Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 20:49   #61

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Thoughts on biminis A necessity?

A small addition to what Jim wrote.... We have had, on our last two boats, cockpit awnings that could be used also to catch rain water.

We're all gonna die anyways, but it's still a good deal to have sun protection. Biminis are one popular solution. Having a dodger helps, but having it have a mid-panel that opens to allow air in from forward helps, too. Imho, we also need wind and water protection where it is cold, as well as sun protection where it is hot, or strong.

Ann
Old 12-09-2016, 23:51   #62

Boat: Catalina 470

A good bimini dodger set up is an absolute must for me, just wouldn't cruise without a good set up. I spend a majority of time in the cockpit. Ok it effects performance to a degree and some people prefer the clean streamline look of no bimini or dodger, for me this is a small price to pay, give me the comfort that comes from being out of the sun and the rain anyday. They can be set up well as to limit interference with watch keeping. I wouldnt have a boat with the traveller in the cockpit due to it getting in the way of a good binimi and my living space. I think you can make the set up look quite nice if the right person does the job.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 07:39   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
A good bimini dodger set up is an absolute must for me, just wouldn't cruise without a good set up. I spend a majority of time in the cockpit. Ok it effects performance to a degree and some people prefer the clean streamline look of no bimini or dodger, for me this is a small price to pay, give me the comfort that comes from being out of the sun and the rain anyday. They can be set up well as to limit interference with watch keeping. I wouldnt have a boat with the traveller in the cockpit due to it getting in the way of a good binimi and my living space. I think you can make the set up look quite nice if the right person does the job.
My boat is a high freeboard, center cockpit so I already have a strike against sleek lines and adding a dodger and bimini doesn't help. However as an engineer I learned to relate to function as beauty. The shade and comfort underway from a bimini is worth it.

My dodger also has an opening center section so in fair weather you can let the breeze blow through. Also, even with the bimini stowed the dodger covers the main companionway hatch so you can keep it open even in the rain, another significant comfort issue.

At the end of the day, both dodger and bimini fold up and lay on deck in front of the cockpit mostly out of the way so when you want you can go back to full, open air exposure or get that sleek look of the boat to impress your friends (or that extra 1/16 of of a knot to win the race).
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 13:17   #64

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

Many years ago I sailed chartered yachts in the Med without a Bimini - It was almost un livable . Today I could not sail without a Bimini , in addition I have loose zip on sides to provide extra shade when necessary , after all, you really live in the cockpit. I have a Beneteau 473 , which has twin wheels ,which makes moving around and access in the cockpit really great , it just gives one so much more space and comfort , it a huge plus .
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 04:50   #65

Boat: 2005 Hunter 33

Rohan, I too was questioning if a bimini or a dodger was a necessity when looking to buy a larger sailboat. I would say that the bimini is a necessity and a dodger is a "would be nice to have" item. While in the search process I was lucky to get to take some trips on various boats with delivery captains. The first was in April on a 2016 Beneteau 35 with no dodger and no bimini. We spent 35 hours straight on the boat with rain and night time temps dropping to 35 and 15 knot winds. I would have given anything for a bimini and a dodger. Spent 4 days in July on a 2014 Jeanneau 38 with just a bimini... what a diff it made! My selected boat has both. All summer I kept the dodger down to let air flow through the cockpit. This past week I went sailing with friends. It was hot (90 degrees) and humid, but with the bimini blocking the sun and a breeze it was actually pleasant. Whatever the cost, I would not do without a full large bimini.
jackjb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 14:11   #66

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Yes dodger, yes bimini. My traveler is aft the center cockpit. In the winter the dodger/bimini + full enclosure curtains provide a sun-room for entertaining. In the hot summer sun the Dodger/Bimini provide ample shade and the bimini can always be taken down in a couple minutes.

My neighbor has a gap between his dodger and bimini to accommodate the traveler and main-sheet
Old 14-09-2016, 23:11   #67
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
i could be wrong but, i am pretty sure the traveler is recessed into the sole of the cockpit and not the floor of the boat.

Either way you both better have a look. The track or the car maybe recessed but the rope hanging upwards from it sure aint recessed.

Have another look. Sure theres no main sheet on the mainsheet? Damn fine bit of engineering if they have done that!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini