Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-03-2010, 13:48   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
My columbia 9.6 had a tiller I converted to a wheel.
So did we, The wife and the kids prefer the wheel even at the expence of cockpit space.

I think you need to find a local yachting school or sailing club and ask someone to take you out for a few hours to see the difference.

Pete

Old 05-03-2010, 19:47   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
I am yet to see an Opti with the wheel, so to me beginner = tiller.

Size does not count, boats as big as 55+ can be steered with a tiller.

It is all about personal preference, I know, but to me - tiller!

b.

Old 05-03-2010, 20:55   #18
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Learning sailing is easier with a tiller. After that it doesn't really matter anymore.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:24   #19

Boat: Oday30-B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbershabber View Post
Is one more forgiving than another?
I prefer tiller over wheel, seems more responsive and instinctive -- but the Admiral prefers a wheel… one thing for sure, make sure you have one or the other…
Old 06-03-2010, 17:48   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Shibbershabber,

Forgive me for being a bit blunt, but if you have to ask this question, you just might not be really ready to make a boat-buying decision. For goodness sakes, go out and try sailing on other peoples' boats with both types of steering and learn which YOU like better. As you can see by the diversity of passionate opinions expressed in these postings, in is a very personal choice, and also one highly dependent on the sailing/steering characteristics of specific boats, and upon the seating position for the helmsman.

Please, get some hands on experience before you write the big check!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v INsatiable II lying Church Point, NSW, Oz
Old 08-03-2010, 06:32   #21

I'm surprised that you were able to figure out what 2 boats would serve your purpose without any idea how to sail and have never owned a boat - I wouldn't have had a clue when I had no experience.

I would do as others have suggested and start with a small daysailor with a tiller. You get into a bigger boat with no idea how to sail, and there are just too many other distractions to keep you from concentrating on what you need to do to sail the boat well.

With a small daysailor, there's just you, the boat, and the wind.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:09   #22

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau
Another View

If time permits.. yes, gaining some experience will be profitable. But in some instances such as older age, time to start learning with basics is not an available luxury. If you can't gain the experience before "writing the big check", then do your homework. Ask lots of questions and read as much as possible and lean upon people you trust. After sailing for three hours in my son's 33' tiller setup, my wife (the Admiral) made it clear she wanted a wheel. Pushing the tiller one way to turn the other direction did not compute for her. So, if you are not planning to always sail solo, be sure to consider the capabilities of your mate.

For us, the second major consideration was keel style. Hal Roth in his book "Handling Storms" convinced me we would purchase a full keel boat that did not "turtle" for very long. That dramatically narrowed our search. With the current market, timing and availability forced us to commit before gaining more than several hours sailing experience. A fire sale price on a desirable boat will not remain available for long.

So, my recommendation: do the homework, ask the questions and make up your mind what type of boat you want. Think about it this way..if there is strong opinion for both tiller and wheel, how wrong can your choice be! When you find your boat at the right price...write the check! If you discover there is a better boat or prefer a different steering setup in five years..sell it and move on.

Life's opportunities are is too short to analyze indefinitely.

Bill
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
A tiller will give a beginner much better feedback than a wheel. One of those feed backs is what happens with what rudder angle, which a wheel cannot provide nearly as well.

The other feedback is the amount of force the water is applying to the rudder.

The most efficient sailors use as little force on the rudder as necessary because the more the rudder is used, the slower the boat travels. I think having a tiller in your hand minimizes your rudder use over having a wheel in your hand.

Both are indicators of how well you are sailing the boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 19:59   #24

Boat: In the market, as it were, but to be S/V Andronikos
Indeed there are advantages to both. The tiller is more responsive, the wheel provides support. I have had the opportunity to sail with both types extensively and I would say, while I may prefer the feel of a tiller, for the realities of my sailing situation in coastal Maine, I choose the wheel. Tillers are great and classic, but without an extension quick turns can be a problem and a part of the cockpit is bound to walk away with shin injuries when there's a blow. That said, I love them to death just as I wish I could throw my crew to the locker most of the time. But we have many concerns in my area including...LOBSTER POTS!! They are the evilest, vilest, despicablest detriments to navigation in the water. They will catch on anything below your waterline unless you are in a full keel offshore passagemaker, which you wouldn't be. In fighting these evil things, a wheel is a critical tool. Standing at the wheel lets you see them further away, see more of them, and react more effectively. Some may point out you can stand with the tiller between your knees, but I know I am not able to respond as well to these menaces to sailors without the wheel. With it you can easily move your hands, the wheel, and also the rudder to turn you away from their trapping grip of death. It doesn't matter whether the wheel turns more effectively, it matters that you can anticipate further and act more effectively. Of course, I suppose that is really just my opinion based on my own experience with the great evil.
lobstahpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 20:20   #25

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
A long haul on one tack can be very tiring with a tiller - my previous boat had one - and half a day or so hauls would be hard work - even though the boat was beautifully balanced - just the action of seas and gusts make you work.
My current boat with a wheel is much easier. I did like the tiller around the cans though!
Old 11-03-2010, 17:44   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portobello View Post
A long haul on one tack can be very tiring with a tiller - my previous boat had one - and half a day or so hauls would be hard work - even though the boat was beautifully balanced - just the action of seas and gusts make you work.
My current boat with a wheel is much easier. I did like the tiller around the cans though!
Porto- do you really man the helm for long periods of time? I must get bored to easily. Within 15 minutes of leaving the marina I have my self steering set up and let it handle the waves....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: