Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-02-2016, 15:05   #16

Re: Thoughts on liveaboard

Great looking boat. If you moor stern to, you might prefer an open transom and removable wheel. It's a pain to climb onto the bench and over the transom every time you get out. Same thing with using the bbq. The helm takes up lots of cockpit space and might restrict entertaining. For two it's great although those cup holders are no good with champagne flutes.
If I was going to live on board every day, I would want a (semi) island bed so that I don't have to crawl out of bed in the middle of the night when nature calls. We sleep in separate cabins because a double bed or even a bed at the bow is just a bit "touchy" when what you want to do is sleep. Am I getting too old?

Old 16-02-2016, 07:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by couple2sail View Post
Can you explain why not optimum blue water?
Yes.

'Optimum blue water' is not yet to be found in Merriam-Webster nor in Britannica.

An optimum blue water boat might have some, or all, of the following features:

- a sail plan split into easily manageable / swappable units,
- a hull shape that promotes efficient upwind work in heavy going,
- excess stability,
- a protected cockpit area (e.g. hard dodger, pilot house),
- a protected, adequately designed rudder structure,
- design features that add to survivability in case of flooding (watertight doors/bulkheads, dams, designed-in unsink'ablity, etc),

The above is a short list. There are more desirable features but I will skip over them to make the post more digestable.

Countless open water passages have been done in boats that are far from the above proposed 'blue water optimum' ideal. This, however, does not make these designs blue water optimal.

Examples of boats optimised for blue water: Atlantic 46, Amel 54, Breehorn 44, Paradise 60, Catana 431 Ocean, etc.

Cheers,
barnakiel

Old 16-02-2016, 10:59   #18
CHM
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

I have a 1988 Beneteau 430 and the honest considerations or weakness in "blue water" has only to do with the keel and rudder. Having said this, there are plenty of these boats crossing the ocean regularly. But the spade rudder is a weakness as compared to a hinged rudder off a full keel. I would not make a decision based on this but they are considerations.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-02-2016, 11:39   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Ever notice that when you look around the anchorages while actually out Cruising you see boats that the Chat room experts said shouldn't and couldn't be there. Buy what you like and can afford and Do it. Just by actually GOING rather than planning you will be miles ahead of most who always seem to find an excuse why they can't go "this year" because their proper blue water boat isn't tricked out with all the best gear yet.

One more year of working and they will be "ready"....then old age or cancer hits and the dream is over. Go Simple. Go Now. If you think you made a boat choice mistake...a boat isn't not like herpes and with you forever...buy a different one but this time with all the learning you made yourself to help in the decision.
SV THIRD DAY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 12:20   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

It is as the two posters above said. A perfect boat does not exist nor is required. What you want is a strong, safe and well maintained boat that will take you places.

Sailing is not about having the best boat, it is about sailing the one we have.

Let us know how you find this boat when you get close up and personal with her.

b.
Old 16-02-2016, 12:52   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is as the two posters above said. A perfect boat does not exist nor is required. What you want is a strong, safe and well maintained boat that will take you places.

Sailing is not about having the best boat, it is about sailing the one we have.

Let us know how you find this boat when you get close up and personal with her.

b.
Not only about sailing the one we have, but also, sailing it the best we can. We have some friends who doublehanded a Top Hat (24 or 25 footer) from Australia to Canada via Hawaii, and then back along the milk run. Understand your boat's weaknesses, compensate for them as well as possible, and go do what you want to do. That is what most of us old timers have done. Some bought Passports and Valiants, and others "run what they brung." It does require more intimate involvement with the particular boat than is common among land based boat owners.

Ann
Old 16-02-2016, 12:56   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

PS. Also, what SV Third Day said. It is about the commitment to the project and learning by doing.

If you're ever in a position to upgrade, you'll do it, but in the mean time, you'll have been having many memorable experiences and met many really super folks!

Ann
Old 16-02-2016, 15:13   #23
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I think a perfect blue water boat that is a perfect live aboard boat is going to be a pretty big boat. But that's just me as there are bound to be people that will toss out the name of some 24' boat they feel does both.

In my little mind the real boat question people like the OP should ask is:

"Would this boat make a good cruiser?"

I don't really know anything about the asked about Bene 390, but I believe the answer for the above question for it is yes.
Old 16-02-2016, 15:23   #24
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Thoughts on liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I feel anyone tossing out a brand name as being bad instead of a specific model that they personally have experience with is just being a "T" word.
Just polishing up the name I have in certain quarters...
Standards old chap.. Standards..!!

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 15:39   #25
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Just polishing up the name I have in certain quarters...
Standards old chap.. Standards..!!
Standards are like quality. Everyone has standards just as every item has quality. But of course that means nothing really.
Old 17-02-2016, 19:42   #26

Boat: Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
Re the comments about blue water. This may be a reference to things like water capacity, fuel capacity, galley design, air conditioning (an add on I know but ..), handholds down below etc.
We lived aboard a 1991 Hunter 43 which was comfortable enough in port and in lighter conditions but because of the lightness of build was lively in heavier weather/seas. This is where for example the layout below is important and for many an L shaped galley is essential.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I have been paying close attention to the water and fuel capacity of any boat that I have lusted after in this process. We are attending the Annapolis Boat show again this year to get a better feel on what we "think" we want in a live aboard/cruiser.
I appreciate your opinions.. Thank you..
Old 17-02-2016, 19:44   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Great looking boat. If you moor stern to, you might prefer an open transom and removable wheel. It's a pain to climb onto the bench and over the transom every time you get out. Same thing with using the bbq. The helm takes up lots of cockpit space and might restrict entertaining. For two it's great although those cup holders are no good with champagne flutes.
If I was going to live on board every day, I would want a (semi) island bed so that I don't have to crawl out of bed in the middle of the night when nature calls. We sleep in separate cabins because a double bed or even a bed at the bow is just a bit "touchy" when what you want to do is sleep. Am I getting too old?
Can you just change out the wheel? The transom was a bit curious looking but I did like the swim ladder on the back. What are your thoughts on installing a wind vane on this type of set up?

We really like the Moody's with the aft cabin. So hard to find though..
Old 17-02-2016, 19:45   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHM View Post
I have a 1988 Beneteau 430 and the honest considerations or weakness in "blue water" has only to do with the keel and rudder. Having said this, there are plenty of these boats crossing the ocean regularly. But the spade rudder is a weakness as compared to a hinged rudder off a full keel. I would not make a decision based on this but they are considerations.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I agree with the "spade rudder" concern. The rest of the boat looks so fitting for us but there are so many options out there...
Old 17-02-2016, 19:47   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Not only about sailing the one we have, but also, sailing it the best we can. We have some friends who doublehanded a Top Hat (24 or 25 footer) from Australia to Canada via Hawaii, and then back along the milk run. Understand your boat's weaknesses, compensate for them as well as possible, and go do what you want to do. That is what most of us old timers have done. Some bought Passports and Valiants, and others "run what they brung." It does require more intimate involvement with the particular boat than is common among land based boat owners.

Ann
Thank you for the sensible words Ann. I agree with the intimate involvement. I am just afraid that we make the wrong choice and spend time uplifting, working on and then have to deal with selling it and getting a different one
Old 17-02-2016, 19:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think a perfect blue water boat that is a perfect live aboard boat is going to be a pretty big boat. But that's just me as there are bound to be people that will toss out the name of some 24' boat they feel does both.

In my little mind the real boat question people like the OP should ask is:

"Would this boat make a good cruiser?"

I don't really know anything about the asked about Bene 390, but I believe the answer for the above question for it is yes.
Thank you

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: