Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-12-2013, 14:04   #16

Boat: Catalina 38 S&S
Re: Thoughts on Catalina 38

Originally Posted by rodney_k View Post
I owned & lived aboard a 1985 model year C-38 for 5 years. I absolutely loved that boat. Very fast upwind but could be a roller in a bit of breeze downwind. The rolling downwind could be controlled & almost eliminated by not sailing too deep. We found the boat to be sturdy. She put up with SF Bay's windy weather and N. California's rough offshore conditions with out a single break down in the time we owned her. As far as sailing better than a C-36, just isn't so. Having sailed aboard both boats, the hull shape and extra displacement makes the C-38 motion much better in a chop. As far as speed, PHRF ratings in N. Cal are in the range of 141 to 138 for a C-36, and 117 for a C-38, at least a 21 second per mile advantage for a C-38, at least in the minds of the N. Cal PHRF board.
Hi Rod,

I'm new here and just bought a 1984 S&S hulled Catalina 38. My second sail boat after my 27' Catalina was turned into an expensive lawn ornament during hurricane Ivan. I've only had her out a couple of times having just acquired her, but she is a fantastic boat - fast, handles like a dream, sturdy, beautiful lines, plenty of room on board and yes (again) fast. I think she is just about the sweetest looking design I've ever seen and I like the tumblehome design. The only thing I can possibly complain about is her very deep 6'9" draft - given the shoal waters here in NW Florida Gulf Coast, but it's well worth the hassle for the way she handles in heavy wind. I can't believe how lucky I was to find her. Thanks for you nice post!

lrandolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 14:49   #17

A few years ago I researched both the C38 and the C36 and one thing that kept popping up, was how well the 38 went to weather. Any barge can sail on a reach or a run, and some do it quite well, but it takes a well designed boat to make good to weather. Sparkman and Stevens were Masters at that. I keep seeing people say that GENTLEMEN DONT SAIL UPWIND , and I keep thinking that it is because they bought a poorly designed boat. The 38 sounds like a hell of a boat. ______Grant.

gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 01:25   #18

Years ago we sailed an S&S designed Tartan 44 all over the SPacific and NPacific we only came across one other boat that could point with us. Those designs could really go upwind and very comfy with. no slamming

robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

catalina, catalina 38

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: