Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2016, 22:37   #1

Thoughts on this boat?

Hello,

I'm currently looking for my first boat. I'd like her to be good for bluewater cruising and living aboard. My budget at the moment, before doing any work on her is about 50k, though I don't want to go crazy on the refit, either. I'd like to do any repairs and changes myself, to save money and because I see the boat work as half the fun!
Anyways, I'd like to intruduce you to Phantom. Which has recenly caught my eye:
1978 Van De Stadt 45 Cruiser Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Mostly, I'd like to hear some professional opinions from some of the saltier dogs among the cruising veterans, particularly anyone with firsthand experience with Van De Stadt boats from the 70's and 80's. Is 50k a fair price for a boa in good condition, or does that price imply a hidden issue? She seems well suited to cruising to me, but what do you think?
I really like the look of her, I'm OK with the price tag, I like the length, and and I like the custom bowsprit. What I would not like, is to find that she has some hidden design oversight, or has some serious problems with the fiberglass or something of that nature. Obviously, to really get a good answer, I'm going to have to get her surveyed and see her myself in person, but short of spending a bunch of money doing that, I am curious; what are your impressions?

I appreciate any input you can provide!

Cheers.
Butterman is offline   Reply With Quote