heavy weather? same with a wheel autohelm??? i havve sailed heavy weather with wheel autohelm-- it didnt work. i LOVE my hydraulic mounted on quadrant autopilot, as it WORKS in heavy weather. AND it will ACCURATELY steer in large seas and big winds....without being tended, as is needed for the wheel autohelm.
i only used a tiller autohelm between catalina and lost angels--it wasnt adequate --and it was oversized-- for the job of dealing with seas and winds. have a reallly goood cruise.
if you are below for a cuppa and also on watch, how do you watch?? especially as the reliability factor in heavy seas is questionable.....
besides, routine inspections of the hdl unit prevent unexpected problems. and keeping the rescue tape where it is needed makes it easily placed before the need to add much anything to anywhere.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 08:40   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
Jim the wheel mecanism takes too much room in both my lazarette and under cockpit...normaly both compartements are scealed from each other...this is why I want the wheel out...I will add an extra tiller and rudder on the transome as an emergency option...this boat has a skeg and fin keel, shes said to be well balanced and cheet to tiller maybe all I need??

cheers
G'Day again, Steeve,

I think that in your situation you are making a reasonable choice re wheel vs tiller.

But,if you are going to build an auxiliary rudder anyway, consider making it part of a wind vane. Wind vanes are (IM fairly experienced O) highly desirable for a short handed smaller cruising boat, and they can be built by the amateur for not much more money than the rudder that you are proposing.

If you did this, then the decision about the autopilot would become simple: a smaller and less expensive tiller pilot would be adequate to steer while motoring and in light airs... the situations where the wind vane fails to work. The vane requires no power, is reliable, and should it fail, you (the builder of it) will be able to repair it yourself.

The idea of sheet to tiller steering is doable in boats of your size, but they are not a substitute for either a vane or an a/p. They will steer reasonably as long as nothing changes. That is, slight changes in wind strength or wave height or angle will discombobulate them and require input from the helmsman. How do I know...?

Ann and my first offshore voyage was in a Yankee 30 (S&S design fin keel and skeg rudder) from SF to Hawaii and back. In our inexperience we went with only an Autohelm 2000 tiller pilot as self steering. Did just fine on the way over, but two days into the return voyage it died. With the prospect of over 2000 miles of hand steering facing us, we built a sheet to tiller rig. It included making a new mainsheet from the end of the boom, and lots of other bits of string around the cockpit, plus the elastic from a speargun that we carried. After a couple of days fooling around with it we got it to steer pretty well, but as described above, every few minutes the watchkeeper would have to adjust it. Not great, but way better than continually manning the helm. Arrived back in SF 19 days later, pretty tired!

To sum it up, if you are going to be very far from a service/replacement center for a tiller pilot, carry a spare, or two. If you build a vane incorporating an auxiliary rudder I think that you are ok without the spare. To me, spending the price of the spare on building the vane is a good tradeoff. YMMV as always.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-06-2011, 09:44   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

My Raymarine autopilot broke on both of my last two Bahamas cruises. It's expensive enough that for budget cruising, it's not practical to bring a spare. I'd prefer the simplicity of a tiller pilot and spare.

Ideally, I prefer what Zeehag has.
Old 21-06-2011, 14:52   #21

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

I like wheels so much that I got Two of 'em...James

Tags
wheel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: