Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2010, 16:44   #1

Thoughts on Morgan 382 ?

Im in Bay area and looking for a strong, capable, most bang for my buck cruiser. There are a few Morgan 382's in my area from 1978-1981 or so. From pictures and what ive read I like what I see. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these boats as far a livaboards and cruisers. Looking for a boat to cross an ocean in and want to hear some thoughts.

Thanks!
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 17:23   #2

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
I too am shopping and happened to be lucky enough to have sailed on one in June. The particular vessel I was on was very well maintained and sailed like a dream. The cockpit is deep and I felt very safe in the heavy weather we were in that day. My only complaint would be that the engine compartment is cramped. Well, and there might me a lack of storage space.

The only reason I did not make an offer is I have my mind made up on a Downeaster 38.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 11:36   #3

Has anyone ever cruised on one? Would love to hear a first hand account.
Old 15-09-2010, 12:14   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Excellent cruising boat. Here's my buddy's. We sailed together for about six or seven years. I think his was a 384.

Old 15-09-2010, 12:32   #5

Boat: Morgan 382 - 38' 4"
Morgan 382

I bought one last year. While I haven't cruised on it, the previous owner cruised the Caribbean in it. Also, many of them are currently cruising. Check out morgan38.org for more information.
TFrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 12:33   #6

Awsome, thanks!
Old 15-09-2010, 12:41   #7
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
One of the flaws as I remember was a recall for a bulkhead anomaly that needed to be fixed. The other pertains I believe to rot in the hull as its cored.

The only downside I've seen walking aboard some of the ones in the bay area are some flex issues, the location of the hatch on the fore-deck, anchor well problems, and a small engine workspace. There was one recently that sold that had some real breakages on it. I passed on that one.

The usual boring advice - spend a ton of time looking it over when you are on it, and get a real survey done on the hull, the engine/mechanicals, and the rigging. - Three separate surveys.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 12:44   #8
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
"Construction of this series is generally sound with one known exception affecting some early 382 models. The bulkhead between the head and the main cabin was not tabbed securely to the hull. This resulted in mast loads causing hull distortions. The problem resulted in a manufacturers recall when it was discovered. I'd be surprised to find boats that have not been repaired by this late date. Reportedly, some 382 model boats were constructed of solid fiberglass and resin laminates. However, most boat were built with a sandwich method of construction using fiberglass and resin laminates over a core material. A variety of core materials were experimented with over the years. Airex foam was most often used although it is difficult, if not impossible, to determine, with certainty, the core material used without destructive testing. Some 382 and 383 models were reported to have been built using the same fire-retardent resins blamed for causing much of the osmotic blistering problems that plagued Valiant 40's and Uniflite power boats. Few 15-to 20-year-old fiberglass boat are seen without some osmotic blisters unless there has been extensive and expensive repairs. It is not uncommon to find some degree of blistering on Morgan 38s but I have not seen nor heard of a problem as extensive as the reports of the Valiant and Uniflite. "
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 12:47   #9

Boat: Morgan 382 - 38' 4"
Morgan recalled the bulkhead issue and nearly every boat has been repaired. This only occurred on the early models as they corrected the problem after the first few years. My anchor locker has been glassed over so I know nothing about the flexing. The engine space is small as with most of the aft cockpit boats from the era. The quarter berth has a door for accessing the starboard side of the engine and the transmission.
TFrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 17:50   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
Been on board of one of those time ago and I was in love - very seagoing layout, a bit cramped but I prefer a bit cramped to a bit too beamy in the seaway.

Later I also found one of the older Tartans (I believe one of the 37* range) to be a very close match. Same benefits and shortcomings as above.

A bit later yet I met the Pearson 365 (ketch) and she was a great boat too. Again - similar to the two above but a ketch and I like the fact of having smaller sails. They say she does not sail too well upwind though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 16:02   #11

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16
It is hard to beat a Morgan 382 in the $40,000 to $50,000 price range. The 382 is layed out very good for two for a long cruise. I spent 13 days with three and it was fine, but with two it is wonderful. Lots of room and very comfy. The 382 has good motion at sea, hull does not slap going to weather. The 382 has bulwarks, skeg hung rudder. Internal ballast, keel stepped mask. Center line galley sink. Salt water pump and back up fresh water pump. I take mine out of port in gale force winds and watch skippers of larger boats shrink with fear. If you can find a 382 with a Perkins 4-108 great. The 30hp Yanmar is probably OK but if your bucking a 5 knot current I would prefer the 50HP Perkins. Some 382 owners have covered over there pilot berths for storage. I like it open as it gives a more open atmosphere. I think the 382 is under valued and a great buy in the 38' class. They are standard with 5' draft but some ordered the 6' draft. I like the 5' as it gives you more room for shallow spots.
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 17:58   #12

Boat: Morgan 382 #75
Re: Thoughts on Morgan 382 ?

The pilot berth is a great place for a 39" flat screen. Add a computer surround sound and you will never want to leave
jdenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 04:26   #13

Re: Thoughts on Morgan 382 ?

I’m in Morehead City NC and have a Morgan 382 for sale. Can be found on the local Craigslist for pics, info and contact information. She is a sound boat with lots of room. Can easily handle the blue water.
DreamCatcher382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan