Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-12-2010, 08:47   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater

Wing keels have a reputation for acting like a mushroom anchor if left on the mud for long. The wing can generate a LOT of suction.

If it really dries out there, I would get something really little and enjoy it, rather than fight with too-big all the time. Your going to get sick of getting stuck and get sick of the bridge game.
Never really dries out and only really see the mud on extremely low tide. I think as long as I baby sit her the first couple of tide changes she should make her own hole in which water would remain in even during low tide.

Old 13-12-2010, 08:58   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Your going to get sick of getting stuck and get sick of the bridge game.
This really is a rough game you are making for yourself. A 26 ft boat stepping and unstepping a mast on land isn't that bad. Doing it on the water seems a bit much. Doing it anytime you go out seems tedious and having to do it again everytime you want to come back is more than tedious.

Quote:
I think as long as I baby sit her the first couple of tide changes she should make her own hole in which water would remain in even during low tide.
It might not. Things change. The bottom has a tendency to level out so the process of making the hole happens constantly. You get a super low winter tide and prevailing winds blow water out of the creek then blows it all back with a surge means that the rate of water level change dramatically increases as well as the volume. It only take one time to bury the keel enough for a problem you will have no ability to deal with except to watch!

Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 09:10   #18
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
if it is mud then I have experience with it .. having kept a boat behind my house on a tidal creek that sometimes dried out. i never had any problems with thru hulls getting clogged up or with the boat leaning over .. it did create a small pool as stated above and always appeared to be floating. my boat does not have a wing keel. but it does limit the times that you could go sailing.
Old 13-12-2010, 09:30   #19

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
3d,

I lived on my 32 foot monohull sailboat in sf bay in a shallow creek with floating docks (5'6 draft 10k lb boat). At low tide you could not get into your slip. But my boat settled into the muck nicely at low tide. I could even touch the bottom at extreme low tides. Neither I nor anyone else had any problems. Boat never healed over, just sunk in.
Old 13-12-2010, 10:43   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
The only thing to be aware of is that hydrogen sulfide can be highly corrosive to metals including stainless steel. Deep mud often contains high concentrations of it, so be sure to keep an extra close eye on any metal parts that might get submerged in the mud.
Old 13-12-2010, 11:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill
The only thing to be aware of is that hydrogen sulfide can be highly corrosive to metals including stainless steel. Deep mud often contains high concentrations of it, so be sure to keep an extra close eye on any metal parts that might get submerged in the mud.
Only seen pictures of her out of the water but looks like the only metal is the keel and probably rudder hardware which the latter I should be able to inspect regularly. Thanks for the info.
Old 13-12-2010, 13:54   #22

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah
Perhaps an odd question, as I've never been to the Chesapeake area. Would it be possible to put your boat on a mooring a few hundred yards from your home? Keep a small dinghy at your dock and row out to it. Or is the river the same depth all over, or a marked channel making this impossible? Obviously, it doesn't solve the mast situation...

** posted by IPhone
Old 13-12-2010, 14:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by serah View Post
Would it be possible to put your boat on a mooring a few hundred yards from your home? Keep a small dinghy at your dock and row out to it.
** posted by IPhone
Excellent question. I don't know what the rules are for that. I am on what is known as Hampton River and there really is no room to anchor without interferring with traffic. However there is lots of room once you get out of the river. At that point I am not sure if it is part of the James river or part of Chesapeake Bay. I do have a jetski that I could use but I am leary of leaving either of them un-attended.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: